• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sub & Amp installation checklist and questions

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting ready to order and install an amp and sub in my 2014 AR210 and would like to ask for some tips and opinion.

Amp: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-D5000-5-5-Channel-Amplifier-PAD5000-5/dp/B005ZKFZEQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1404924183&sr=1-9&keywords=5 channel class d amplifier
or
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosg...&ie=UTF8&qid=1404924788&sr=1-1#productDetails
(will be upgrading interior speakers later)
Sub: JL M10IB5
Cables and Connectors: Will be ordering from here: http://www.genuinedealz.com/marine-wire?size=57
Fuse Holder: recommendations would be appreciated.

Amp will be installed under the helm area. If anyone know about how much cable is needed to run from there to the battery on port side?
Subwoofer location is still not decided yet. There are 2 options which might work for me.
Option 1 is port side wall under passenger seat. (not sure it will fit or not) Has anyone put their sub here?
Option 2 is on starboard side wall behind captain's chair. I'd prefer not to put it here because this is where I put my cooler. (easier to remove cushion)
I'm open to more ideas.
2012_SP_AR_210_blk_3.png

Last edited:
You could probably get by with 15' of power and ground but I'd get 20' to be safe. Remember power and ground cables need to both go straight to the battery (thru a fuse for power of course) and be close to the same length (closer the better). You can save some length going diagonal across the fuel tank. Either amp would be fine, but I'd run 4ga power and ground, 2/0 gauge if you think you'd ever add another amp down the road (i.e. for tower speakers).

Either sub option would be fine and both would sound similar. Can you put the sub facing the drivers chair? That would be out of the way for a cooler I'd think. Make sure you add some support for your sub mount (i.e. wood trim ring).

You could probably get by with 15' of power and ground but I'd get 20' to be safe. Remember power and ground cables need to both go straight to the battery (thru a fuse for power of course) and be close to the same length (closer the better). You can save some length going diagonal across the fuel tank. Either amp would be fine, but I'd run 4ga power and ground, 2/0 gauge if you think you'd ever add another amp down the road (i.e. for tower speakers).

Either sub option would be fine and both would sound similar. Can you put the sub facing the drivers chair? That would be out of the way for a cooler I'd think. Make sure you add some support for your sub mount (i.e. wood trim ring).

I will be running 4Ga. Do you really need tinned cable? It's going to cost me about $70 for just power and ground if I go with 40'.
As for the sub, facing the driver chair is going to be hard since it's a curve surface. That was an option until I read a thread on the "other" site involving that. Doesn't look like fun, especially in 100+ heat we will be having soon in DFW.
Ideally, I would like to install it on the passenger side. But I'm afraid it might not fit due to the spot where the passenger seat would go on the SX.
digi48597081.jpg

I went with a different amp, due to money situations. I chose a different sub because a member had a WetSounds at a good price. What you are looking at though seems great. I am sure you will like it. I mounted my sub in Option 2 in your pic. I like it there. It seems out of the way. I think it sounds great, but have not been in someone else's boat where it was in a different location. I ran my power leads the same way as you did also.

I pondered the fuse for a while too. I finally decided on this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Amp-In-L..._Video_Fuses_Fuse_Holders&hash=item41817b8783

I am no audio expert, but this fuse seems to be working just fine. I like the design on it.

I have two subs facing eachother and they sound AWESOME as far as wire just run them over your fuel tank diagonal...u will see an opeing to the battery area and the helm just get a hanger and fish it through

Attachments

• Jet Boat 5.jpg
    Jet Boat 5.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Jet Boat 6.jpg
    Jet Boat 6.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
What about mounting it in the space in front of the passenger seat facing back?

Yep! Empty space would be my guess. How far can you see back from the bow cushion?

I have a JL amp and was reading the directions. It says to ground the amp about 36in from the amp. I don't think this is possible on my 240 if I mount the amp where the steering linkages are at in the compartment behind the HU. From what I've read here, I have to run a ground all the way to the battery, is that correct? I have the 4AWG wire, 20' of it.

Dont forget to set the crossover on the amp to limit the base to your main speakers. You dont want anything under 90hz going to them. Mine is behind captains chair

I have a JL amp and was reading the directions. It says to ground the amp about 36in from the amp. I don't think this is possible on my 240 if I mount the amp where the steering linkages are at in the compartment behind the HU. From what I've read here, I have to run a ground all the way to the battery, is that correct? I have the 4AWG wire, 20' of it.
So far, everyone seem to be running the ground to the battery. There are no ground spots on boats.

Dont forget to set the crossover on the amp to limit the base to your main speakers. You dont want anything under 90hz going to them. Mine is behind captains chair
Behind the captain's chair is a perfect spot, but it's difficult on my boat due to the curve.

In a car, the shorter the ground the better since you can find a ground almost anywhere. On a boat it's much more difficult so you have to go back to the battery. As long as your power and ground are about the same length you'll be fine. If ou try getting power or ground from anywhere else, you'll introduce noise into your system and that's a pain to find and remove.

bro just put it facing the center either on the rt or left side by the rear...its pretty much the standard area it seems...and it wont take up a lot of room inside the compartment.......don't forget to get some good speaker rings for support

Also, check the amp manual @Noko , 4 ga wire may be fine in some installs, but you likely will run greater distance than 20' due to out of battery compartment, into engine compartment, out of engine compartment, into starboard seat compartment, up into gunwale harness, forward to helm compartment...then at least 5' to snake neatly onto the amp board and tie it out of the way. I ran about 23' on my 230. You can save a foot or two by running into the fuel tank compartment and up the side of it, thru the steering tunnel, and into the helm. But your still over 20'. So 4ga may be fine for under 10' but depending on your amp selection and its recommended power requirements, you may need 2ga or even 0ga. I ran 4ga for my 700w/5ch JL amp, but if I were running two amps or anything bigger, I would have needed 2ga or bigger. You can run one set of larger cables the distance, and then a distribution block, and smaller cables to individual amps...but it is based on resistance and amperage, so check the charts.

bro just put it facing the center either on the rt or left side by the rear...its pretty much the standard area it seems...and it wont take up a lot of room inside the compartment.......don't forget to get some good speaker rings for support
Look like those are my only 2 options right now.

Decided to install the sub on port side next to table mount. The 10" fits perfectly in that location. Just need to know if anyone else have their sub at that location? Anything to look for before cutting a big hole? 2012_SP_AR_210_blk_2.png

Back