• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Switch for underwater light

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am thinking of buying the Trinity Transom underwater light for my 212X. It puts out 24000 lumens. I would like to add a switch that matches my other Yamaha boat switches to turn it on. I was thinking of mounting it under the speedometer. Does anyone have any specs on these stock Yamaha switches? Will these switches handle this 24000 lumen underwater light?
20160401_125432_large.jpg yamaha_212ss_13helm.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They are just your run of the mill marine rocker switches and are not Yamaha-specific. I see them even in auto parts stores like Advanced Auto and Autozone. Some of them come with their own switch marking labels.

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to see what those look like in the water! On my list of mods. BUT with a big guarded switch like a self destruct style.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow! What a light! Where'd you get it, and do you have any photo or videos of it?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Just get the WiFi controller. I use it for my 8000 lumen light. Works great. I’m contemplating removing the one light and replacing it with this one for triple the lumens.

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses. I have used OTRATTW before for my Polaris side by side switches. They work great, but it looks like they are a little different style than the stock Yamaha switches. I am not opposed to buying one of the stock switches from Yamaha, but at $40 a piece I want to be sure it will handle this light. I am not an electrical guy, so do I need relays or can I just directly hook up this light to the switch and go? Boatpluglight does have a cheap ($12) controller with a remote, but the thought have having to keep track of one more remote is not something I want to do unless that is my only choice.

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I sent the company an email about using this transom light with the switch from OTRATTW. I will let you know their response.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the responses. I have used OTRATTW before for my Polaris side by side switches. They work great, but it looks like they are a little different style than the stock Yamaha switches. I am not opposed to buying one of the stock switches from Yamaha, but at $40 a piece I want to be sure it will handle this light. I am not an electrical guy, so do I need relays or can I just directly hook up this light to the switch and go? Boatpluglight does have a cheap ($12) controller with a remote, but the thought have having to keep track of one more remote is not something I want to do unless that is my only choice.
Most of the higher quality products will include a wiring harness with a switch and an inline fuse to make it easy. You will want a fuse somewhere along the line to protect yourself. For the jeep I use an spod. It looks like a lot of these guys use a blue sea fuse block. Max is 30 amp fuses, but that should be plenty for your lights since they're led. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Mike Byrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I heard back from boatpluglight. They said the OTRATTW switch would work fine without a relay. The also recommended a 15 amp fuse be used within 18" of the power source.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I heard back from boatpluglight. They said the OTRATTW switch would work fine without a relay. The also recommended a 15 amp fuse be used within 18" of the power source.
Awesome. Can't wait to see the install. That's definitely on the list after I finish all my safety and make life easier mods.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Mike Byrd be careful making the switch too accessible and easy to turn on... the light requires water for cooling and if it accidently gets turned on when your boat is on the trailer it will quickly die.

I hid my switch in the battery compartment and also bought their remote, so the switch needs to be turned on and the remote needs to turn the light on, so I have double protection.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I need this.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mount it to a piezo buzzer and a strobe light.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hmmmm. I currently have no way or knowing when my keg is low. If I can figure out a sensor that would not give off false positives I could hook that up to a buzzer with the switch on and shut it off unitl I swap it. Perhaps a strain gauge under the keg hooked up to a controller to take an average reading over time could work to prevent false positves from bouncing up and down. I really don’t need another project right now though.