• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up rocks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It only took beaching my boat one time to mess up the impeller enough that it needed to be replaced, and what should have been a 20 to 40 minute job last 4 1/2 hours. I broke my vice and had to anchor a heavy duty vice to the concrete and still couldn’t get that sucker off. I finally had my buddy press it out of the housing and split it in half with a grinder. I was able to salvage the drive shaft, and get it all pressed back together, tonight I will be putting it back together. From this point on though I will always have an impeller and drive shaft on hand just in case.
Lots of anti-seize can help, too.

Not sure about penetrating lubricants, never heard of this until now, actually... it could not hurt, of course!
BUT - when you "break" a stuck up impeller there is always that characteristic "ping" noise - which would indicate there is no penetration.

With anti-seize it does get better next time, I found.

--

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys for all your input. My favorite penetrating lubricant is mixing ATF (automatic tranny fluid) and Acetone 50/50. Aren't the impellers reverse threaded onto the shaft?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks guys for all your input. My favorite penetrating lubricant is mixing ATF (automatic tranny fluid) and Acetone 50/50. Aren't the impellers reverse threaded onto the shaft?
Yes.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The marina is so bad. They just 'looked' again and said "we don't see anything". The boat literally felt like it was going to blow up when I dropped it off. I'll pick it up on Friday and check it out. They never pulled the pumps or anything.

I also noticed it made really bad noises when turning. Is that normal when theres something stuck in there?

Last edited:

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cool, thanks for your input. Yes I have a trailer but the hitch for my SUV is backordered. I wanted to do it myself but I just didn't have time or the vehicle.

If you suck up rocks, what is a serious problem? It's really never much more serious than replacing impellers is it?
Where you at on hartwell I can possibly make a day trip and bring up truck to get it in trailer for you I'm about hour away

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kinglenario, I have used Park Marine for a job I couldn't do alone. They were very helpful and they sell Yamahas. They are in Kennesaw. That's not to far from you.
Papa
Park marine also has a location on lake Lanier even closer then kennesaw for him.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where you at on hartwell I can possibly make a day trip and bring up truck to get it in trailer for you I'm about hour away
That's super nice of you but I'll probably just rent a truck. I'm right by Hartwell Marina ahem.

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Park marine also has a location on lake Lanier even closer then kennesaw for him.
Yeah, that's who I bought the boat from. There's another place called Water Crafters in Anderson that's only about 30 minutes away. Very experienced Jet Ski and Jet Boat people. I'd probably take it over there just because it's closer.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stick your phone in through the intake grates and take pictures of the front of the impellers. Those will let us see if the impellers are damaged.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's super nice of you but I'll probably just rent a truck. I'm right by Hartwell Marina ahem.
That's the marina off exit 177? Its 40miles I can make a run up tomorrow afternoon just let me know

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's the marina off exit 177? Its 40miles I can make a run up tomorrow afternoon just let me know
Well it's at the marina right now and I'm in Atlanta until Thursday. Address is 149 Hartwell Marina Rd. Hartwell, GA

kinglenario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Update: I finally took my boat to an awesome shop in Anderson SC called Watercrafters. These guys are excellent. I needed new impellers and liners. Boat is actually smoother, quieter and faster than new (it was a demo so there was probably a little damage to begin).

I can definitely say to never bring a jet boat to hartwell marina. Or any boat for that matter. They even killed my batteries.

Thanks for everyone’s input here!