• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swimming Flag????

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Skier-Down Flag
Orange Skier-Down Flag

Missouri State law requires that operators of a motorboat (other than a PWC) on the waters of the Mississippi River, the Missouri River, or Missouri lakes between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and sunset must clearly display a red or orange flag whenever a person enters the water before or after being towed on water skis or other similar devices.
  • The flag must be at least 12 inches x 12 inches in size.
  • The flag should not be displayed while the vessel is underway towing the person(s) on water skis or other similar devices.
  • PWC and moored or anchored motorboats are exempt from displaying the skier-down flag.
  • Vessel operators must not operate within 50 yards of a displayed skier-down flag
No other flag is required in Missouri. The skier down flag is also used if you are just swimming and your boat is not anchored, it is not needed if you are anchored.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For the record - state laws vary so some of these rules differ from state to state but this is most noticeable regarding the Orange or in some states Red skier flag- Illinois requires the flag during towing sports from time riders enter the water to the time they exit the water. Some states require the use only when the skier is down. I am unaware of any state that intends it as a a swimmer flag and some specifically say they should only be used for tow sports. As for Diver down flags they are specifically ONLY to be used during diving or snorkeling activities while in the water. Alpha flags are for federal waters and I expect few inland lake boaters would know what the Alpha flag means.
As a dive master I can’t count the number of times boats have run over my diver down flag, and having served in the Coast Guard I do remember having to explain what the diver down flags were to many boaters. For us, we don’t fly any flags for swimming near the boat while anchored, but I do fly or tow a diver down flag when diving. We do fly a combo Alpha and Red/white diver down flags when diving offshore or on Lake Michigan