• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stock ballast conundrum

SColby7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry for the long read.

After two years/two knee surgeries my daughter was ready to get back to surfing. Back track to last Wednesday, we start to fill the ballast. Pump shuts off and we are ready to go. My daughter gives it a handful of tries and so do I. No push to be found, we headed back in. As we get ready to head back out for a ride around the lake I opened the engine hatch and noticed water in the engine compartment. Thought I forgot to turn the bilge on to make sure that any water that comes over the back gets pumped out. Fast track to Saturday when we have more people and figure lets give it a shot again. This time I had the bilge on and noticed it pumping water. Figured it may be some residual. My daughter finally was able to get an ok ride but still couldn’t manage to find any push so was on the rope the whole time. We decide to head out for one last run of the night. My daughter yells back at me that the ballast pump isn’t working and won’t stay running. So she lifts the seat to find an empty bag on the port side. I know I didn’t empty things so I was a little perplexed. I take a look and find the that the connector was off the bag. This whole time I’m pretty sure I was pumping water straight into the boat. My daughter crawls into the space and reconnects it. We end up letting things be till Sunday morning. I start to fill the bags and things seem to be going well until I hear the bilge pump running again. Connector popped off again. So now it’s time to start figuring out what I need or what I’m going to get to replace the stock bag(s). At least in the end we were able to fill our fat sack and manage to get two good/decent ropeless rides in.

Stock ballast is decent for light/young people on these boats - but lead for sure helps. If you really want a nice wave, go for the rear bag on back.

We usually have stock ballast filled, fat sack and/or ppl ballast as well. Usually can find a push to end up ropeless. Planning on digging into what the problem is with the connector/bag this coming weekend. I'm just glad we caught this problem so we don't keep pumping water into the engine compartment and partially filling it.

What connector does Yamaha use for their ballast system? If it’s the one with the red locking tab used in the Flow-Rite style connectors, check to make sure it’s locked and secure in place. You lock them by pushing them against the bag and unlock by moving the red tab towards the ballast hose.

IMG_5126.jpeg

What connector does Yamaha use for their ballast system? If it’s the one with the red locking tab used in the Flow-Rite style connectors, check to make sure it’s locked and secure in place. You lock them by pushing them against the bag and unlock by moving the red tab towards the ballast hose.

View attachment 223284
Those are what were used in my stock system/bags. 2013 may be the waterbed type style which tend to rip off quite easily. Not sure when Yamaha made that switch. I know my 2009 had those crappy screw on connectors that will pop right off.

I don't have a picture of it but it threads onto/into the bag. Its a tight space and not easy to reach but once I can get things out I'm planning on seeing what I can do to "upgrade" things to make it better.

Back