• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sucked up rocks

Amanda Herrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We sucked up rocks in our 2014 Scarab 195 and don't know where to look to get them out. Nothing visible in the grate under the boat. We don't know what to pull apart to get the rocks out. We tried the tips from the manual and can't find detailed images of the engine anywhere online.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@ScarabMike might be able to help you. On our Yamahas, for those things that we can't get out through the Yamaha clean out ports, we often look into the intake closely with a bright flashlight and even use a mechanics folding mirror, and also into the nozzle end of the pump. We can almost see all of it but not quite. It is easier if we have to get at something stuck inside the pump, to just remove the pump assembly. But I haven't actually read about pump removal on the Scarab and don't know how easy that is. Rocks can be very hard on both the liner and the impeller. You may not have anything left inside but the damage may be causing the cavitation and noise. I will keep an eye on this thread, so if you would be so kind as to post up the process and your results, it will help others that follow along after.

I also wanted to welcome you to JETBOATERS.NET @Amanda Herrick , while our roots have been mostly Yamaha, we have members from the other jet boat makes out there, and Scarabmike is the Forum Lead for the Scarab, he may be able to give you some first hand. The more member participation in that forum will just help in the long term for everyone. Welcome once again and looking forward to seeing you with it back in the water in good order!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Amanda Herrick

Welcome to Jetboaters.net!! Ok.... First I need to know if you trailer your boat. If you do, then take it out of the water, bring it to where you can safely look in the grate. Look towards the impeller with a flashlight. If you see rocks, your going to have to open the grate, and get them. There are bolts, and silicone sealant. make sure you seal it back up, or you will cavitate. Now, if there isn't rocks there, look through the nozzle. Put the lever in full forward with the engine off. Look at that side of the impeller. Look at the condition of the blades, and wear ring. If you cant see it there, but still hear them, take it to the dealer for a jet disassemble.

This could be a costly mistake. Always make sure you dont operate the engine in less than 18" of water. If your going to beach the rear of the boat, turn it off, and jump out. Then pull the boat to shore. When your leaving, push the boat out. Once it has some space (18" at least) turn on the engine. Remember, there is no neutral on these boats. They are always sucking water through the grate when the engine is on. Think of it as a huge vacuum cleaner. Give it enough depth so that all that it could suck is water.

Good luck!

Amanda Herrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScarabMike might be able to help you. On our Yamahas, for those things that we can't get out through the Yamaha clean out ports, we often look into the intake closely with a bright flashlight and even use a mechanics folding mirror, and also into the nozzle end of the pump. We can almost see all of it but not quite. It is easier if we have to get at something stuck inside the pump, to just remove the pump assembly. But I haven't actually read about pump removal on the Scarab and don't know how easy that is. Rocks can be very hard on both the liner and the impeller. You may not have anything left inside but the damage may be causing the cavitation and noise. I will keep an eye on this thread, so if you would be so kind as to post up the process and your results, it will help others that follow along after.

I also wanted to welcome you to JETBOATERS.NET @Amanda Herrick , while our roots have been mostly Yamaha, we have members from the other jet boat makes out there, and Scarabmike is the Forum Lead for the Scarab, he may be able to give you some first hand. The more member participation in that forum will just help in the long term for everyone. Welcome once again and looking forward to seeing you with it back in the water in good order!
Thanks for the quick reply. We are quite frustrated because we haven't even made it past the first 10 hours in our first boat. We were hoping it would be more hardy. We've been searching for engine assembly so my hubby can start taking things apart but we've had no luck. Any help would be appreciated!

Amanda Herrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thank you. We do have it on the trailer and couldn't immediately see rocks. My husband was concerned with taking the grate off because of the silicone, so it's good to know that we can do that. Do you know where we may find photos of the assembly of the parts you're talking about? We are brand new to boating and haven't found it online. Again, thanks for any help you can offer.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you want to make a close inspection inside the cavity without taking much apart besides the grate, I recommend a tube camera. There are many different kinds and price ranges. If it were myself, and I decided there were rocks down inside that I couldn't see, I would take it to my dealership. I'm willing to do a lot on my boat, but this kind of dis-assembly isn't one of them.

Although, if you decide to brave the repair on your own and figure it out, please do share your procedure.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Removing a pump on the Yamahas is 4 bolts and about 15 minutes. Is it harder than that on the scarab? Hoping someone can post the procedure!

Amanda Herrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you want to make a close inspection inside the cavity without taking much apart besides the grate, I recommend a tube camera. There are many different kinds and price ranges. If it were myself, and I decided there were rocks down inside that I couldn't see, I would take it to my dealership. I'm willing to do a lot on my boat, but this kind of dis-assembly isn't one of them.

Although, if you decide to brave the repair on your own and figure it out, please do share your procedure.

Amanda Herrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thank you. My husband is going to remove the grate tonight and see where he gets. Likely if we don't have luck, we'll contact the dealer.

Hillt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
You better grab hold of your pocket book and pray for not much damage. I sucked up a tube rope and my boat is still in the shop awaiting back ordered parts 5 weeks later and when I get it back I will write them a $4400 dollar check to take it home.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You better grab hold of your pocket book and pray for not much damage. I sucked up a tube rope and my boat is still in the shop awaiting back ordered parts 5 weeks later and when I get it back I will write them a $4400 dollar check to take it home.
Ouch, that is crazy. Do you have pictures to share?

I thought the tube around the impeller shaft was supposed to prevent things wrapping around it.

Where did the damage occur?

Hillt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't have pictures. The shaft guard is a joke it didn't stop anything and that is the part on back order. It stops about 4 inches short of the impeller and still has the shaft exposed for the rope to wrap around it.

Parts were: Wear ring, boot impeller, impeller, shaft guard, pressure pump, floating ring, shaft clip, and misc O-rings and stuff.

I did send a 3rd party boat guy that insurance companies use to validate repair estimates to look at it and talk to the mechanic. He told me all the parts on the list and the hours for repair where within reason.
The $4400 dollars doesn't bother me as much as the back ordered part that has been 5 weeks and the date promised to ship has came and went with no new date of when it will be in. That is the most frustrating part of it! Scarab doesn't have a customer service department to complain too, I have called SCARAB in Michigan and looked online for it with no luck.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I can't believe that much damage from a rope. I know we had one guy (yamaha) I remember reading about that cracked the fiberglass where the shaft enters the boat from a rope wrap up, but that is very rare. Being able to work on these yourself and have minimal impacted parts is important to me. I thought the shaft guard sounded like a good idea and at least some protection. But if a rope gets to the impeller, it can catch and then get wound up, it just shouldn't be as tight. Stuff happens to all boat makes, how easy (and cheap) it is to fix is what motivates me.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So who know how to pull the pump on a Scarab? On a Yamaha I would start there rather than taking off the grate. Scarab can't be much harder???? It is easy on a Yamaha....

But the visual inspection should show you some indication of where you have something stuck....

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took about 10 minutes on my seadoo. I'm sure the scarab is the same

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Hillt That's complete BS. Next time just take it to a seadoo dealer. There is no way that the wear ring, impeller, and shaft have to be replaced. Ask for all of the parts back when you get the boat, if they can reproduce them, sue the hell out of them. I can understand a rock, metal, or even some wood. I don't think they know what they are doing. Also those parts are extremely common on the SeaDoo RXP-X 260, and the Challenger/speedster boats with the 255hp engine packages. Tell their asses to buy from BRP not through a third party like Scarab.

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
$4400.00! That's crazy $$$. I agree with @ScarabMike, get all of the old parts!

Amanda Herrick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
WOW! We did that a few weeks ago but were able to trailer it (after a fisherman towed us to the dock). My husband cut the rope and we had no long term problems.

Edited by Bruce to make the quotation appear as a quotation.

Last edited by a moderator: