• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer (Rookie here)

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Expect MAYBE half of what its claiming power wise. Go for Kicker, Rockford, JL if you want to get actual power the amp is rated for out of it.
I believe this amp is legit, I saw a youtube vid of it doing over 2700w on a certified dyno run @1ohm.

isitsummeryet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got a Kicker 1200 Mono amp for $500.00. People had similar mixed feedback for Orions. Does anyone know how to control fiberglass flex due to the pressure waves created by a big sub? The guy I spoke to at car toys said this sub would destroy your boat because of the crazy fiberglass flexing it will produce. Is the ported box suppose to help with that?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Expect MAYBE half of what its claiming power wise. Go for Kicker, Rockford, JL if you want to get actual power the amp is rated for out of it.
Not so sure about that. That amp actually raised some interest from me for a car application so I did some research. Steve Meade designs has put that amp on an amp Dyno and it actually performed above RMS power that it was rated for. Orion amps back in the day were awesome. I know that some things have changed over the years but it seems to be a pretty solid unit.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got a Kicker 1200 Mono amp for $500.00. People had similar mixed feedback for Orions. Does anyone know how to control fiberglass flex due to the pressure waves created by a big sub? The guy I spoke to at car toys said this sub would destroy your boat because of the crazy fiberglass flexing it will produce. Is the ported box suppose to help with that?
A ported box is basically a tuned enclosure. Depending on the port size and length in the volume of the box, will determine what frequency it is tuned for. You will get more volume out of a ported enclosure at certain frequencies, but once you go below the tune to frequency the output will fall off twice as fast as a sealed enclosure. Sealed enclosures are usually smaller but not as loud it's specially around the frequency that a ported box is tuned for. I run a Wetsounds XXXV2 off of a 1200w Wetsounds SD2 and it shakes everything including the outside of the hull...... But I haven't seen any negative structural effects