• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 210 - 2017 Check engine light and loss of power on Port engine

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Happy 4th everyone!!I have an issue and can't find answers.

I've called my dealer but haven't heard back and not a fan of them.

My port engine maxes at at 5,000 RPM even at full throttle. This last trip after sitting all day and listening to music my battery died, bt I had a spare and jumper cables to crank it (can't be too cautious) . The check engine light came on as well and gives the infamous code YDIS -1 which I can not find anywhere.

Last year this happened and the deal said it was in the inboard propeller that was damaged and not providing the thrust which caused the engine to over heat. I checked the propellers and they are in excellent condition. I picked the boat up from the same dealer I used to winterize and do a spring start up. from the first outing I had no power and some smoke from the port engine. I assumed it was excess oil burn off from a sloppy oil change.

My Questions are:

1- Has anyone had the lack of power issue in one of the engines and if so what did you do to fix it? (all propellers are cleared and intakes cleaned out)

2 - Anyone know what the YDIS 1 code is for Check engine light?

Appreciate all the help

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What year is your boat? If you are throwing a code, the ECM is likely limiting max RPM to protect the engine. Is the code you are getting through YDS on a laptop or are you a newer boat with connext displaying that?

Since you mention overheat, are you getting a pee stream? Does it have the problem immediately when starting or after the engine heats up?

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What year is your boat? If you are throwing a code, the ECM is likely limiting max RPM to protect the engine. Is the code you are getting through YDS on a laptop or are you a newer boat with connext displaying that?

Since you mention overheat, are you getting a pee stream? Does it have the problem immediately when starting or after the engine heats up?
Sorry just getting back to this. It'ss a 2017 and it shows the code on the dashboard. I didn't even check for pee stream. the issue happened 2 Friday's ago and I haven't been able to get ahold of the dealer so it is in my drive way right now. Will I get a pee stream if I connect the house to it and crank the engine?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will depend a bit on your water pressure when you are at idle. I usually have to rev the engine a little to get water to spit out. It will not be a steady stream like on the lake.

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After a full diagnostic today, I have good streams out of both holes and the engine light is not on. however when I rev the engine it starts to smoke on the port engine. When I checked the oil it is watery. make me think its over full or has gas/water leaking in.

Would it make sense to drain oil and re do it? also looking for a how to to change air filter. Thanks,

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water in your oil would be reason for concern. Everyone refers to it as “milkshake oil” is the oil really light/milky? It is sounding like you may definitely want to extract and analyze the oil to confirm anything abnormal. In your shoes, I would extract oil and just run compressions to check rings, valves and block integrity.

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you - I did siphon the oil and it is mixed with fuel. How do I do a compression cehck? I appreciate all the help.

It's unfortunate that we are all stuck at home during this COVID crap and this is the perfect boat season in MN yet my baby is sidelined :(

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay, so fuel in the oil is likely better than water. There are a few things to consider, You may have an injector that is sticking open. Have you run any fuel system treatments regularly (like ringfree, Seafoam or Stabil)? You could also be missing spark, which is leaving a cylinder unburned, or possibly a stuck exhaust valve that is pumping fuel and oil out without a good burn due to lack of compression. Pulling plugs, inspecting and a compression check would help figure out which may be going on. Maybe some others will chime in with thoughts as well.

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
**UPDATE** I changed the plugs, pulled the oil/gas mix out of the oil and she is running at Peak performance!!! took it to a buddies on Lake Vermillion and opened her right up. She ran at full RPM's and had no smoke and no issues. Thank you for all the input.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is great! They can be very sensitive to spark plugs which is why so many (including me) change them every season or at least every other season. Did any of the spark plugs look different? Cylinder 3 is usually the one that causes people problems.

Matthew Sawicki

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes - both engines, Cylinder 3 looked burned-out - My port engine had all three plugs in bad shape (only 30 hrs on the engine), and Stbd side only cylinder 3. They literally take minutes to change out on each side so I stocked up for next year as well. I'm just happy my baby is healthy and running at top speed again.

Dave berry

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have owned 3 boats all yam to many problems dealer no help even with warr no more yam bought cobalt with mer out board just great boat and motor