• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sub Movin'?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So when you guys do this the boat self nails through scupper in how long? Or do you bail some of it with buckets also? Does water get down in engine bay?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I've never put enough water in the boat doing it to have to worry about it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We took our wave over the bow last season and it flood the interior of the boat with 6” to 8” of water instantly. This depth only gets deeper in the cockpit when the boat is moving forward, at all.

I estimate it would take between 5 and 10 minutes for the water to drain through the scupper but it seems like hours when you are a ankle deep and all eyes are on you.

The main thing to remember is not to panic (e.g. cry, piss or shit yourself, start yelling at your spouse, crew, guests, anyone), quietly praying and/or making deals with your God(s) is OK. Then I Recommend that the following actions be taken; verify the bilge pump is on, open the ski locker and let all the water into it, pull the plug in the ski locker, ride around until the bilge is emptied (to your satisfaction), resume regularly scheduled activities (after a few minutes to debrief by talking smack and pretending it was no big deal or all planned, pat yourself on the back, have a drink, smoke, etc.).

DO NOT; turn the engine(s) off or open the engine compartment or head compartment doors (doing so will cause them to flood) before all the water is drained from the cockpit.

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We took our wave over the bow last season and it flood the interior of the boat with 6” to 8” of water instantly. This depth only gets deeper in the cockpit when the boat is moving forward, at all.

I estimate it would take between 5 and 10 minutes for the water to drain through the scupper but it seems like hours when you are a ankle deep and all eyes are on you.

The main thing to remember is not to panic (e.g. cry, piss or shit yourself, start yelling at your spouse, crew, guests, anyone), quietly praying and/or making deals with your God(s) is OK. Then I Recommend that the following actions be taken; verify the bilge pump is on, open the ski locker and let all the water into it, pull the plug in the ski locker, ride around until the bilge is emptied (to your satisfaction), resume regularly scheduled activities (after a few minutes to debrief by talking smack and pretending it was no big deal or all planned, pat yourself on the back, have a drink, smoke, etc.).

DO NOT; turn the engine(s) off or open the engine compartment or head compartment doors (doing so will cause them to flood) before all the water is drained from the cockpit.
In bold. Yes I felt that way briefly. Til I looked and saw the bilge pumping out the side. lol I just kept driving along slowly. maybe a couple minutes tops. :) But, I scared her, and soaked the snack bag in the process...so shame on :D me. She apologized for the reaction later. :winkingthumbsup"

On the IO. Theres plenty of room, I wasnt even close to it being a problem. Actually. When we looked at the boat, the owner trialed it for me, and FORGOT THE PLUG!. We get out to middle. Open the hatch to look at drivetrain. "ummmm there always supposed to be this much water in your bilge?" LOL

not too familiar with Yamaha engine placement, though what Iv'e seen at dealer and in photos, i looks similar.... theres TONS of room beneath, and around the motors, and in the ski locker etc...water will find its way out before it hurts anything. But i'm sure there's a limit.

Theres a couple vids of seadoos doin it, where I Might question it..water over everyones laps etc... dont think I'd do that.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ronnie, this was crazy as it happened to us this past week!! My wife was pulling my buddy and I on two tubes. She managed to toss me, and was powering through a circle back to pick me up. I normally cut throttle right away, when we have a drop, but she slowed down gradually, putting up a huge wake that she proceeded to slice into. It put a major amount of water over the bow!!!

All I know, is she kept circling around me floating in the water, and I was wondering what the deal was. She kept yelling, I don't want to stop, as the water is draining out! WTF! She said there was 6-8" of water throughout the cabin, and the dogs got washed off their favorite perches in the bow and were swimming in the water!! She was not totally freaked out, as she had seen this in our previous boat, but knew what to do. Stay on the gas enough to get the water to go to the drain. It drained with minimal going into the ski locker and head.

The twin JL Subs were exposed to water obviously, but they performed as expected and merely shrugged off the water. I don't care to do this on a regular basis, but it is nice to know the boat and electronics perform as designed.

Quick follow up question to this experience. Where the hell is the drain in the floor of the head? Of course water got in around the door, but how does it get out? I ended up sponging it out with a towel. I think a floor drain mod is in the works.

Be safe kids!

Last edited:

Jerh1220

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Still no new boat here...many reasons... but still hanging around. useful info here, boating or otherwise.

One of the things I enjoyed seeing was vids/pics of you guys with jets doing the "sub move" something I considered as a positive for jet drive(no gearbox, instant reverse) I also have a foggy memory of my uncle ('put some hair on your peaches boy' type) doing this in a gold flaked gelcoated glastron. I could only assume it was a jet... but I'm guessing I was 5...6 maybe. I remember the day fondly.

With an I/O all you can really do is come off throttle on a big wake at idle.. I do this by doing a 180, coming off throttle as i cross my own wake....fun. but its not the same rush lol no "sub" just a splash.

I did this last weekend, splashing my boys sitting in the bow. I was idling forward. soaked them and their towels, looked like 2" off water over the bow.... but only required about 30 seconds of bilge pump to remove it.

My wife was tempororaily INCENSED hahah but came out of it. kids faces washed momentarily with fear, followed by huge smiles. -Its happened before, just accidentally crossing a huge cruisers wake.

Now. being that its HER that wants the Yamaha, i explained to her about the sub move, and How jet owners do this sometimes, and that i would be doing it at least once. She looked confused.

so. curious, how many of you do this? and if you do....and have a photo, or video, id like to see it so that I may send it to her. (probably make her more mad but....) :D
I have done this dozens of times in my AR230 HO. Its fun as hell and the kids and grandkids love it. Just make sure all your bilge pumps work and pull the bow up and let it drain. I've had water up to the bottom of my seat (16"-18") and never had any problems with it.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^^^^Sounds great for resale value :D

Jerh1220

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^^^^Sounds great for resale value :D
Doesn't hurt it. I've had the boat since 2009 and have subbed it at least 10 times every summer and I have never had any issues. If your scared just say scared lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea ok. I'm sure if you were upfront with a potential buyer and said "oh hey bro, I intentionally swamped the hell out of my boat up to my seats on the regular" I'm sure that just goes over real well lol. Yes I'd walk and go find one that wasn't abused but hey just do you. It's your boat afterall but most buyers given the chance of 2 identical boats to buy would pick the one that wasn't intentionally swamped....just a hunch lol.

Jerh1220

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I sold it I would show the new owner how to do it. We go to Smith Lake and Guntersville all the time, meet us one day and I'll show you how to break your cherry. It's always scary the first time. lol

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I sold it I would show the new owner how to do it. We go to Smith Lake and Guntersville all the time, meet us one day and I'll show you how to break your cherry. It's always scary the first time. lol
I would sub my Sea-Do XP all the time into the gulf waves and large cabin cruiser waves. Trim it up, give it a brap and if you timed it right off a wave you could sub an X4 hull XP almost like a standup ski where you literlally make the thing disappear under the water! Ate water and smacked my face plenty lol. Subbing a boat doesn't really appeal to me at all so I'm all good but thanks for the offer,

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems like the same as doing burnouts in your brand new vehicle and beating the shit out of it. At a certain point in life I think you realize that things are expensive and it's just kinda dumb, but to each their own.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
purposely doing stunts like this doesnt scare me off.

accidentally sinking a boat due to negligence, that DOES lol

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Some folks need to take a step back and understand the difference between water over the bow and in the cabin space in comparison to truly swamped. Most will define swamped as filling the bilge and in the engine bay causing damage. That will not happen with a traditional sub move if your hatches are closed, and seats in place. It will drain right out the floor drain and out the scupper valve.

These boats were designed to take a fair amount of water in the cabin without touching a single thing it can harm. Not only do that but drain out without even coming close to electronics or engines.

So yes, i showed the buyer of my previous SeaDoo X20 the video of my boat with over 6 million views in Australia and nearly a half million views on my YouTube channel. As it proved that it can take it. As I did it 8 years prior to selling it to him.

As others have said, one mans fun is another mans abuse. Do what is comfortable for you. I have yet to do it in my 242LS, as I have very expensive “marine rated” subs low in the hull. I don’t care to test that rating by putting a few inches of water over them. But will I put a splash over the kids in the bow given a “safe” chance sure I will.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some folks need to take a step back and understand the difference between water over the bow and in the cabin space in comparison to truly swamped. Most will define swamped as filling the bilge and in the engine bay causing damage. That will not happen with a traditional sub move if your hatches are closed, and seats in place. It will drain right out the floor drain and out the scupper valve.

These boats were designed to take a fair amount of water in the cabin without touching a single thing it can harm. Not only do that but drain out without even coming close to electronics or engines.

So yes, i showed the buyer of my previous SeaDoo X20 the video of my boat with over 6 million views in Australia and nearly a half million views on my YouTube channel. As it proved that it can take it. As I did it 8 years prior to selling it to him.

As others have said, one mans fun is another mans abuse. Do what is comfortable for you. I have yet to do it in my 242LS, as I have very expensive “marine rated” subs low in the hull. I don’t care to test that rating by putting a few inches of water over them. But will I put a splash over the kids in the bow given a “safe” chance sure I will.
yeah think I said it earlier... But chop the power in my little I/O right before a wake, and the bow smashes it. A wall of water up over the bow BRIEFLY. just enough to soak the passengers and send a stream down to the bilge..... bilge ran for <30 seconds.

some of those sub move vids are well outside my comfort zones, but i don't see how it would hurt the boat.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you want to AVOID this, do you come off the throttle slowly or quickly? I've found that the bow dips dramatically just coming off of plane so I try to do it gently. But it occurs to me that maybe this was unintentionally enhancing the effect 😅