• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up every weed in Lake Erie

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I pulled my boat out for its 10 hour maintenance. I cleaned the hull with Starbright hull cleaner. (It’s magic). I started by scrubbing it … got frustrated. Tried a magic eraser. Checked jetboaters.net for opinions …. Decided not to use them… searched forums… read about Starbright … went to the store and fell in love with my boat again??. Anyway… back to my subject. my dealership told me my starboard engine went straight into overheat. They said I sucked up weeds and need to pull apart the cooling system. The weeds may be jamming my thermostat. 5-6 hours of maintenance and they can’t get to it for a couple weeks. Anyone else been here?

Love Starbrite Hull Cleaner! The screen at the intake should have stopped all but the smallest pieces of milfoil. Checking the thermostat in not hard, but I understand you do not want to void the warranty. I have had two incidents of overheat warnings after wrapping milfoil around the impellor shaft. Cleared it out, checked the screen and went on my way with no more issues.

Edit: It seems a bit odd to me that they would tell you enough made it in there to plug the thermostat. How were the pissers working? The outlet for the thermostat, once open, is on the transom. Does it run and overheat while on the hose?

Last edited:
That’s good info. Thanks. I’m going to learn a lot more about it shortly.

Pissers worked fine last I looked. I check them often.

Agreed, ive had weeds plug the intake enough to overheat once. I just cleared them and it took a few engine start/stop cycles for the overheat warning to clear. I made sure both cooling outlets we're working and kept an eye on them.
I would be surprised if plants get past the screen weight to clog anything.

Eh I’d pull the housing covers on the pumps for the cooling screens and make sure they aren’t clogged.

They have me as it was in for its 10 hour service. But once I get it back I’ll learn more about what to look for. I don’t even know where these screens are. I’ll have to crawl underneath I assume.

Sounds like BS. Go get your boat back before they mess it up.

I have been a little suspect …. But I just don’t know. I’ll see if I can find a cooling system diagram so I understand better.

And does that begin the water intake for the cooling system than ? Thank you for sending that.

And does that begin the water intake for the cooling system than ? Thank you for sending that.

Yes, and it connects to part #24 in the exhaust 2 section of the parts breakdown. Bottom of diagram. Part #21 is the flush port.

Screenshot_20210626-170538_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
What dealer?

Follow up. (And a possible forum debate). It turns out the reason my Starboard engine was overheating was because there is a defective valve in my clean out (where we put the hose to run the engine when out of water). This explains why I didn’t get an error code when on the water but my dealer did when they serviced the engine. 12.5 hours First service. A new part has been ordered and will be replaced under warranty. In a month when parts can be had. But the boat will be fine in water.

THE DEBATE. My friend (and long time member on this forum) suggested I get the dealer to install the ball valves that prevent engine flooding when being towed above no wake. I thought …. Sure what’s another hour or 2 of shop time… save me the hassle.

my service manager told me you don’t need to clamp the hose to tow. He said that is an issue for Seadoos. he suggested that the pressure generated by the impeller is far greater than being towed.

I bought clamps but I’m not sure I could get them on anyway.

does anyone have some expertise to offer? ( beyond the “ why take the chance” argument). ?

just curious.

Sounds like BS. Go get your boat back before they mess it up.

I would agree.

1) Are they covering the work? Because if it's user error that caused a tear-down, then that's an insurance claim, and they will want you to pay for it. BUT:
2) IF they're covering it the work, ask why? Did they find that the screen was missing from the pump? Why would user error be covered under warranty?
3) Ask "how does it run when it's hooked up to the flush kit (hose), does it still overheat?"
4) Did they cycle the power to clear the error?

There's many, MANY, cases of guys sucking up weeds and getting an overheat alarm. It's one of the reasons we have clean-out plugs. But in order to cause an alarm you would've noticed an issue with the running of the boat, nearly immediately. Your statement to the dealership would have been "We sucked up some weeds, cleared them out, then got an over heat." and they should have advised you to "turn the power switch on/off a few times to clear the error."

Something doesn't smell right here.

EDIT: glad you got it taken care of.

Follow-up to your debate. Tell your dealer that they should read what the f'ing Yamaha Manual says about towing.

The dealer is not going to modify your new boat by adding the tow valves. It may/will void the warranty and is not a Yamaha engineered option. My boat survived a tow in 2016 at about 5 mph with no water ingress. Others have reported higher tow speeds with similar results. As long as the tow is slow it will be ok .

Last edited:
1) Follow up. (And a possible forum debate). It turns out the reason my Starboard engine was overheating was because there is a defective valve in my clean out

2) my service manager told me you don’t need to clamp the hose to tow. He said that is an issue for Seadoos. he suggested that the pressure generated by the impeller is far greater than being towed.

On #1 you are saying it overheats on the hose but not on the water? The only "valve" is the one right at the flushport that gets pushed in by the hose adapter dohicky to prevent backflow when the engine is running and in the water. Does water come out of your pissers and from the transom when on the hose?

#2 makes no sense, of course the pressure generated by the impeller is greater than when being towed, but the difference is that the engines are running so no water can backflow into the engine. Makes me question why he said its an issue for SeaDoo's. Not sure about the Rotax powered boats, but on the SeaDoo skis the engine cooling is closed loop. Only the exhaust cooling is fed from lake/ocean water.

Back