• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Student loan forgiveness....

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Typically standard practice for those that want to hide their location. Using a VPN does not avoid tracking cookies.
Well shit.

I will say I've noticed a lot less annoying ads on opera so maybe it's doing something else with the cookies too?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well shit.

I will say I've noticed a lot less annoying ads on opera so maybe it's doing something else with the cookies too?
Where did you obtain your Opera browser? There is a legitimate Opera.com browser that was originally developed to use compression to speed web browsing.

My kids downloaded a version of the Opera browser that was spyware onto their computers years ago.

Opera may be blocking some ads or ad tracking. Both Apple and Google are making moves to cut back on ad tracking. Your IPs are bouncing all over the place via VPNs registered to Opera.

Just remember that you now are sending all your traffic through a third party that you do not know. I could offer you a free VPN and capture all of your communications. Some will be encrypted in ways that I can not open them. Others will not.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where did you obtain your Opera browser? There is a legitimate Opera.com browser that was originally developed to use compression to speed web browsing.

My kids downloaded a version of the Opera browser that was spyware onto their computers years ago.

Opera may be blocking some ads or ad tracking. Both Apple and Google are making moves to cut back on ad tracking. Your IPs are bouncing all over the place via VPNs registered to Opera.

Just remember that you now are sending all your traffic through a third party that you do not know. I could offer you a free VPN and capture all of your communications. Some will be encrypted in ways that I can not open them. Others will not.
Google play store. That's a very valid point, I suppose. I mainly downloaded it because it blocked all the obnoxious banner ads, which chrome and Samsung internet would not.

I believe android Opera is based on Firefox... Could be wrong though. I guess Firefox would be an option to look into as well for me. I just hate ads, lol.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
And the time of reckoning is upon us...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
And the time of reckoning is upon us...
Utter stupidity. More inflation, more handouts to the most corrupt public institution, more taxes to pay for it all, and a message of "if you just keep failing someone else will save you". All paid for by a middle class that will largely see no benefit and bear the burden. Honestly, this guy has the magical ability to totally screw up everything he touches.

Hopefully it gets blocked.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What happened with student loan payments. Were they delayed again?

Restarting payments seems like a good way to reduce inflation.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What happened with student loan payments. Were they delayed again?

Restarting payments seems like a good way to reduce inflation.
Official details to come out later today, basically 10k forgiveness, payment pause extended to Dec 31.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are handing out so much damn money around this pitiful globe.....what's another 300,000,000,000 billion to add to the debt? Spend it here and not there.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
We are handing out so much damn money around this pitiful globe.....what's another 300,000,000,000 billion to add to the debt? Spend it here and not there.
To be fair, I'd rather they use money to forgive student loans than support Ukraine.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be fair, I'd rather they use money to forgive student loans than support Ukraine.
I'd rather they did neither and maybe didn't make inflation worse.

They need to be taking mo ey out of the system, not adding more in.

At least with Ukraine the money is being co verted intonweapons and equipment and supplies made by us companies. Student loan forgiveness just gives a broken system to keep making the same mistakes they made.

The right way to do this all is simple. Make the schools be the lenders, but lending at a set rate. People can't pay their loans, the schools lose out. There is nothing that checks or balances the educational industry now, and this just makes it worse.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I said the same without crossing the political boundary

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It is really a bad idea both politically and economically.
Politically the middle and upper class will receive most of the loan forgiveness. Doubtful it buys any midterm votes. Also a precedent for future promises.
Economically, there won’t be a ton of free cash released as loan payments have been suspended for the last 18 months. Nobody saved their payments they bave been spending it right along.
And yes I paid my way and my kids way. What do I get from this—-a slap in the face.
Best solution is turn the loans back to private loans and let the market determine what it will bear. College tuition has been rising 2X inflation because of all the easy to obtain student loans.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make the universities pay it back....but no, God forbid Harvard with their 30 to 40? billion endowment (as well as other institutes of higher learning lol) give some credit back to the students! But Lord knows that will never occur

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is really a bad idea both politically and economically.
Politically the middle and upper class will receive most of the loan forgiveness.
The income limits are definitely high. I thought I saw much lower limits than the $125k single / $250k married when the news broke.

$250k isn’t insane money for a family in a lot of parts of this country, but those people can certainly afford to pay back that last $10k that just got forgiven.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A person making 100k can pay 10gs,
So much wrong with these limits. I am not for paying off any student debt, but lets be reasonable if anyone is making 75 to 125k a year, 10 grand is not that hard to pay off. I bet some have more than 10k in credit card debt if they cant pay a student loan. This is completely asinine!
This is just more free stimulus for a certain targeted group

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It almost seems like it is being done to buy votes. I know the big colleges here as well as others are between $20k-$40k per year. I don't agree with the costs but that is another topic. U of M, Michigan State, Wayne State, Oakland University, etc. etc. So what really does $10k do? Nothing. I don't agree with paying off student loans. I do think the cost of an education really need to be looked at and adjusted.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the limit had been like 45k, OK, you know what, those people need help. But if you're pulling in 6 figures, no way. And if you're pulling 6 figured but can't afford to pay your loans because of cost of living... stop being an idiot and move.

The idea that the limit is anything higher than median income in the US is absurd. Good thing the president doesn't actually have the power or authority to do this.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This country is a joke now. The inmates have taken charge of the asylum. Doesn’t matter to me. I just feel sorry for my kids.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Cancelling student debt is canceling personal responsibility as far as I'm concerned. Where does it end? Up next will be people wanted their car loans forgiven.... their mortgages.... etc.

Personal responsibility solves a lot of problems. While I agree the cost of college is out of control... especially since teachers spend more time talking about their own beliefs than unbiased subject matter.... student loan debt wouldn't nearly be the problem it is if.....

1) People determined if the degree they want to pursue will produce earnings to cover their loans as well as their life pursuits. A degree in Philosophy usually won't pay the bills.

2) People don't start racking up debt until they know what they want to be when they grow up. Changing majors multiple times usually results in delayed graduation and higher cost. Take some classes at the local community college while you work and figure it out. Maybe you decide college isn't for you and you would rather be an electrician, plumber, etc.

3) People work more than one job if necessary to pay off their loans before taking on more debt.

I did #1 an #3 and it worked out for me just fine.

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did #1 an #3 and it worked out for me just fine.
Same here - in step one I decided I wasn't cut out for four years of college so I enrolled in a Electrical Engineering Tech School, graduated and went to work to pay off that loan. After one year I went back to school in a Computer Science Tech School and worked a night shift (in an EE related field) at the same time so I could keep up with my financial obligations - I signed the loan papers and created that obligation for myself, no one put a gun to my head to make me sign them.