• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sun Protection

ROTD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since it is still too cold for boating here (snow again on the ground this morning :confused:) , let talk about warmer weather and what are your favorite sun protection items. Items for boat protection (waxes, 303, etc.) from the harmful UV rays and items for humans\pets protection as well. Skin cancer is serious business and can be avoided!!

So let hear about your favorite hats, swim shirts, creams, waxes, shade devices, etc....

Maybe this will help spring to finally arrive here :D

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I let my wife put on a good layer of sunscreen and then I try to stay under her. :winkingthumbsup"

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having a fair skinned wife and kids, I have a few tricks.

I use an Anchorshade 3 for some extra shade on the boat: http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/anchorshade/

Sun bum works really well, and smells awesome.

Some form of long sleve shirt, I like the SLX UVapor from Salt Life, and the Colombia PFG shirts a lot.

Boat hat (not for use while under way) :cool:

ROTD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@F.M. Is she available for others to use as well? :rolleyes: cough, cough

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Sorry, I've never been good at sharing.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll second the anchor shade. They are awesome.

On my 230sx I can put it up so that it covers the bow area and still have the center cushion in place for the "sun pad." (Maybe it should be called a "shade pad" now?) The pole is just touching the center cushion (if I recall correctly) and one edge of the Anchor Shade is just touching the forward edge of the Bimini. It makes for one continuous cover. REALLY nice when the sun is directly overhead.

I was considering one for the stern to replace the $12 beach umbrella I use back there but funds are tight this year due to eldest starting college. I need to keep the extras to a minimum. Plus, I need to do a brake job on the trailer. The left-side caliper hung up on me during the last trip out last fall so that's where this years improvement funds will go.

ROTD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having a fair skinned wife and kids, I have a few tricks.

I use an Anchorshade 3 for some extra shade on the boat: http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/anchorshade/

Sun bum works really well, and smells awesome.

Some form of long sleve shirt, I like the SLX UVapor from Salt Life, and the Colombia PFG shirts a lot.

Boat hat (not for use while under way) :cool:
I have been looking at a boat hat very similar, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Most of the time I just wear a baseball style cap while at the beach, fishing, or on the golf course. Since we just bought our first boat and plan on being on the water a lot more I think a bigger hat is in order.

I'm assuming those shirts are quick drying and good for swimming\wading. Since I don't really like tight fitting shirts, most swim type shirts don't really appeal to me.

The wife is very fair skinned while our daughter and myself are more olive toned (some greek heritage). Will definitely check out the Sun Bum products. Thanks

synackattack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been looking at a boat hat very similar, but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Most of the time I just wear a baseball style cap while at the beach, fishing, or on the golf course. Since we just bought our first boat and plan on being on the water a lot more I think a bigger hat is in order.

I'm assuming those shirts are quick drying and good for swimming\wading. Since I don't really like tight fitting shirts, most swim type shirts don't really appeal to me.

The wife is very fair skinned while our daughter and myself are more olive toned (some greek heritage). Will definitely check out the Sun Bum products. Thanks
Yeah I take both. The baseball cap for when we are in motion and the bigger hat while at anchor. Keeps the sun off shoulders and upper back.

And you are correct about the shirts. They dry relatively quickly (compared to cotton) and also keep you cool while they are still wet.

ROTD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll second the anchor shade. They are awesome.

On my 230sx I can put it up so that it covers the bow area and still have the center cushion in place for the "sun pad." (Maybe it should be called a "shade pad" now?) The pole is just touching the center cushion (if I recall correctly) and one edge of the Anchor Shade is just touching the forward edge of the Bimini. It makes for one continuous cover. REALLY nice when the sun is directly overhead.

I was considering one for the stern to replace the $12 beach umbrella I use back there but funds are tight this year due to eldest starting college. I need to keep the extras to a minimum. Plus, I need to do a brake job on the trailer. The left-side caliper hung up on me during the last trip out last fall so that's where this years improvement funds will go.
Those Anchor Shades do look awesome. The price is better than some of the other shades I've have seen, but still ouch!! Will have to add that to the wish list though.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The long sleeve UV resistant Salt Life, Columbia and UA shirts are amazing. I have quite a few that I only wear when on the water or cutting grass.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had these sun shades made when we had our bimini redone. Zippers to the bimini and bungie balls on bottom to secure to tower.
20170517_135318.jpg
They are great!
20170801_153257_001.jpg
And also provide a little privacy. You can barely see my wife's head on port side cockpit seat.

Last edited:

RadioWaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not to big on brand name uv wear, I buy whatever is on sale since it doesn't look good very long but a big straw hat, uv shirt and lots of sunscreen is the answer. I have had melenoma twice and luckily was caught early. I assume from growing up with a constant sunburn every summer

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I love my Tilley! And of course, lots of sunscreen, always.

P1020746.JPG

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A bar with an umbrella or shade is our answer to the sun. But mostly just avoid the middle of the day. And it always seems to catch us but we forget that even 30-40 mins in the sun for the first time burns. So we really try to cover up. Id say wear any type of t-shirt that works well in water. And that sun burn won't show up until way after you have gotten enough sun, so I'd say again, just really try to get in the shade.