• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer location in 212 models or similar 2012-2014??

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Anyone have interesting pics of their subwoofers in location on a 212 212X or similar size 2012-2014?

I have a 10" and thought about putting it on the inside front below the anchor hatch? I know its a step but you would think that would sound awesome throughout the boat......any comments yea to nay?? Other spots or recommendations.

Let me seeeeee!!

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen them in the starboard side kick panel......basically below and forward of the throttles (by the drivers right foot). That seems like the most common place I've seen for infinate baffle applications.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mine is in the storage area right behind the helm seat access it from under the guest seat and it sounds great. Sorry I didnt get a pic of it last summer

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I could not have said it better. Thank you my good friend
Is this where yours is? on the port side tho?? It is a good place and was one of my choices.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
did you guys jigsaw the hole yourself? I got a sawzall to fit the job.....lol

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe a small router or a dremel would be the better tool.
But I've seen it done with a jig saw as well.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Anyone have interesting pics of their subwoofers in location on a 212 212X or similar size 2012-2014?

I have a 10" and thought about putting it on the inside front below the anchor hatch? I know its a step but you would think that would sound awesome throughout the boat......any comments yea to nay?? Other spots or recommendations.

Let me seeeeee!!
Is the anchor hatch at the front bow? If so, avoid that location. Based on open air acoustics....I like as low of a position as possible and in between two reinforcing planes. It would absolutely rock your world in the bow. But in an open boat the bass energy tends to flash dissipate because the radiation expands in a 360 degree sphere. Unlike an enclosed vehicle where six sides are folded around the sub radiation. So distance is a killer and any obstruction or division, like the port and starboard helm consoles, are a killer. Keep the sub within the cockpit area.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
although mine is a 2008, my sub is in the same location.. I used a dremel with a circle tool to cut mine out.. wore out 2 bits.. fiberglass is about 1/4" thick..

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I throw one more question into the mix, did anyone reinforce the back of the sub? Or just into the fiberglass and that's fine? Two installers are giving me very different stories as to the need or not to reinforce.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
mine is straight through the fiberglass, rock solid.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Sometimes these things are circumstantial. One technique may not apply equally to every system and boat.
But in general, I really believe in using a reinforcement ring or panel behind an IB subwoofer mounted in most fiberglass walls for two reasons.
First. You can remove the rub rail of many boats and reveal where the deck cap mold is mated to hull mold. While glued together, some boats also use S.S. screws into fiberglass as an extra measure. Those screws always loosen. And that has been my experience with subwoofer mounting hardware screwed into fiberglass....screws into fiberglass is less than ideal....much different from coaxial speakers for example. Subs behave like a jackhammer for a living. A 3/4-inch reinforcement behind gives me something more permanent to seat those screws into. Of course, you also have the alternate option of bolts and nylocks.
Second. An IB subwoofer deserves just as rigid of a baffle as a sealed box woofer. Any minute flex wastes precious energy that was costly in charging system supply, amplifier power, and woofer excursion, all limited resources. If the fiberglass wall is 1/2-inch thick and a relatively small surface area then I'm not concerned. I might leave it as it is. If I can sit across from the woofer mounting wall with my back against the opposite wall, place my feet on the woofer wall, extend my legs and feel ANY degree of give, then I will definitely reinforce that surface.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My problem with putting a reinforcement ring was finding one that was marine worthy.. MDF is very susceptible to water.... something commonly found on boats..

With that said if mine loosens up I will bolt it through with bolts & nylocks..

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My problem with putting a reinforcement ring was finding one that was marine worthy.. MDF is very susceptible to water.... something commonly found on boats..

With that said if mine loosens up I will bolt it through with bolts & nylocks..
Earmark Marine offers a "3/4-inch thick resin-coated birch baffle ring" - I believe it is tailor made for this application. Current price is $45.
http://store.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=16734&cat=297&page=1

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
SUBWOOFER BAFFLE RINGS:

You can purchase this SAME TYPE ring on eBAY from a quality supplier for $18.00 DELIVERED on eBAY and then simply cover it with a coat of fiberglass resin. This ring is made from mdf, but once coated with epoxy resin, there will be no effective difference.

Here is the link for the ring: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-FIBERGLASS-SPEAKER-RING-SUBWOOFER-RINGS-3-4-MDF-DIY-FIBERGLASS-BOX-RING-/251702148455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9a9dfd67

When the ring arrives in the mail, use a quality jig saw and cut out the remaining small "tabs" leaving only the large outer ring. The seller ships this way to insure a quality delivery, as it's stronger this way, with the center being held in place.

After cutting out the center, simply coat the ring with EPOXY RESIN available from any hardware store, or Home Depot or Lowes. Do not use polyester boat resin as it won't be absorbed by the MDF board material. Give yourself at least a week for this stuff to "cure" (ie, dry) - 2 weeks is better. If when you go to install the ring, it is "sticky" do not worry, it will dry.

In putting on the epoxy resin, neatness DOES NOT COUNT ! Simply make sure you cover ALL exposed areas, both front side if the ring and back. You don't want to allow for any moisture absorption. Use a CHEAP brush. This stuff does not "clean." Just put this stuff (epoxy resin) the best you can.

I would not even consider installing a 10" subwoofer unless I used this reinforcing ring in front of the subwoofer, inside the seat housing.

There ya have it ........... An EASY alternative, available to you for less than $ 30 (Total cost) !!!!!!!!!!

If you're curious, my last ring and subwoofer went with our 2013. This is going into our 2015. If I can help anyone more, please just PM me.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA SPKR RING - sm.jpg

Last edited: