• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer - Is it worth it?

Is a subwoofer on a boat worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Currently in the process of upgrading the audio in the boat, and I'm kind of stuck on what route to go. The only reason I even want to upgrade the stereo, is because there is 0 sound in the mid-cabin. So I figured if I am going to install speakers there, might as well upgrade all 4 corners while I'm at it.

So far I have purchased (6) JL M3's. I can either get the M600/6 and be done with it, or for a few bucks more get the m800/8 and add a small sub (~200 watts). But I'm not sure if a sub on the boat is worthwhile? Does it make that much of a difference?

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a very subjective question and depnds on your needs. Some people hate subs, others love them. I'm in the middle and like subs for the home theater downstairs, but good towers for clean and accurate music upstairs. No subs in my truck for the same reason, the cabin is too small to need a sub and the speakers thump plenty loud as is. A boat is open air though, so a sub could be more useful, again depending on your needs.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In my opinion, its not only worth it, it's a necessity. Music of all types doesn't stop where your 6.5" coaxials do. A subwoofer is critical to accurately reproduce all types of music. Not saying you have to go overboard like some of us, but having the low end certainally fills out the sound.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have 2 10" subs currently, and will be hopefully adding a 3rd this year.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard it explained thusly:

The audio range that takes the most power to run is the bass. If you think about it, that is where you are moving the cone the greatest distance to make the sound wave. Or you are moving a larger cone a shorter distance (which is why subs are bigger in diameter...). Either way, more effort (power) is required for bass. Treble is the opposite. A little power goes a long way there. So with those little tweeters, just touching them has a big, piercing sound.

When you add a sub, you are not as much adding thump. Well, you may be, but that is not the important effect on the system. The most important effect is that you are offloading that high-power load and rerouting that to the sub (usually through an amp). That means that your head unit or other amp is freed up. Rather than the whole thing running at 90%, you get the sub running at 50% and the rest of the speakers running at 50%. And as anyone who has ever turned up a stereo too loud knows, when you are in mid range, things can be pretty clear, but if you turn it up too much, things get muddled. By moving all the speakers down into the power supplies' middle range, you improve the responsiveness, clarity, and clipping. And, of course, you get more top end (on that occasion you do want something louder).

So, I think I added my sub seconds after I added my amp... and it is on a separate, bridged channel of the amp. Could not be happier.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I agree with everyone here. I suffered from no sound in the mid-cabin. I added 2 10" subs with amps and 6" speakers on port and starboard side walls. WOW! What a difference. Thrilled with the sound. I went with WetSounds; great stuff.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a single 10" JL that sounds great. Definitely adds to the overall richness and quality of the sound. You'll be missing ⅓ of the spectrum without it. Bite the bullet now and enjoy it, otherwise you'll be spending the money to upgrade next season anyway... right?

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a similar setup on my 2019 AR195 to what you are looking to do.
I'm running 6 of the JL M6 6.5s and a JL 10tw3-d4 in a replica JL powerwedge box powered by an M800/8. I have 2 Wetsounds Icon8s on the tower powered by a wetsounds Micro4. I finally feel like it's got even sound and good punch in the mid range and lows even in the mid section of the boat. Tuning out the lows from the 6.5s via the crossover works wonders for clarity at higher volumes well.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes a SUB or two is a must. My old '98 270 exciter 4 8" rockfords coax. and 2 RF 12"s

Attachments

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My vote is for installing the all important sub-woofer or the “.1” in some system descriptions. It’s Ironic that this is often the most expensive part of the the system, next to/under the amp of coarse. Bass is expensive, good base is more expensive, great bass is usually out of my price range.

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! I went ahead and got the 8 channel amp...

I was kind of already leaning this way, just wasn't sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze. I have subwoofers in a couple of the rooms within our house, and definitely agree with @Ronnie 's comment about good bass being expensive. As with anything boat related, it is inherently expensive :) , so trying to get good bass on a boat seemed like an (expensive) headache. Ultimately, I agree with the collective voice here - I'll want something to round out the sound. Thanks again for the nudge in the right direction!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2 10" subs currently, and will be hopefully adding a 3rd this year.
Your boat will propel itself with just the vibration from the tunes being cranked. 😃

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That's the plan.

Top Bottom