• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up rocks

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hopefully that is the end of that and no further damage was done!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the grate off and dis - lodged the rock! Hope it didn't cause too much damage.
Stick your camera phone up there and snap a few shots, might be able to help you see the damage.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I ran my boat in the St Johns on Monday. I sucked up some big lily pads. Had to do some 360s a drift...whatever was up in there finally past. ..took a bit in order to get good water flow through the thing.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Curious to how this thread turned out...any further issues?
Any part pics OF damage

Big E

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
14598208588221794552725.jpg I just had my impeller boot replaced from running over a docking line. Dealer cost was $166.00 out the door.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
View attachment 35261 I just had my impeller boot replaced from running over a docking line. Dealer cost was $166.00 out the door.
I sucked up a big tubing rope once and spent an hour under the boat fishing it out. I got lucky, I didn't see any damage to the boot and the boat worked great for the rest of the year until we put it away. Out of curiosity, how fast was this damage caused and what material was the rope made from?

I'm asking because when I had sucked my rope up we didn't know what happened, we had sucked the middle portion up and it still looked like there was a ton of rope left out there behind the boat. I tried hard for a while to get the boat going (being new to jet boats) I didn't realize what was happening when the engine kept turning itself off. I guess the friction on the impeller and drive shaft from the rope causes it to shut off to avoid damage? When I fished the rope out the portion of the rope that was snug up against the boot was melted, but no visible damage to the boat. At the time my tow rope was 1" diameter Airhead braided nylon, which I feel helped it get mostly lodged up against the drive shaft sleeve instead of sucked down into the impeller area. Maybe your docking line was 3/4" or 3/8" and polyester? it might have really wound up against your boot and chaffed the heck out of it. How long was it before you knew you sucked the rope up, basically how fast was this damage caused?

Big E

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The boat had turned off, unaware of what had happened. Turned it back on for about 5 minutes until I realized I had ran over a docking line that someone had left by the dock.

Big E

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Next time it turns off, I will definitely not be turning it back on. Lesson learned!

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm surprised it didn't turn back off again. The rope probably shimmied down to the boot and didn't restrict water flow enough for the thing to kick off. Instead it just tore up your boot. That sucks, I'm kind of worried one day I'll be cruising and run over a floating tow rope and need a tow back. There's so much power in that vacuum. In my marina slip near August-Sept we get big water plants that are tough and durable like cordage, if I run over one it will rip it to pieces even uprooting a few. Then I've got to dive in and fish it out. Sure which there was a gate or something on that metal inlet grate.

DrivenPhoto

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I agree, the shaft guard does nothing... theres about two inches of the actually shaft exposed at impeller. I did it twice in two days... the first was not watching or caring thinking this "feature" was a benefit. Second was my woman getting frustrated and me taking over but nobody had the rope. Do yourself a favor, get a long knife(machete) that can reach the end of the shaft... you can start cutting the rope... its tedious but better than 4k in repairs. I took a Maps gas torch and heated up the machete and cut right through the nylon rope like butter. Pulled out all the bits I could... Cranked the motor up and it shot out the rest. Good to go!! TWICE! :shifty: