• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer(s)

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@DCB-270 's system kicks ass! It reminds me of being in my friends car in high school with 2 12's in the back of his Honda CRX and being so load it shattered his back window. He was running Orion subs and amps too.

I have a 10" Polk sub in a ported box under one of my rear benchs with it vented to the outside. I think it sounds good and shakes the boat just fine. When we're anchored out I sometimes remove the seat cushion allow the sound to radiate a little more.
I still have a crx.. drive it once a year to a car meet in Niagara falls.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok guys I need some help on sub placement especially @David Analog

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My sub's are DB. Thinking of upgrading to DD.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
DD? As in Digital Designs?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow nice! Where are you able to put those on a 212? DD's need some decent size boxes.

I'm trying to figure out if I can get a ported box for a single FU Audio 12 under the rear seat behind the helm of my 240.. and still fit my gas grill in there :)

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
There is a pic on the first page. I need to figure which DD i need.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well let me say this.. If your thinking about redline subs, ditch that idea and go with DD's sister brand SoundQubed. Similar product and WAY less expensive. HDC3.1's would decimate on the water.

If your thinking other lines, the 3500's would be the way to go. You'll never find enough power on the boat to fully run 9500's or 9900's, and forget about Z-line. 1500's and 2500's aren't worth it. Good subs but overpriced.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow thanks for the advice. My DBs sound good but are cheaper. I am wondering if the DDs would be better.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots of good subwoofers out there that will smack your DB drives. Where your placing them you have a ton of options since you don't have to worry about IB or Marine certified stuff.

Digital Designs stuff is top level, so they would be better (depending on the series of course). If you want other brand recommendations let me know what your power level is and I can let you know what will work.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bigblank69 is this a business of yours or hobby? I've got a stereo and electronics guy that I used on our cruiser that we lost in July. He does good work and is reasonably priced. The next cruiser we get I'm planning to do what I did before most likely and then some. My issue is its the same as everyone else's stuff because the same guy does it all. He tends to stick with JL and Wetsounds stuff but will buy and install anything I want. I had all JL stuff that I had installed in May and it burned up in July. I had 2 pairs of 6.5's, a pair of 7.7's, and a 12" IB sub. Then 2 JL amps to power it all. It sounded good! Was really nice to look at too. We're getting a different type of boat this go around so the sound staging will be different. For components I'm fine with Polks or JL'S unless there's something else that you run with. I don't see a reason to get Wetsounds for that application. For subs I prefer some sort of an enclosure vs. IB. Power isn't an issue since we run a generator when we're out of the dock. Once we have the boat I'll know the space that I'm working with but I'm thinking at least 2 subs right now. What I'm saying is basically I'm looking for something different to standout a little in the crowd.

Where are you located?

Feel free to PM me if you wish.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bigblank69 is this a business of yours or hobby? I've got a stereo and electronics guy that I used on our cruiser that we lost in July. He does good work and is reasonably priced. The next cruiser we get I'm planning to do what I did before most likely and then some. My issue is its the same as everyone else's stuff because the same guy does it all. He tends to stick with JL and Wetsounds stuff but will buy and install anything I want. I had all JL stuff that I had installed in May and it burned up in July. I had 2 pairs of 6.5's, a pair of 7.7's, and a 12" IB sub. Then 2 JL amps to power it all. It sounded good! Was really nice to look at too. We're getting a different type of boat this go around so the sound staging will be different. For components I'm fine with Polks or JL'S unless there's something else that you run with. I don't see a reason to get Wetsounds for that application. For subs I prefer some sort of an enclosure vs. IB. Power isn't an issue since we run a generator when we're out of the dock. Once we have the boat I'll know the space that I'm working with but I'm thinking at least 2 subs right now. What I'm saying is basically I'm looking for something different to standout a little in the crowd.

Where are you located?

Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Audio systems are not my profession, but it is my obsession and way more to me (and my wallet) than a hobby. Who else has a home office with a full 12v audio system on tap just for kicks☺. I can understand why your installer sticks to JL and Wet Sounds, they are two brands that have really focused on marine audio and have good reliability and mainstream enough that its an easy sell to clients and customers.

If your speakers are going to be exposed to the elements, I wouldn't venture very far outside of the Polk MM, JL M series or Wet Sounds Revo lines. If they are inside your cruiser the options are limitless since you can incorporate car audio gear. For amps, I think Polk are great amps, and easy on the budget, in my opinion Digital Designs amps that are marine certified toast JL amps. If the environment is in an area not exposed to salt and heavy moisture the amp selections again become limitless.

For Subwoofers if the sub is enclosed all you need is a poly cone and a rubber surround and your essentially waterproof. So tons of options again, it just depends on how nuts you want to get :). I'm working with a sub builder on getting a full custom subwoofer made for me to the specs I want. In addition I can put my own logo, or match my boats name on it etc.. its going to be NASTY lol.

I'm more then happy to help you out if you want to switch to PMs. I'm located in IL.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't see how you guys have the balls to run high-powered subs in these things.... let alone how to do it correctly. A 9500 requires serious juice and a ported enclosure. Even if you stocked all your storage with batteries - you still need a better alternator to charge them. Keeping it under the seat basically makes a sealed bandpass. Even if executed correctly - that thing would crack fiberglass all over the boat.

Bigblank who is building your subs? I had PSi build a custom set nearly 10 years ago. I cringe when I think about how much money I wasted on car audio. The system going in the boat will be simple and effective. I've learned over the years (and too much money) that is not about power or size of a speaker, but about install and execution. Get the right plan and you can have a louder and better sounding system than most people at half the cost and 1/4 the power.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you guys need to share you knowledge to us guy that only know how to buy it, and know how to make holes. Placement, equipment, and amp tuning is NOT my game. Soooo help me out will ya?

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't see how you guys have the balls to run high-powered subs in these things.... let alone how to do it correctly. A 9500 requires serious juice and a ported enclosure. Even if you stocked all your storage with batteries - you still need a better alternator to charge them. Keeping it under the seat basically makes a sealed bandpass. Even if executed correctly - that thing would crack fiberglass all over the boat.

Bigblank who is building your subs? I had PSi build a custom set nearly 10 years ago. I cringe when I think about how much money I wasted on car audio. The system going in the boat will be simple and effective. I've learned over the years (and too much money) that is not about power or size of a speaker, but about install and execution. Get the right plan and you can have a louder and better sounding system than most people at half the cost and 1/4 the power.
PSi is the one building my sub. I'm going to do a custom 10" IB, 600-800W Rms, with 20mm of xmax. Should be much better than any other IB sub out there. And yes your right, the install and execution are much more important than the equipment... as long as you didnt buy junk.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you guys need to share you knowledge to us guy that only know how to buy it, and know how to make holes. Placement, equipment, and amp tuning is NOT my game. Soooo help me out will ya?
I'm with you @Jebinok ! I'm good at buying stuff and having someone put it in and tune it. I had a system put in our cruiser in May and then lost it, along with everything else, in July to the fire. We didn't get to enjoy it for very long. I don't even remember if you saw it or not. I'm looking at what my options are for our next cruiser in the sound department. So I'm watching this thread closely.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Just not a fan of paper subwoofers in a boat. Not treated paper. Not paper with an exterior plastic cap. Parameters change with the humidity swings and boating is high humidity, and much worse under a cover. Also, eventually the pulp cone and junctions will weaken.
I have yet to hear of any coherent explanation for what advantage a paper cone woofer holds.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you can keep the subwoofers dry, you should be ok with paper. But it depends on where your boating as well, if your in Florida or on the Ocean I wouldn't run anything that's not marine certified, and speakers and subwoofers would need full poly cones, abs frames and fully sealed VC's.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
20140408_103705.jpg
But this a couple of years ago. Behind it sits a Wetsounds XXXV2 12" sub in a ported enclosure. Powered by a Wetsounds SD2.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm with you @Jebinok ! I'm good at buying stuff and having someone put it in and tune it. I had a system put in our cruiser in May and then lost it, along with everything else, in July to the fire. We didn't get to enjoy it for very long. I don't even remember if you saw it or not. I'm looking at what my options are for our next cruiser in the sound department. So I'm watching this thread closely.
no @PEARCE I don't think I got to hear it. I guess we are going have to start a new thread to get some of the knowers to help us unknowns