• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Student loan forgiveness....

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I work at a successful Toyota dealer and we cant get entry level lube techs to apply and the ones that do have no ambition. These kids will never go to college or be ambitious like myself. Lazy, not willing to learn at all. I have seen one guy in the last 10 years make it to a very high level tech.
Most of this new generation is not motivated at all, they are looking for the easiest road and have no idea what that is as well.
When i started in this business in the early 90s i was on the desk, and did pretty good but never made more than 50k or so. As a tech the only one holding me back was me. I dont stop when i am working and only work 40 to 45 hours a week an make well north of 100k . If i would have been a tech right from high school i would be well over 200k by now.
I have only been on the floor for 14 years give or take.
My point is yes there are alternatives to a college educated job that pay very good, but getting this young crowd on board to actually work hard at is near impossible

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, my best lessons were from the school of hard knocks. You have to remember that a lot of the people that are calling for forgiveness, are also the same people that are living off their parents as well.
Like I said before, any system will have abusers. I don't have strong data to support my position here, but I really do feel that they are more the minority than the majority. I've had a pretty "glass half full" view on most things. Maybe I'm just not as galvanized as others, maybe as I get older I just want to help more people out and have become increasingly liberal. Good chance it's coming from a seat of VERY high privilege. Who knows. I just really think this is a problem we can solve, get it off the docket and move on to more pressing things. Make some compromises, get it done, and get on with it.

Maybe I should run for Congress?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I work at a successful Toyota dealer and we cant get entry level lube techs to apply and the ones that do have no ambition. These kids will never go to college or be ambitious like myself. Lazy, not willing to learn at all. I have seen one guy in the last 10 years make it to a very high level tech.
Most of this new generation is not motivated at all, they are looking for the easiest road and have no idea what that is as well.
When i started in this business in the early 90s i was on the desk, and did pretty good but never made more than 50k or so. As a tech the only one holding me back was me. I dont stop when i am working and only work 40 to 45 hours a week an make well north of 100k . If i would have been a tech right from high school i would be well over 200k by now.
My point is yes there are alternatives to a college educated job that pay very good, but getting this young crowd on board to actually work hard at is near impossible
Ding, ding, ding and to think my dad's generation thought we were lazy.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hard times make tough men. Tough men make easy times. Easy times make soft men. Soft men make hard times.

I do agree, we're on the tail end of "easy times", and seeing the result of that in the workforce.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both can be true. The students taking the loans are partly to blame, and collusion to increase prices financed with loans should be addressed and if any laws were broken, prosecution is ok.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder who raised these kids? In all honesty, the incentives in our culture all seem to run the wrong direction and the kids are likely picking up on this. Anyone looking will probably notice that those working the hardest are some of the lowest paid, while some of the highest paid seem to do little to no "work" proportionate to their reward. Why wouldn't they conclude working hard is for suckers? If you have to pick up heavy stuff for work you probably aren't making much money, but if you're rich and you leverage other peoples labor you get a yacht and free path to the senate/presidency. The Kardashian family is worth billions and haven't done a bit of visible "work." Hell, I like to have my kids watch shows like Gold Rush and Deadliest catch since that's about the only place in our media culture that the can see a man/woman get paid for actual hard work. The only other examples of wealthy men they'll see are men who get weekly manicures, or wear makeup.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I worked the lube pit and graduated to swapping out recalled Firestone tires at a Ford dealer for my first two years of college. Horrible, horrible job, but paid better than restaurants at the time and I had my nights free.

May have puked in the pit a few times at 7 on a Saturday morning, but I showed up and got the job done. It was definitely a character builder.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I worked the lube pit and graduated to swapping out recalled Firestone tires at a Ford dealer for my first two years of college. Horrible, horrible job, but paid better than restaurants at the time and I had my nights free.

May have puked in the pit a few times at 7 on a Saturday morning, but I showed up and got the job done. It was definitely a character builder.
Showing your age..... those recalled tires were on the rollover exploders, correct?
I remember those days

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is no recourse for failing anymore. It all started years ago in our education system. Not to mention youth sports. Oh, don't tell Johnny he lost, he did his best, let's give them all a participation trophy. That became, if you get a failing grade on a test or exam, don't worry, we'll give you a grace period to retake the test and bring your grade up. I saw this come into play when my kids were in high school. There was no motivation for working hard and doing it right the first time. The government is now doing the same thing. Mortgage bail outs, student loan forgiveness, free needles to shoot up heroin in CA. Shit, now it's the military. Media making a big deal out of sailors committing suicide because it's so tough to be in the military serving on a ship. Gimmie a freakin break man. USA is soft, and only getting softer. It's sad to watch.

I lectured my own kids the other day. My daughter is engaged and getting married in Oct. They have been renting a 4 bedroom house for the last 2 years and the damn thing is fully furnished. Now they are complaining about not being able to buy a house do to the bubble. I'm like shit guys, your Mom and I lived in 3 different apartments and a town house for the first 5 years of our marriage. All the shit we owned could fit in one of those U-Haul pull behind trailers. You guys want it all and want it immediately. You want the good life but you haven't earned it yet. Suffering is good. Suffering and sacrifice make you stronger, and better yet makes you really appreciate the good life once you have it. You won't ever take for granted what you have, once you have had to grind it out to get it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm with you in all except, If we have a position anywhere with an increased incidence of Suicide, that needs to be reviewed and improved. Can't have it be OK folks are having such a hard time in a particular post they are just killing themselves. Not the type of failure I'm OK with. Enough crap in the world to cause you harm, someone to the point of harming themselves due to pressure of the position, we need to figure out and make better (Specially in a defense position where they are working for the country's benefit)

Otherwise, full agreement.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Showing your age..... those recalled tires were on the rollover exploders, correct?
I remember those days
Yep, late 90s/2000.

Exploders weren’t too bad but the expeditions with 17” steel rims weighed about half of what I did at the time. Change them nonstop all day and make a giant pile and then drill holes in them with a 1” hole saw after hours so no one could steal them.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is no recourse for failing anymore. It all started years ago in our education system. Not to mention youth sports. Oh, don't tell Johnny he lost, he did his best, let's give them all a participation trophy. That became, if you get a failing grade on a test or exam, don't worry, we'll give you a grace period to retake the test and bring your grade up. I saw this come into play when my kids were in high school. There was no motivation for working hard and doing it right the first time. The government is now doing the same thing. Mortgage bail outs, student loan forgiveness, free needles to shoot up heroin in CA. Shit, now it's the military. Media making a big deal out of sailors committing suicide because it's so tough to be in the military serving on a ship. Gimmie a freakin break man. USA is soft, and only getting softer. It's sad to watch.

I lectured my own kids the other day. My daughter is engaged and getting married in Oct. They have been renting a 4 bedroom house for the last 2 years and the damn thing is fully furnished. Now they are complaining about not being able to buy a house do to the bubble. I'm like shit guys, your Mom and I lived in 3 different apartments and a town house for the first 5 years of our marriage. All the shit we owned could fit in one of those U-Haul pull behind trailers. You guys want it all and want it immediately. You want the good life but you haven't earned it yet. Suffering is good. Suffering and sacrifice make you stronger, and better yet makes you really appreciate the good life once you have it. You won't ever take for granted what you have, once you have had to grind it out to get it.
Did you give your kids a better life (material stuff wise) than your parents gave you and your wife?

edit: posted too soon. I feel like we’re all striving to improve our own financial situation and give our kids the best start possible but it exacerbates this issue. To the point made above about tough times, strong men, etc.

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I see your point, but my parents gave me a better life but I didn’t take that and then go into a mountain of debt just because I thought I was entitled to it.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I see your point, but my parents gave me a better life but I didn’t take that and then go into a mountain of debt just because I thought I was entitled to it.
Totally, same here. I wasn’t trying to make excuses for anyone.

My first kid isn’t even two yet so I think about how to avoid him being a bum a lot. Not an easy problem.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both can be true. The students taking the loans are partly to blame, and collusion to increase prices financed with loans should be addressed and if any laws were broken, prosecution is ok.
It'd be pretty easy to prove that universities engaged in racketeering methinks.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nah VP you have to dodge interviews and stuff. I want something that's purely a big money behind the scenes consultant gig.
I'll bring you in as a special advisor for rec activities and fiscal responsibility overview. Monthly meetings on the water to make it legit.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll bring you in as a special advisor for rec activities and fiscal responsibility overview. Monthly meetings on the water to make it legit.
Let's add in resource conservation and climate change so we can do it in the keys!