• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Sucked up tow rope and now a grinding noise when turning left.

Csgodfrey

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey guys, I just bought a 2024 Yamaha 195s. I sucked a tow rope into the intake and had to be towed back. After arriving home I had to use a plumbing wrench to get the access port open cause it was jammed (seemed like there was so much rope wrapped around that I was not able to push down and twist). After cutting the rope out I took the impeller housing off and inspected shaft and impeller for damage. Everything looked fine but as I free spinner the shaft there was a slight grind. When I say slight it was very light. You had to put your ear up to hear it and it seemed like it was only in one spot. I put everything back together took it back to the lake and I thought it did sound a little different at idle maybe like a slight grind. Boat drove fine and picked up speed like normal. But when turning left real hard you can definitely hear a bad grind. Any thoughts or ideas? Also my depth finder was not working after getting back out. Please help.

Pull the pump cone off, angle the boat down in the front use a dental syringe and slowly inject 80w gear lube in to the pump housing add 4 oz or more and then clean the O ring and reinstall the cone. I had one that when you held the driveshaft and spun the housing you could feel a bump so I did this to try it and ordered the bearing set, I never needed to replace the bearings and drove it for years with no issues I also add gear lube to my intermediate bearing housing from day 1 and have never had any further issues with those nor had to ever do anything else I have posted about this numerous times.

I’m
Pull the pump cone off, angle the boat down in the front use a dental syringe and slowly inject 80w gear lube in to the pump housing add 4 oz or more and then clean the O ring and reinstall the cone. I had one that when you held the driveshaft and spun the housing you could feel a bump so I did this to try it and ordered the bearing set, I never needed to replace the bearings and drove it for years with no issues I also add gear lube to my intermediate bearing housing from day 1 and have never had any further issues with those nor had to ever do anything else I have posted about this numerous timeS.

Thank you for your response. I will try this and let you know what happens.

Everything looked fine but as I free spinner the shaft there was a slight grind.
What are you free spinning? And which direction? If you are turning the shaft, you are rotating the engine crank. And they do not like rotating in reverse without repercussions. I could be wrong.

What are you free spinning? And which direction? If you are turning the shaft, you are rotating the engine crank. And they do not like rotating in reverse without repercussions. I could be wrong.
I was rotating the shaft but I had it pulled out from the motor.

I’m

Thank you for your response. I will try this and let you know what happens.
Pull the pump cone off, angle the boat down in the front use a dental syringe and slowly inject 80w gear lube in to the pump housing add 4 oz or more and then clean the O ring and reinstall the cone.
should I use the OEM gear lube?

should I use the OEM gear lube?
I use regular gear lube nothing fancy but the reason is to liquify the grease in the pump so it keeps lubricating all the parts that need it otherwise the grease can get thrown off the places it is needed and not be able to return . heat would do it but these pumps don't get even warm let alone hot so liquifying the grease is the answer, or you could completely replacing the grease with gear lube like some other manufacturers do . But that is a lot of work and what I do is a lot easier .

Back