• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stock Bimini Dimensions

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can someone measure their stock bimini on an AR240? I am just looking the total length as I am getting a new tower and bimini to replace the stock set and want to make sure we have a larger bimini than stock.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I know this is off topic, but how is the 2.7 in the F150?

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I know this is off topic, but how is the 2.7 in the F150?
Its a rocketship! My father inlaw has a 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost and we pull away from him easily. Towing wise it tows like a dream. They really knocked it out of the park on this baby motor. I figured if they were borrowing materials and designs from the 6.7 diesel i use to tow my 20k pound fifth wheel then it had to be strong. It will get good mileage (22 or so) if you can keep your foot out of it! Where it really shines for mileage is in town. It has start stop technology so it shutsdown when you stop. Feels weird at first but you get used to it.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What gearing do you have?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have an older 242 Ls so the Bimini is set up different because my tower has a reversed arch to it but I believe the stock bimini's cover the same area. That is, from about the middle or top of the windshield to about two feet behind the driver's seat. This seems to be the case for most boats or at least yamah jet boats with a tower, it looks like the Bimini is short by design to account for the swing of the tow rope when it is attached. On the older Yamaha sx (no tower) the Bimini covered the entire cockpit from the windshield to the edge of the rear cockpit / swim deck seats. Some had a zip on extension to cover an additional three to four feet of the swim deck as well. Notice how Yamaha seemed to address the issue on its new flag ship was to make the Bimini much larger but have it sit at a steep angle so the rope can easily swing under the rear edge (it's also a fixed / non folding Bimini), I wonder if it would fit older 242s like mine?

Anyway, Given the cost of a new custom Bimini I wouldn't chance getting it wrong so I would take the measurements myself even if it meant going to a dealership to do it (assuming my boat was not easily accessible) or I would bring the boat in to the shop building the Bimini to have them measure it develop a proposal on how big and at what cost. if you have mounted speakers and / or a light bar to the tower you need to account for them as well.

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Its a rocketship! My father inlaw has a 2015 with the 3.5 ecoboost and we pull away from him easily. Towing wise it tows like a dream. They really knocked it out of the park on this baby motor. I figured if they were borrowing materials and designs from the 6.7 diesel i use to tow my 20k pound fifth wheel then it had to be strong. It will get good mileage (22 or so) if you can keep your foot out of it! Where it really shines for mileage is in town. It has start stop technology so it shutsdown when you stop. Feels weird at first but you get used to it.
Curious how this is possible? Same trucks, but the 3.5 eco has 40 more horses, and 45 more ft lbs of torque. Maybe they are geared differently? Sorry, not calling you out, but I am a huge F150 enthusiast and keep up with them fairly closely. I have a '13 with a 5.0 and it will move pretty good for a truck. I have heard the '15s and newer with the 5.0 will scream due to lighter weight and is tuned for more hp than the '13s. I was under the impression the 3.5eco was fastest, followed by the 5.0, then the 2.7. I know this is on paper though. I don't put much in to speed anyways since they are trucks. They are designed to work, not be racecars. There is no doubt the 3.5 eco will out tow all of the other motors.

Capture.JPG

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I stand corrected. Looks like the 2.7 is a tad quicker than the 3.5. I found a few test videos out on YouTube

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I stand corrected. Looks like the 2.7 is a tad quicker than the 3.5. I found a few test videos out on YouTube
Yeah, when I was researching the motor when it first came out some of the youtube reviews said it was the fastest minus the performance specific trucks. I can vouch this little guy puts you back in your seat! I think the 3.5 takes a bit to spool up since its not been updated with some of the newer innovations. I did hear a rumor that they would update the 3.5 with some of the new technology. I believe they are getting 600hp+ in the Ford GT. Thats just insane out of such small motors. The sound that the GT makes is insane...sounds like a jet engine.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, crazy what these little motors are putting out. Rumors swirling of ford putting a diesel in the 150 in the next few years. I'm trying to keep mine as long as possible but the new body style is very tempting.

On another note, if money were no object..

Ok, sorry for hijacking your thread. Back to the Bimini discussion.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have an older 242 Ls so the Bimini is set up different because my tower has a reversed arch to it but I believe the stock bimini's cover the same area. That is, from about the middle or top of the windshield to about two feet behind the driver's seat. This seems to be the case for most boats or at least yamah jet boats with a tower, it looks like the Bimini is short by design to account for the swing of the tow rope when it is attached. On the older Yamaha sx (no tower) the Bimini covered the entire cockpit from the windshield to the edge of the rear cockpit / swim deck seats. Some had a zip on extension to cover an additional three to four feet of the swim deck as well. Notice how Yamaha seemed to address the issue on its new flag ship was to make the Bimini much larger but have it sit at a steep angle so the rope can easily swing under the rear edge (it's also a fixed / non folding Bimini), I wonder if it would fit older 242s like mine?

Anyway, Given the cost of a new custom Bimini I wouldn't chance getting it wrong so I would take the measurements myself even if it meant going to a dealership to do it (assuming my boat was not easily accessible) or I would bring the boat in to the shop building the Bimini to have them measure it develop a proposal on how big and at what cost. if you have mounted speakers and / or a light bar to the tower you need to account for them as well.
Im not actually getting a new bimini made. We are replacing the stock tower with a Aerial Freeride which you can get a 7ft bimini for. I just wanted to compare the size of the stock bimini to the new bimini. Mine is handing from a ceiling in the garage so its not easily accessible otherwise I would measure it myself. ;)

JJ-B-Boatin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
While I do not have a jet boat yet (I have a 20' I/O) I would recommend going with the 7' cover for your application. We currently have a 6' bimini on ours and it give us good shade without looking huge on the boat when open. With you having a larger boat, I believe you could easily handle the 7' and get a good amount a shade without it looking like the top is completely over powering the boat (from an appearance perspective).

Top Bottom