• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Swimming Flag????

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Coming in from left field......

We have been boating for many years. We like to drop anchor to float around near the boat to cool off and just have some fun in the water (like most of you probably do as well).

This past weekend, we were approached by another boater who (from his high horse) tried to lecture us about not having a SCUBA/Diver in the water flag displayed. We always put up our orange flag high up on the tower to let others know we have swimmers in the water. Also be noted that when we do this, we make sure we are not "That Boat" who drops anchor in the middle of the skiing/boarding/tubing path.

I have been under the impression that was sufficient and that the red/white striped flag was for when you have divers below the surface and shall be displayed above the diver's location.... Although, after doing some research I learned about the Alpha Flag and the federal requirements on when to be flown. Neither of these flags meets our needs as we are not diving.

Looking for some comments from the peanut gallery as to what ya'll do when anchored out and just chilling in the water?????

Thanks for the feedback.

Alpha and SCUBA Flags 02.jpgAlpha and SCUBA Flags.jpg

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don’t put a flag out while anchored and I’ve never seen anyone else do it on our lake. We always find a quiet small cove to avoid boat traffic. We have a bright orange flag that we hold up when a surfer, tuber, etc falls into the water. Curious what others have to say.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I kind of feel like if they can't see & avoid your boat then why would they notice a flag, let along identify what that flag is for?

My guess is that guy who read you your rights doesn't get out much. I picture Barney Fife saying "Citizens Arrest, Citizens Arrest"

You at least put up an orange flag, we don't even have that requirement here in North Carolina. Had family in our boat from Idaho this summer. They were freaking out because we didn't have an orange flag for when someone fell off the tube. What a pain in the ass that would be.
My 2cents.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never heard of the orange flag. Its seems its always been pretty obvious if a boat was pulling a skier or tube because as soon as someone fell, the boat stopped and headed back to the skier. And most states require an observer so the pulling boat should have a pretty good idea whats going on with the person being pulled. A flag being hoisted every time someone fell seems like more of a distraction.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Orange flag is the law here in Arizona when towing people & they fall in.
Not aware of any requirement when swimming near the boat at anchor.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've only seen a divers flag deployed once when I was a kid. My dad told me what it was. It makes sense for divers/snorklers although north Texas lakes don't have much of either. The only swimmers flag I've seen is in some marketing material for boats. I just stay clear of anchored boats and hope they stay clear of me.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@mrmeaniemeateaterman Hahaha! This guy was more like "I'm rich and have an expensive new boat and I rule the world" kind of guy (Master Craft all decked out and looking more like Thurston Howell with a Captain's hat on and all).
Thurston Howell.jpg

I just was polite and said I would look into this.....

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If we have anyone in the water (in IL or MO) whether tow sports or swimming, we have an orange flag up.

That’s what I was always taught. Admittedly, I have not yet completed a safety course, so I suppose I could learn something different when I get around to it.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here in the People's Republic of Illinois, they require an orange flag ANYTIME you are pulling a towed device. Skis, tubes, whatever. However, there is NO requirement for when swimmers are in the water. I would ask the fella, if you are swimming there without a boat would you still need a flag?

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If we have anyone in the water (in IL or MO) whether tow sports or swimming, we have an orange flag up.

That’s what I was always taught. Admittedly, I have not yet completed a safety course, so I suppose I could learn something different when I get around to it.
@BigAbe75 That is our situation as well. So I looked it up and "learnt" something new about the Alpha Flag.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here in the People's Republic of Illinois, they require an orange flag ANYTIME you are pulling a towed device. Skis, tubes, whatever. However, there is NO requirement for when swimmers are in the water. I would ask the fella, if you are swimming there without a boat would you still need a flag?
@Dixie Highway "I would ask the fella, if you are swimming there without a boat would you still need a flag?"
Spitting Laughing.gif

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Coming in from left field......

We have been boating for many years. We like to drop anchor to float around near the boat to cool off and just have some fun in the water (like most of you probably do as well).

This past weekend, we were approached by another boater who (from his high horse) tried to lecture us about not having a SCUBA/Diver in the water flag displayed. We always put up our orange flag high up on the tower to let others know we have swimmers in the water. Also be noted that when we do this, we make sure we are not "That Boat" who drops anchor in the middle of the skiing/boarding/tubing path.

I have been under the impression that was sufficient and that the red/white striped flag was for when you have divers below the surface and shall be displayed above the diver's location.... Although, after doing some research I learned about the Alpha Flag and the federal requirements on when to be flown. Neither of these flags meets our needs as we are not diving.

Looking for some comments from the peanut gallery as to what ya'll do when anchored out and just chilling in the water?????

Thanks for the feedback.

View attachment 103803View attachment 103804
The guy is a moron.

You do not want to display the scuba/dive flag unless you have people diving. It mandates a distance of 300ft (90m) of restricted approach for any other vessel.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've never heard of the orange flag. Its seems its always been pretty obvious if a boat was pulling a skier or tube because as soon as someone fell, the boat stopped and headed back to the skier. And most states require an observer so the pulling boat should have a pretty good idea whats going on with the person being pulled. A flag being hoisted every time someone fell seems like more of a distraction.
@Noko I used to think that as well, but also this past weekend I had to lay on the horn to alert/wake up another boater (who was cutting across the lake coming at us at a 90). One of the boys took a digger trying to jump the wake. Flag went up and a quick return to the rider to bring him the rope for another go and above mentioned jackass was full steam ahead directly to where the rider was. Jackass made a hard turn starboard < 50' from my boat that I placed between the rider and said jackass. He never even saw the rider down and flipped me off as he was turning away.... Apparently, this was not my weekend....... Private membership is looking more and more attractive. We have gone to this particular lake for 15 years and never had these kind of issues. It seems this year all the idiots have migrated to this lake for a season long idiot convention.....
Welcome Idiots.gif

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Dive down flag implies just that...you have divers in the water below.

We will sometimes raft our boats together in the middle of a lake and let people swim around them. When doing so, the orange flag is out as it implies there are people in the water near the boat. Up on Lake Shasta, I've seen the country sheriff go by more than once and never even stop by. He was within 100-200 yards of me, so I know he saw the flag. We also don't do this when the lake is busy.

Some people just have to make it their day to tell others how to enjoy theirs...

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Noko I used to think that as well, but also this past weekend I had to lay on the horn to alert/wake up another boater (who was cutting across the lake coming at us at a 90). One of the boys took a digger trying to jump the wake. Flag went up and a quick return to the rider to bring him the rope for another go and above mentioned jackass was full steam ahead directly to where the rider was. Jackass made a hard turn starboard < 50' from my boat that I placed between the rider and said jackass. He never even saw the rider down and flipped me off as he was turning away.... Apparently, this was not my weekend....... Private membership is looking more and more attractive. We have gone to this particular lake for 15 years and never had these kind of issues. It seems this year all the idiots have migrated to this lake for a season long idiot convention.....
View attachment 103814
That’s too close of a call but sounds just like the lakes I go to.
I’m envious of those that aren’t familiar with the need for an orange flag, you must have nice lakes!

jryan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey I know this is an old thread but I've recently started snorkeling. We normally take a boat bumper and swim with that above the water. If I was going to display a flag off my boat, which one is the right one? Orange flag, Alpha flag or diver down flag?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you are under the water I'd say the diver down flag

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey I know this is an old thread but I've recently started snorkeling. We normally take a boat bumper and swim with that above the water. If I was going to display a flag off my boat, which one is the right one? Orange flag, Alpha flag or diver down flag?
I agree with @Dixie Highway however, I think a flag on a boat bumper in the water might be more eye catching than on a boat.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I's say the guy was full of $hit. Especially the tow path/zone thing. It really depends if you are in 4' of water at the beach or 10-20'+ in open water. If you are within a few feet of your boat it will not matter, they should keep their distance. Snorkeling and diving have longer underwater exposures and boaters and sometimes even divers don't know exactly where they will come up if they do not stay near the anchor rode. I have a diver down flag and use it while snorkeling or diving around the boat when I know I will be going under, like scrubbing the hull. Strap one to an innertube and let it drift out behind the boat 20-30', that will keep them away.