• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SVHO Aftermarket Catch Can...Why?

If you have major engine trouble the ribbon is the least of your worries. I think you’re grossly over exaggerating the typical warranty claim scenario for 95% of issues people run into but you’re free to feel as you wish. I don’t think you’ll find a single person on here who had their insurance revoked or warranty canceled because of a ribbon, excluding anyone who improperly removed theirs of course.

Last edited:
Thankfully the 1.8 still uses a separate ribbon and it’s not integrated into a plastic manifold like the TR1 has.
I read that the ribbons have been integrated in the newer throttle body intake manifolds of the 1.8L, 2019 and newer models. The manifolds are plastic now. It's possible to remove them, but a bigger pain in the butt as you have to cut it out of the plastic housing and removing the manifold is recommended to do the job. This means removing the fuel rail for the injectors too.

For some reason I was thinking that was TR1 only but now I remember this on the 2019+. That sucks it’s not such an easy swap now.

If you have major engine trouble the ribbon is the least of your worries. I think you’re grossly over exaggerating the typical warranty claim scenario for 95% of issues people run into but you’re free to feel as you wish. I don’t think you’ll find a single person on here who had their insurance revoked or warranty canceled because of a ribbon, excluding anyone who improperly removed theirs of course.
@haknslash ..... don't want to devolve into an argument but consider this: My friend owned a marina - a guy came rolling in with his Ferarri with a lawyer's letter threatening XYZ if my friend didn't cover warranty on his triple outboards which had been damaged. All my friend had said to him was - bring them in - we'll see. Both he and I have seen too many weekend wallies do their own mods and damage engines as they had no idea how to modify engines with balance. A couple of days later he came over to my house (we were next door neighbours) he said come into the marina tomorrow - it outta be fun. F-guy brought in his skater with the triples. My friend dropped the rig into their test tank and hooked the engines up and turned them on and warmed them up. F-guy was watching. Immediately the screen had red flashing bars on it. The fuel and air curves did not match the RPM.....long story short weekend wally and some knucklehead friend had messed with the fuel rails and jets...smoked the engines NO warranty. F-guy was invited to leave. He did uttering legal threats. My friend filed a note with the manufacturer incase F-guy tried to scam someone else. Never heard from him again. As for YAMAHA - when the dealership (who I buy Yamahas from: 2018 SVHO FX Cruiser & 2020 SX195) was doing a service check on my 2018 SVHO FX Waverunner someone in the shop turned-off the exterior water hose. The Yamaha overheat alarm went off and registered an overheat code. The tech got his connect cable and laptop software out and had to take about 10 minutes scrolling through screens, clicking as he went to erase the overheat code. He then re-started the engine and re- ran the software to make sure the code was actually erased. I asked why the fuss and he replied he didn't want me to have any future warranty claim issues. I guess if a boat is serviced at Billy Bob's corner store mods during warranty don't make a difference. Yamaha states any mods not approved by Yamaha in writing void any warranty. My point? Again, why risk a warranty issue for the crappy gains of a ribbon removal and that is IF you add the air flow collar because without that you are worse-off than leaving it stock. Then there's the issue of removing a flame arrestor and your marine insurance. For fun call a marine insurance agent and see what that means. Try burning-up a boat valued at 100K and see how thorough the insurance adjusters become. ..... but as you said (and I agree) anyone on here can accept or ignore any advice they choose which IMO is what makes this forum so great! :cool:

Last edited:
My friend didn’t add the sleeves to his SX240 when he removed it and I think he hit 54 gps verified. Personally I prefer the sleeve but it apparently doesn’t do much compared to without.

We will just have to agree to disagree with the boogie man stuff you’re so concerned over. Again you’re trying to use exaggerated scenarios to compare a ribbon delete to. What I’m saying is if customer x takes their boat in because the timing chain failed or that their intermediate housing is toast, then no mechanic worth his weight in grease and experience could blame that on the ribbon delete as the root cause. Not sure why your buddy said they were adjusting the fuel rail and jets in a modern day engine. For starters I’ve never seen a stock engine with an adjustable fuel rail. Usually that requires a fuel pressure regulator to be added or aftermarket rail installed. I’ve also never heard of a modern fuel injected engine as having jets. They have injectors though, sometimes two per cylinder! Jets are something you’d find on a carburetor but whatever the story is moot as one shoe does not fit all scenarios lol. I’ve had plenty of highly modified toys for decades and never had an issue. I’ll leave it at that since this is well off topic with little value.

Last edited:
You guys know that yamaha themselves sell the ribbon delete sleeve as a yamaha part? You can buy it direct from them. The ribbon delete is far different that a reflash. A reflash will absolutely void your warranty. At wot there is a 1psi difference from one side of the ribbon to the other so that is what you gain. Its slight and i dont think you would really notice on a boat so why bother. A waverunner is a different story.

We will just have to agree to disagree with the boogie man stuff you’re so concerned over. Again you’re trying to use exaggerated scenarios to compare a ribbon delete to. What I’m saying is if customer x takes their boat in because the timing chain failed or that their intermediate housing is toast, then no mechanic worth his weight in grease and experience could blame that on the ribbon delete as the root cause. Not sure why your buddy said they were adjusting the fuel rail and jets in a modern day engine. For starters I’ve never seen a stock engine with an adjustable fuel rail. Usually that requires a fuel pressure regulator to be added or aftermarket rail installed. I’ve also never heard of a modern fuel injected engine as having jets. They have injectors though, sometimes two per cylinder! Jets are something you’d find on a carburetor but whatever the story is moot as one shoe does not fit all scenarios lol. I’ve had plenty of highly modified toys for decades and never had an issue. I’ll leave it at that since this is well off topic with little value.

His story is so full of misinformation it's almost hard to read. I believe it happened, but either he misheard and is misrepeating the information or the "F-guy" did SERIOUS mods to the fuel system.

I've modified fuel rails before to add 10:1 rising rate regulators to them. It involves removal of the rail, good cleaning, and welding or brazing new fittings on. I've also put new injectors in engines before, some of which were "hand modified" with a drill bit to increase orifice size internally. It was wildly foolish and didn't run worth a shit afterwards, regardless of how much time I spent trying to remap the fueling tables on that engine. Those are precision parts for a reason!........

Anywho, here's may take (although nobody asked for it, I feel it's somewhat implied that we're all bench racing here and contributions are fun). There will ALWAYS be some jackass trying to get over on the dealership with warranty claims after significant modifications. Those people exist, and are a small percentage of the buying customer population. The rest of us can rest easy with relatively safe modifications (like a ribbon delete, or catch can) not hurting our warranty. Magnuson Moss act leaves the burden of proof on the manufacturer that the modification you made is the root cause of the issue at hand. If your timing chain fails, they aren't going to deny warranty coverage because you have your spark arrestor removed. If they do, you have legal footing to seek compensation.

I've been around fast cars and fast boats my whole life. Some homegrown and handbuilt, other showroom new and modded to the moon. If you work with the dealership, and are an honest fellow about how/when/where/why you had a failure, then there is nothing to worry about here. ESPECIALLY with a catch can or ribbon delete.

For some reason I was thinking that was TR1 only but now I remember this on the 2019+. That sucks it’s not such an easy swap now.
Yeah I was thinking of doing it after the warranty period, but it seems like too much work for so little gain. Besides the boat is a monster as it is now...I don't need to increase fuel consumption.
?

Yeah I was thinking of doing it after the warranty period, but it seems like too much work for so little gain. Besides the boat is a monster as it is now...I don't need to increase fuel consumption.
?
Doubt it will mess with fuel consumption at a noticeable level.

However I will agree that a 21' twin 1.8L boat probably has ZERO issues with power already :D

On the 2019 NA 1.8l SX190 it is still very easy. I believe the SVHO has changed.

@haknslash No PWC forums for me. I have a 2021 195S and this is the only relatable forum I am on. I have stumbled on quite a few posts/people on here advocating for installing aftermarket catch cans on these boats. Just hoping to gain a better insight on why, as from what I am seeing it does not make any sense.

There are a lot of folks that advocate a lot of things with no real advantage or purpose. Most of the time these are folks with deeply held beliefs based on what they read in forums, or from people that sell these types of aftermarket products that have an obvious motivation. Also some folks just like to tinker as they have the money and time on their hands.

There are a lot of folks that advocate a lot of things with no real advantage or purpose. Most of the time these are folks with deeply held beliefs based on what they read in forums, or from people that sell these types of aftermarket products that have an obvious motivation. Also some folks just like to tinker as they have the money and time on their hands.

Very true.

I agree for the little things like a catch can by itself. Modders though are looking for every last bit of performance, so it all adds and helps increase performance. Doing a catch can on a stock Yamaha is a waste of time and money, but doing numerous other mods to increase power adds up and then it makes sense.

I agree for the little things like a catch can by itself. Modders though are looking for every last bit of performance, so it all adds and helps increase performance. Doing a catch can on a stock Yamaha is a waste of time and money, but doing numerous other mods to increase power adds up and then it makes sense.

Maybe. Humans have confirmation bias which is why you have so many people posting that what they have done works and then more people, and then it's self fulfilling and confirming. There is really nothing objective or empirical, especially from companies that sell products. There are people that spend a ton of hours and ton of money that can get significant performance gains.

Maybe. Humans have confirmation bias which is why you have so many people posting that what they have done works and then more people, and then it's self fulfilling and confirming. There is really nothing objective or empirical, especially from companies that sell products. There are people that spend a ton of hours and ton of money that can get significant performance gains.

Once met a guy at a drag strip with a Mitsubishi Turbo Mirage. The little tin can looking hatchback one from the late eighties. This thing looked ridiculous, had one of the office wall mount "inbox" letter trays wood screwed to the hood. We were waiting in line to get in to the drag strip in central KY. We struck up a conversation while siting on the tailgate (he was right behind us in line). Come to find out this dude had like 6 notebooks of notes from EVERY SINGLE time down the strip. He had been racing this car for the last 15 years. He had all kinds of weird mods to the car. Like a single GIANT injector plumbed into the intake pipe from the turbo. It was powered by 12V, a relay, and an old hobbs switch. It "came on" at like 10psi boost or something. However, it worked. And he could pinpoint exactly how much it affected his ET and trap speed. EVERY SINGLE MOD was backed up by data logs and ET/Trap speed. Every mod as also only there to make it go faster. If it didn't go faster after the mod, he dropped it, and found a better way. Told us he had just under $5k in the car. All in, $5k. That guy knew how to optimize performance on a budget.

Point being. Without good empirical data, we're all just guessing. With boat mods it is SUPER SUPER hard to get that data. Even when I did my back to back L13 testing, at the ramp, on the same day. The temp dropped 10deg and it started raining between tests. Even those tests with video overlay of GPS speed and watching the tach, didn't really prove out to be great data. Online forums are GREAT at creating information, however it's often anecdotal evidence that is turned into gospel over time out of the nature of the platform.

Back