• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

stern anchor

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So i asked the boss to get a stern anchor for Christmas which was done but She got me a 16 lbs Danforth Fluke anchor this thing is huge way to big as a stern anchor what are you using with success can I go down to a 8lbs or 10lbs?

Light twin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I use a 4kg ( a little over 8lbs) Danforth anchor for the stern and it works just fine. I did try a 2 kg Danforth - it was only slightly smaller - but it didn't work. So I use that one now as a garden ornament :shamefullyembarrased:

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@robert843 I use a very small fluke or a shore spike depends on the activity. With a box anchor at the bow doing most of the work, I don’t need much at the stern to keep the boat where I want it.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use the cheap 8lb West Marine Fluke anchor I usually walk it out a bit it bring it the beach where we anchor. I’ve never had an isssue holding either of my boats.

jeff_s

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the cheap 8lb West Marine Fluke anchor I usually walk it out a bit it bring it the beach where we anchor. I’ve never had an isssue holding either of my boats.
Same here. Worked for all my uses so far.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis can help you out with this. I use a 2 pound mantis,this thing is awsome, small fits in my wet locker no problem, I use a 8 pounder for the front

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843 as @Jebinok was saying the new Mantus anchors are incredible. In my signature, there is a link to my website. You can read about these anchors and watch some videos on these anchors too.

Ben Okopnik

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So i asked the boss to get a stern anchor for Christmas which was done but She got me a 16 lbs Danforth Fluke anchor this thing is huge way to big as a stern anchor what are you using with success can I go down to a 8lbs or 10lbs?
Just for perspective: I'm really conservative about sizing ground tackle - you would be too, after living aboard through 17 hurricanes in the Caribbean, with a number of them having passed directly overhead - and I could see using a 16-pounder as the main anchor for my 15' Rocket. Any weather that it won't hold me through would be bad enough to sink me, which I guess is a reasonable upper limit...

After 20+ years of living on anchor, lots of experience hooking into every possible kind of ground, and surviving lots of weather (while watching other people break loose), my take is that having chain to produce a good catenary is almost as important as the anchor itself - and that you need to be ready for the kind of ground you'll be hooking into. Mud, sand, shell, or any other "fine" media, and a good fluke type - I really like the aluminum Fortresses, but they're pricey - will work well, as long as you're not breaking out and resetting constantly. Note that I don't mean the cheap Walmart junk when I say "a good fluke type"; I'm talking actual Danforth or Fortress. The cheapo knockoffs always get the fluke angle wrong, which makes the anchor totally useless. By contrast, I used the Fortress FX-37 (21 lbs.) as a "lunch hook"/secondary storm anchor for my 16-ton steel ketch for my entire cruising career, and I trusted it completely.

However, flukes will just skate over hard bottom (e.g., iron coral) and hang up/break off in rocks. Also, their functionality as an anchor is far more about design than actual strength of construction, so while they're great on a straight pull, they pretty much turn to junk if they ever jam and get side-loaded. Claw anchors - e.g., Bruce, CQR, Rocna, Delta, Mantus, etc. - will do everything that flukes will do, plus hold in small to medium rock, plus reset flawlessly even in a strong blow. They do tend to be heavier per lb of holding power, but for the size of boats and the holding scenarios we're talking about here, the difference is so piddly that you'll never notice.

TLDR: a claw hook - use your waterline length in feet for the number of pounds it should be - for the bow, and a fluke of ~1/2 that weight for the stern makes a pretty good combo. A 24' boat, with an LWL of (say) 20' would be well-served by a 18-20-lb claw plus an 8 to 10-lb fluke anchor, and 20' of chain split evenly between them. The only reason to have more than that is bad holding ground in your cruising area, or if you know that you're going to anchor in stormy weather.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Either two 8 pound flukes, fore and aft, or a combination anchor and anchor pole, depending on the weather, waves, etc. I like the anchor pole for ease of deployment.