• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stock rod on A-60

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looking to replace a break away cable. I can’t get one of the pins/rods out to pull out the surge brake. Any ideas? I’ve tried PB blaster and a 4lb dead weight

When I changed my breakaway cable a couple of years ago, I had a hard time getting the pins out until I compressed the trailer tongue. I used a tie down strap with a crank if I remember properly.

The pins are held in place by c-clips. You should be able to get them out with a set of small screw drivers or needle nose pliers if yon don’t have a c-clip tool.

pacific trailers sells the cable. I had to replace mine many years ago when it cost $3.50.

you may find it easier to replace the entire surge brake assembly than just the cable.

Attachments

• 661C4CC4-6D0F-4292-B1CA-1CC5F3FA0405.png
    661C4CC4-6D0F-4292-B1CA-1CC5F3FA0405.png
    969.1 KB · Views: 8
I got the C clips out no problem. One on each side of each pin, just the back pin doesn’t want to move. I’ll try the ratchet method suggested above.

Why not a hammer and some scrap wood?

@adrianp89 would you mind posting a couple pics when you get it apart?
Mine got hung up on my hitch the other day after I unloaded and it pulled the cable out. Brakes aren’t locked up but I found this little mangled piece of metal on the ground that I think might be the retaining washer.

As far as those rods, I looked at mine and the rear one spins and moves around freely. The front one wont budge but maybe that’s the spring.

FB39675A-7182-430C-9928-970E5C41217A.jpeg

I used a strap to compress it about half way and still nothing. Next step will be trying to compress all the way with the truck. It moves side to side but it moves the housing. So it seems like it’s stuck on the inside, not on the tongue.

I tried to use the other pin as a point to hit it on but it did Nothing.

That sucks. How old is the trailer?

my only other idea is to use a small sledge and tap (pretty hard) all around the hitch. Hopefully that loosens it.

did you use PB Blaster from underneath? A lot of the mechanism should be visible.

I found this video a while ago and wish I had seen it before I took my actuator apart. He actually has no problem with the pins (and the trailer is pretty rusty) but at least you see the tool he used.

if nothing else, this video should be helpful once you get the pins out.

Yeah sprayed everywhere I can with PB.

Trailer is less than a year old but has seen quite a few trips to salt. ~110hours on the boat.

I found this video a while ago and wish I had seen it before I took my actuator apart. He actually has no problem with the pins (and the trailer is pretty rusty) but at least you see the tool he used.

if nothing else, this video should be helpful once you get the pins out.

He made that look easy lol. I have a short chide I tried with the dead blow and no luck.

I wonder if I need to disconnect the line.

That he did. It does look like he sprayed it with something though. Maybe try WD40? I’d be surprised but you never know.

which one is frozen btw? The one that slides or the stationary one?

That stationary one. The front one came out super easy.

Maybe try to twist it with some big vice grips or something. You’ll possibly screw up one end of the rod but you may need a new one anyway after this.

A little heat applied carefully to the rod might help break the rust too.

You can see from video that the stationary pin goes through frame, the two plastic wheels and the master cylinder. If your master cylinder is made of cast iron like in the video, it could be corroded by the salt. I can’t see the frame or plastic wheels stopping the pin so my bet would on the master cylinder.

can you get a big pair of vice grips on the end of the pin? If not, I’d use a cold chisel and a small sledge and whack it pretty good. I think you've tried this so maybe hit it harder?

Busy weekend, haven't had time to mess with it again. I am going to try heat and the vice grips to see if I can get it to budge.

No luck on compressing it all the way. No luck with heat and vice grips. Though I have a baby heat gun and not a torch.

I re-assembled and let it go for another day lol.

Back