• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer install complete!

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finished the sub Install today. Damn was it hot, I knew I should got my ass going early. I noticed an the back side of the cooler storage area, there was fiberglass laid over almost like a repair job but I could see why. Is this normal and do other boats have this same thing? It created a little more work because the backing ring wouldn't sit flush. Now to tune it all. I tried but it's too difficult doing it yourself when the amp is in the helm. Back and forth in 90 degree temperatures is not good. I did get it to a point where the bass was thumping and sounded pretty good

Attachments

Emmett

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks good Kevin, thanks for the update. I'm about a week away from starting my "project."

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What tool did you use to cut the hole? Also, did you cut the carpet first, or did you cut the fiberglass and carpet at the same time?

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@bigblank69 I used a trim router (Ryobi Electric trim router) and yes, I pulled and cut the carpet out prior to cutting since I knew it would be a pain trying to cut it too.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
looks good. I used a jigsaw and carbide grit fiberglass cutting blade to cut mine. It sliced through the fiberglass like a knife through hot butter.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Kevin M reading some older posts I saw some said the were was a metal sheet in the fiberglass in that location did you notice that as well? I'm planning to mount in the same spot.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@robert843 ...No, I did not see that...thank GOD! That thing added about an hour work to the install. I wonder why they did that?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843 ...No, I did not see that...thank GOD! That thing added about an hour work to the install. I wonder why they did that?
Glad its not there them I was dreading it. How long did it take to cut the hole and what did you use?

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
About three hours total. I used a Ryobi trim router with a straight cutting tool. I made a template first and pre-drilled all the holes. The cutting part only took about 1/2 hour. Having to deal with the back patch was more difficult especially trying to mount the mounting ring in the back.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About three hours total. I used a Ryobi trim router with a straight cutting tool. I made a template first and pre-drilled all the holes. The cutting part only took about 1/2 hour. Having to deal with the back patch was more difficult especially trying to mount the mounting ring in the back.
I will have to check mine if it has that patch would you recommend moving over some to avoid it?

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would for sure. I prematurely drilled the holes for the template before removing the carpet so it was too late for me to move the location. If i would have known that, I would have moved it over. My sub doesn't stick out that much to hinder placement of a cooler.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have that same fiberglass bump. Did you sand it down to get the backing plate to fit? I havent started my sub install yet, just finished up with wiring the amps.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cut it with a jig saw and peeled it away.

Emmett

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Finished the sub Install today. Damn was it hot, I knew I should got my ass going early. I noticed an the back side of the cooler storage area, there was fiberglass laid over almost like a repair job but I could see why. Is this normal and do other boats have this same thing? It created a little more work because the backing ring wouldn't sit flush. Now to tune it all. I tried but it's too difficult doing it yourself when the amp is in the helm. Back and forth in 90 degree temperatures is not good. I did get it to a point where the bass was thumping and sounded pretty good
Did you put silicone in between the mounting ring and the fiberglass? I'm still another week away from the installing my stereo.

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No silicone there but I did silicone around the cut fiberglass to parent splitting.