• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer installation

BrianD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey, I have a 2021 Yamaha AR190 and I’m wanting to install a sub in the boat to get some extra bass. Given I’m not very technical with how boat sound systems work, I was wondering how I can make this possible and what possible new hardware, cables and other things I need to set it up.

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's actually not too bad. I did mine myself. I used a Dremel with circle hole cutting attachment (can see it in the first photo). Make sure you have additional cutting bits because you will go through them.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Lpennington

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently added an amp and replaced the 4 stock speakers with Kickers in our 2018 AR195. I considered a sub but decided to wait n see. Definitely more sound from the speakers. Under the way, it's 75% of the way there IMO. I have concluded that it's not the sub I need by really I should've added a 5th and 6th speakers alongside the captain's chair and across on the port side. Unfortunately, the amp I had installed was a 4-channel so I'll have to see about the cost to add 2 more speakers.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My shop recommended putting a bandpass box with a 10" JL, so that's what I did. Hits hard and sounds nice, and no cutting into the fiberglass. They built it to fill the helm floor area on STBD side, and it's about 16" high. So it swallowed some storage, but I'm not super huge on using the space with all the cables and electronics for rapid in/out storage when wives and kids are involved.

That said, I've heard some of the free air subs installed (like the one above) and they do sound nice.

BrianD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently added an amp and replaced the 4 stock speakers with Kickers in our 2018 AR195. I considered a sub but decided to wait n see. Definitely more sound from the speakers. Under the way, it's 75% of the way there IMO. I have concluded that it's not the sub I need by really I should've added a 5th and 6th speakers alongside the captain's chair and across on the port side. Unfortunately, the amp I had installed was a 4-channel so I'll have to see about the cost to add 2 more speakers.
In order to install the amp, did that require replacing the original reciever that came with the boat? Or would I be able to connect the amp to the original reciever and save myself some hastle?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did a IB (infinite baffle) sub, like the one pictured above. Put it farther back, but essentially the same idea. Only substantial difference is I recommend a ring behind the fiberglass. Gives a more solid installation (which can be important when that thing starts shaking).

I also did my sub and amp before doing my other speakers. With the amp's high/low pass filters, I was able to better power the cheap a$$ stock speakers, but take that power-draining bass away from them. Worked pretty well. Then I did the other cabin ones later...

Can't speak to the HU replacement question... mine had a different one for my year.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If your amp is decent you can run two sets of speakers on one set of channels wired in parallels for 2ohms. That will send more power to those 4 speakers than the other two running at 4ohms on the other set of channels. You should be able to balance it out ok.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My shop recommended putting a bandpass box with a 10" JL, so that's what I did. Hits hard and sounds nice, and no cutting into the fiberglass. They built it to fill the helm floor area on STBD side, and it's about 16" high. So it swallowed some storage, but I'm not super huge on using the space with all the cables and electronics for rapid in/out storage when wives and kids are involved.

That said, I've heard some of the free air subs installed (like the one above) and they do sound nice.
Did it cause your storage door to rattle

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Did it cause your storage door to rattle
No, but it did cause my dashboard to rattle! There's a pretty large cavity underneath the top part of the dash board - I stuffed an old towel in there to prevent rattling when I'm not hustling cocaine in there from Cuba.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before you cut any holes, take the speaker cover and place it where you want the speaker to go. Some sides aren't perfectly flat and one boater had a gap between the speaker cover and the boat compartment he put the speaker in.

I think my sub is a 10 or 12 in. I have a JL 5 channel amp that has a volume input for just the bass. I have a volume knob on the dash just for the sub and I can easily adjust the sub while I'm sitting at the helm. Works really well.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking about adding another set of speakers by the captains chair and on the opposite side. I have a 5 channel amp thats powering 4 speakers and a sub. I think that my HU which puts out about 22W/ch should be able to power the additional 2 new speakers with the amp powering the other 4 and the sub. Anyone got any input if the HU will be enough for just 2 speakers without an additional amp? I'm not trying to blast a lot of sound so volume isn't an issue.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just added 2 bazooka marine tubes. One is powered and the other is powered off the first.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's actually not too bad. I did mine myself. I used a Dremel with circle hole cutting attachment (can see it in the first photo). Make sure you have additional cutting bits because you will go through them.

View attachment 202562
View attachment 202563

View attachment 202564

View attachment 202565

View attachment 202566

View attachment 202567
Did you use any starboard behind your sub install? And does it rattle anything like cup holders or sidewall?

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i added a backer behind mine. diff boat (ar240) and diff location (rear starboard seat side wall), but it seemed necessary.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 202562
View attachment 202563

View attachment 202564

View attachment 202565

View attachment 202566

View attachment 202567
i added a backer behind mine. diff boat (ar240) and diff location (rear starboard seat side wall), but it seemed necessary.
Thanks bro. I'll just have to cut in and make a decision but more is probably better than not