• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked in Tow Line

Boomer165

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good evening all
I am new to the forum but have been reading since I bought my first Jet boat this spring, a Scarab 165G.
First jet boat as I have always been an outboard guy. My question is what possible damage could I have caused by sucking in a tow rope. It stalled the engine. Got back to shore and managed to cut most of it out and restart the engine, but I had no forward or rearward thrust and could not move at all. I am assuming some rope is still stuck and probably damaged the impeller and wear ring. I was a little (Ok, a lot,) embarrassed as this was the first tubing run and have never had this happen in 30 years of owning outboards. The water is still a little cold up here to try to get further under. Taking it to the dealer next weekend for repairs.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good evening all
I am new to the forum but have been reading since I bought my first Jet boat this spring, a Scarab 165G.
First jet boat as I have always been an outboard guy. My question is what possible damage could I have caused by sucking in a tow rope. It stalled the engine. Got back to shore and managed to cut most of it out and restart the engine, but I had no forward or rearward thrust and could not move at all. I am assuming some rope is still stuck and probably damaged the impeller and wear ring. I was a little (Ok, a lot,) embarrassed as this was the first tubing run and have never had this happen in 30 years of owning outboards. The water is still a little cold up here to try to get further under. Taking it to the dealer next weekend for repairs.
I couldn't tell, sorry, but I would think the biggest worry would be the carbon seal - which seals the shaft coming through the transom/hull. That thing if damaged can let water into the hull. But that carbon seal - if damaged - would not cause any loss of thrust, so I'm not sure what's going on.
If other members including @Ron@Scarab or @JetTech72 or @ScarabMike can chime in they will be able to tell for sure.

--

Boomer165

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks swatski, I think the carbon seal is Ok, It sat the dock for 2 days and there is no water at all in the engine compartment. Hope that is still the case as I am 150 miles away at the moment. I am getting it towed next weekend to take to the dealer, just waiting on the Hose Pincher tool to arrive so I can safely tow it.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The wearing & impeller rubber cap are the one taking the brunt in the adventure.
Normally the impeller itself shouldn't be damaged from sucking a rope & same goes for the carbon seal as it's protected by the shaft cover.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You need to really get in there and take a look. If it was a nylon rope it may have melted up against the impeller. If there's compression on the drive shaft the system will turn the boat off, and if there is a chunk of melted nylon in front of the impeller it won't work very well. My first time I had to get under and chisel away a hardened piece of nylon that I fused in there.

Boomer165

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies Robert and JetTech72. That makes me feel a little better, I will be hauling it out this weekend and have a closer look.
After spending a lot of time reading posts on this forum, I realize that I am not the only one who has done this before so I feel a little less embarrassed.
This is a fantastic forum with a ton of valuable insight. Thanks

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hahaha, I've done it more than once. Tow ropes, rocks, wakeboard rope, fishing net, fishing line that are left drifting. Enough that I have a whole kit for this.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Defiantly not the only one. Good luck

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Good evening all

You say " Cut Most of it out" so if its still wrapped around the shaft it will not allow that shaft to move at all. Issues with carbon seal I don't see that you really have to suck up a lot of rope to bind and effect the seal.

Have all the crew as spotters and when they see the rope getting close to intake grate or go under the water line turn the engine off. Approach your rider or rope on the right (driver side) all the time you create a big loop in the water with the line and can visually see the rope come around, plus safety for the tubers.

I sucked a rope into my jet ski and it sounds like same issues. Got to shore removed the grate and used a utility knife to remove the rope. Back on the water in no time.

Last week I had a small piece of drift wood wedged in the impeller that cavitated the one engine, we also had to get it to shore to really get in there to see it and remove it.

Boomer165

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You say " Cut Most of it out" so if its still wrapped around the shaft it will not allow that shaft to move at all. Issues with carbon seal I don't see that you really have to suck up a lot of rope to bind and effect the seal.

Have all the crew as spotters and when they see the rope getting close to intake grate or go under the water line turn the engine off. Approach your rider or rope on the right (driver side) all the time you create a big loop in the water with the line and can visually see the rope come around, plus safety for the tubers.

I sucked a rope into my jet ski and it sounds like same issues. Got to shore removed the grate and used a utility knife to remove the rope. Back on the water in no time.

Last week I had a small piece of drift wood wedged in the impeller that cavitated the one engine, we also had to get it to shore to really get in there to see it and remove it.
Thanks Boat-R-Us, appreciate the feedback. I am hauling it out tomorrow to get a closer look, need to tow it so I bought myself a set of automotive locking hose pliers to pinch the line to prevent any water getting into the exhaust (at least according to the Scarab manual).

Boomer165

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi Robert, I own the 150Hp non-catalyst version. I did see this service bulletin in this forum, it was very helpful, but still towed it under 5mph just to be safe.
Saw the rest of the rope thru the jet opening, still did not have the proper tools to reach, but I took it to the dealers just to check for any potential wear ring and impeller damage. Am creating a tool kit for on-board like others have on this forum. Thanks all.

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just an FYI, if you have a 250hp with catalyst you have to pinch two lines.

Good find..... The one picture I had was in black in white and hard to see.. I can easily trace these lines now. Thanks

Wear ring damage: I would say if you see day light in the impellers and wear ring you have an issue. Deep gouges also a concern.

I've got some scrapes in there, but not severe enough to cause cavitation.... You can use your diagnostic mode while running to see your GPM of water being pushed out and see how even they are compared to each engine if your concerned bout loss of thrust issues.

paul79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Well, it finally happened, I sucked up the dock rope that was accidentally left in the water behind the boat. I was able to remove the rope by cutting it out, but in doing so, a piece of rubber came out which was between the shafts, where the rope got tangled into.

Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?
My friend seems to think this is on a tiny piece of a much larger rubber gasket (that is designed to prevent things like ropes from getting inside the shafts).

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
That looks like a piece of the impeller boot. Inexpensive to replace if that's the only damage. Not replacing it will most likely cause cavitation/loss of power. I would definitely replace it for the cost.. you can do this yourself. But you could be lucky and the boat may not have any significant cavitation. But regardless, I would replace it.

paul79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thank you very much Luc!
That makes me feel a bit better, and I agree with it, I will replace it.
Would you happen to know the replacement procedure? I'm not sure how to get at the impeller boat to change it out.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yes, quite simple actually. This is the best video that shows how to get to it. It really doesn't take long, but take your time the first time. You do need a few simple tools. Watch the video. Once the pump is off, you can easily unscrew the boot. Note that it is reverse threaded. So CLOCKWISE to remove.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The impeller boot can get dislodged and shoved back into the shaft sleeve, causing binding, shaking and loss of power. As mentioned above, relatively easy fix. If it's your first time and you are cautious, you should be able to get it done in less than 45 minutes.
Also, the 4 main nuts holding the pump on are threaded on pretty far, and it helps to have a deep socket to undo them.

paul79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
You're both a wealth of information! Thank you very much, it's greatly appreciated!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
lol, you learn a thing or two after owning and maintaining these boats for a few years. This forum has been invaluable to me as well. That's why I like to pay it forward here where I can.