• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer Location

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked at a bunch of the old postings, but did not see any on storing a subwoofer in the storage locker in front of the helm. I have a 10” enclosed subwoofer that I was planning to put in this locker, but was wondering if you guys had any feedback on whether this was a good idea.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it depends on your porting plan. Bass is omnidirectional, but that doesn't mean it goes through walls very well. You would need a grill or something in the door, next to it, or on the kickplate below the helm. I wouldn't do below the helm (I would wind up kicking it in). And the door is doubled over, which may cause complexity...

So, not impossible by any means, but it would depend (IMHO) on how you were going to port it.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are going to have a speaker cover over the sub, check that the cover mounts flush before you cut the hole. Someone else here had to do some extra finishing to fill in the gap between the cover and the side where the sub was mounted.

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not planning to cut the subwoofer into the fiberglass. The subwoofer is in an enclosure and the enclosure has legs which allows it to be placed on the floor in the locker. The subwoofer itself would be directed toward the floor if I end up doing it this way. I was just wondering about vibrations in the locker and the folding door. The good thing is that I can try it before securing it, but just wanted to get any initial thoughts as I wait for my purchase to arrive in the mail.

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made a custom ported box and put a Rockford 12" sub in there last season. You will have vibrations( my whole helm rattled when it was hitting hard) and it will be a bit muffled, but it is doable. I have since moved it back under the starboard side bench seat with a 10" vent cut where my initial IB sub was. Much louder. Still fighting some rattles!

JTC1016

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have my 10" enclosed sub in that location. It is fine for me. I think it sounds great. Sometimes if we are anchored I open the door but I haven't really found that to be necessary.

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I was a little worried about the vibrations. My wife is not a huge bass person, so I am in the dog house even before the thing is installed. So I don’t have much to lose:).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would be concerned about subjecting all of the electronics in the helm to constant vibrations caused by the sub woofer, especially if I had a boat with a connext system. I know it is all solid state marine grade but even if the electronics are not damaged bass vibrations have a way of loosening things, like mounting nuts and bolts up.

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I made a custom ported box and put a Rockford 12" sub in there last season. You will have vibrations( my whole helm rattled when it was hitting hard) and it will be a bit muffled, but it is doable. I have since moved it back under the starboard side bench seat with a 10" vent cut where my initial IB sub was. Much louder. Still fighting some rattles!
Can you share how you vented the sub? I have a 10 inch skar sub in a box in starboard seat also. It sounds good with the seat down but great with the seat up a few inches. I was thinking of a vent but not sure how big it needs to be.

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yea. Same as opening the storage vs closed.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put it in the rear starboard and cut a speaker vent.
I tried a couple locations with this same sub. Helm rattled too much and acoustically it sounded better in the rear storage so that's where it stayed. I did not cut a port hole for it though. I have not found the need yet and I could still add 100-150w of power to boost it if needed. Even propping the seat an inch only made a slight difference.

Attachments

Milligsc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I put it in the rear starboard and cut a speaker vent.
Can you tell me where you bought the grille? I like that style.