• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SuperCharger clutch replacement ( rebuild )

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same, I have 70hrs and supercharger is great but I will be doing the rebuild at 200 hours. My jetski dealer (not Marinemax) says all watercraft and marine supercharges have a life expectancy of max 200 hrs. Some may run a lot longer but 200 is the time to rebuild. I will be upgrading my supercharger at 200 for a little more power too :winkingthumbsup"

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ditto on above. My Doo is at 91? hours now, and 4 years old, on the original chargers. Hasn't lost a bit of top end or performance. I may rebuild them to help with the sale if I still have it this winter, but even as obsessive as I am about maintenance, I just can't justify it right now. 200 hours is a definite, and I imagine you'll notice less top end at that point. 2 years? I don't buy into that so much, but to each their own.

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
What kind of upgrades are out there for superchargers? Haven't exactly looked into it but you've peaked my curiosity!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Scarabtech

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Allright here's the what you should do regarding your supercharger maintenance. At 200 hrs. you need to have it rebuilt. This is at 200 hrs no matter if it takes 4-5 years to reach 200 hrs as it can in Michigan. When they used ceramic washers back in the day it was every 100 hrs. The labor bto have this job done should not exceed 3-3.5 hrs of labor. Unfortunately somebody in this post hit the nail on the head when you said untrained mechanics. However you see this with all brands and styles. Research your dealer before buying.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If they would research the dealer network, then there would be way less Scarabs sold. 90% of the "dealer network" is flawed, and looks at Scarab customers as a nuisance. If Scarab would have thought about post-sale relationships with their customers, they would have contracted existing SeaDoo dealerships to sell and service their boats. Not a direct competitor. Its amazing how the Scarab line is the only one of the new Rotax powered boat lines that are having the majority of the issues. The Chaparral has been almost flawless in their launch, quality, and post sale experiences.

Allright here's the what you should do regarding your supercharger maintenance. At 200 hrs. you need to have it rebuilt. This is at 200 hrs no matter if it takes 4-5 years to reach 200 hrs as it can in Michigan. When they used ceramic washers back in the day it was every 100 hrs. The labor bto have this job done should not exceed 3-3.5 hrs of labor. Unfortunately somebody in this post hit the nail on the head when you said untrained mechanics. However you see this with all brands and styles. Research your dealer before buying.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If they would research the dealer network, then there would be way less Scarabs sold. 90% of the "dealer network" is flawed, and looks at Scarab customers as a nuisance. If Scarab would have thought about post-sale relationships with their customers, they would have contracted existing SeaDoo dealerships to sell and service their boats. Not a direct competitor. Its amazing how the Scarab line is the only one of the new Rotax powered boat lines that are having the majority of the issues. The Chaparral has been almost flawless in their launch, quality, and post sale experiences.
And THIS is what will seperate the lines from each other.

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My dealer is one of the biggest BRP dealer in the area, it may save my ass sometime.

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
ACE supercharger? Maintenance free! Im onboard. Anyone have any links to info on them?

Thanks

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
.... Or wait til the warranty ends, and replace the old SC with the new ACE one, its maintenance free!!!

I have close to 70 hours on my boat and the supercharger is fine for two years of use.
What are the economics / financials on maintaining v. upgrading the supercharger?

I've always wished Yamaha would put superchargers in the 240 series boats but only the 192s have them. I wonder how often they have to be rebuilt and at what cost?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Only the 192s are supercharged as far as I know.

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
ACE supercharger? Maintenance free! Im onboard. Anyone have any links to info on them?

Thanks
You have to change the whole back pto housing to the new style to be able to run the new 300hp superchargers.

Also none of them are maintenance free. Don't believe that claim. Clutches are a wear item.

R502

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Everything I've read here or by the manufacturer would lead me to pull the unit and have the clutch replaced after two years despite the hours. I'll have 90 or so hours by the end of this season (28 months) and plan on having the clutch done for peace of mind.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
While the wet clutch rings do wear, the supercharger maintenance on the Rotax superchargers is for the bearings. The new superchargers are built with bigger forged, and forged internals, the oiling jets are bigger, and the cogs have been built with larger splines.
I'll elaborate on "Maintenance Free". It's maintenance free FOR THE LIFE OF THE WARRANTY. But, still better than the second gen units we have on our Scarab's.

Also, looks that its not backward compatible with the 1503. So that sucks.

As far as rebuilding the SC. You can do this yourself if you have proper tools. Or there are companies you can send them off to. These two options are way cheaper than the dealers.

You have to change the whole back pto housing to the new style to be able to run the new 300hp superchargers.

Also none of them are maintenance free. Don't believe that claim. Clutches are a wear item.

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I still say turbo. Modern turbos don't have to do the rebuild nearly as often and don't have the stresses of a belt or chain drive on them. Would need to figure out the drain system for the oil but not a problem there as there are kits out there for these conversions.
Just gotta worry about heat!

Pretty sure you could have the dealer rebuild the supercharger a good number of times before the turbo kit starts to make any sense. I mean, it'll burn more gas with the extra boost too so probably not saving any money. Could get a boost controller and tone it down for gas savings and then turn it up for playing around.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
A turbo jet boat @Speedling ....... Sounds like something you and I should accomplish,lol.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
A turbo jet boat @Speedling ....... Sounds like something you and I should accomplish,lol.
Like i said, there are kits for the supercharged motors from both sides. Not the mr-1 as they never were able to crack the code from Yamaha. I have other projects on my hands or i would be totally into it! Maybe once my kids are a few more years? We decided we want to see if our kids are into cruising and sightseeing, wake sports, speed, or just swimming. That will determine a new boat and new mods.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length