• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Surf set up questions

Doug Kline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
First time trying to go ropeless on our 2017 212X. Conditions were horrible, lots of chop and 20 mile an hour gusts, even though we got out on the lake early. Ride steady, wake booster + jet wash deflector, fat sack surfside, stock ballast tanks in rear 100% surfside, 50% non-surf, 125 pounds of lead +185 fat sack in the compartment right behind driver. Was planning on filling the ski locker to try to get some length out of the wave but pump would not turn on, red light on screen. The bow was riding so high that at times, I couldn’t even get to 10.3 mph, especially when a gust kicked up. Tried to shift 125 of lead upfront, but really took away the push, jet wash was noticeably worse.
Question is: do you think that running the booster plus the jet wash deflector is a mistake? Also, when I fix the pump, will I get some length out of the wave without losing height and push? I think the boys did pretty good first time surfing ropeless behind the boat. 

The jet wash deflector may be acting like a trim tab forcing the bow down. Pretty easy to remove it and try again windy conditions do not help, you have no control of that. Looks like they are having fun

Yeah, would really have liked to do back to back comparisons, but the conditions were so variable that it would be hard to come to any good conclusion. We did end up pulling 25 pounds at a time out of the bow into the back and it noticeably cleaned up the jet wash. It’s funny, when we have 4 good size pieces of human ballast in the back and no jet wash deflector, it looks cleaner than with the transom bag and deflector. I’m just hoping that when we’re able to fill the ski locker, it’ll length in the way without taking away too much push. My son actually ran into the back of the boat on time ?

Pm being sent

You may have too much weight for the motors. After adding a distributed 500lbs of lead in my boat, I don't need to fill my transom sack for kids to surf. For adults, I fill the transom sack only and run at 10.5. if it's just two of us in the boat. Or not at all if we have a boat load.

I'm almost certain it was the bow ridding too high and acting like a sail with the wind. We have had more weight on the boat with humans + ballast and never had a problem maintaining 10.5. Normally, I would only have to put the throttle @ 3/4 to have the ridesteady maintain that speed. We were at times able to hit our target MPH, but it would really fluctuate with the wind. Boys would constantly have to speed up and slow down to compensate for the erratic wake. Almost like we weren't using the ridesteady... I guess we'll fix the issue with the ski locker pump and try it again without the jetwash deflector and some midship weight.

Calm water makes a huge difference 20230814_171523.jpg

Back