• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 210 vs 19 footers

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Do you store yours outside covered up or do you have a garage big enough to store it?
I store it in my garage. My old garage was 20 x 22 with a 7’ door. The 7’ door was the problem with the 21‘ers. Now I have a 8’ door, just inches too short for the 240.

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
How important is the wake tower? We can garage up to an SX210, the collapsed height on the AR210 is an inch or two tall. We are towing with a 5K rated vehicle with AWD. Scrap the tower and go with the SX210, or have a tower on the smaller AR190? We will be tubing mostly. The boat will be used in smaller lakes/calm waters. 2 adults, 2 kids under 5.

Major resale difference between the two?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How important is the wake tower? We can garage up to an SX210, the collapsed height on the AR210 is an inch or two tall. We are towing with a 5K rated vehicle with AWD. Scrap the tower and go with the SX210, or have a tower on the smaller AR190? We will be tubing mostly. The boat will be used in smaller lakes/calm waters. 2 adults, 2 kids under 5.

Major resale difference between the two?
If you can fit an SX210 you can fit an AR210. You can extend the cables or remove them. So the answer is get an AR210.

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
If you can fit an SX210 you can fit an AR210. You can extend the cables or remove them. So the answer is get an AR210.
Sorry what do you mean by extending/removing the cables? Yamaha's site says the collapsed AR210 on trailer is at 7'10.7". We have about 7'10" max door height.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Sorry what do you mean by extending/removing the cables? Yamaha's site says the collapsed AR210 on trailer is at 7'10.7". We have about 7'10" max door height.

Same cables as the 19’ers. You can easily fit it. My advice is get the tower. However if you really don’t want it get the SX210 over any 19’ in my opinion. Keep in mind I owned a SX190, an AR195, and now a 212S.

Last edited:

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Same cables as the 19’ers. You can easily fit it. My advice is get the tower. However if you really don’t want it get the SX210 over any 19’ in my opinion. Keep in mind I owned a SX190, an AR195, and now a 212S.
Yeah overall advice seems to go bigger if able. I'm leaning the AR210. Anyway to be sure how low the AR210 collapsed tower height can go? Has anyone measured the AR210 height with the bolts or cables adjusted?

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It will go as low as a SX210, as the window will be higher than the tower.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yeah overall advice seems to go bigger if able. I'm leaning the AR210. Anyway to be sure how low the AR210 collapsed tower height can go? Has anyone measured the AR210 height with the bolts or cables adjusted?
If you can, go with the twin engines, big performance increase. And the tower is a must have item for us - we would never buy a new boat without one as they're a solid place for the bimini, and work as safe grab points too, and I think they look great.
:D
As mentioned, the tower cables can be extended lower so if the SX model fits with the height of the windshield, the AR210 will fit too.

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
If you can, go with the twin engines, big performance increase. And the tower is a must have item for us - we would never buy a new boat without one as they're a solid place for the bimini, and work as safe grab points too, and I think they look great.
As mentioned, the tower cables can be extended lower so if the SX model fits with the height of the windshield, the AR210 will fit too.
Thanks, based on the feedback we’re heavily leaning towards the AR210. But one last question, should we be worried towing with a 5K rated VW Atlas V6 AWD? The AR210 dry weight with trailer is 4226 lbs, with a full tank of gas and some gear approx ~4700 lbs. Too close for comfort?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks, based on the feedback we’re heavily leaning towards the AR210. But one last question, should we be worried towing with a 5K rated VW Atlas V6 AWD? The AR210 dry weight with trailer is 4226 lbs, with a full tank of gas and some gear approx ~4700 lbs. Too close for comfort?
I personally would most definitely not tow an AR210 with that vehicle, unless it was just to go a few miles on flat land down to the ramp and back.

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Here are the actual numbers:

Our Max Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is 10219 lbs. per user manual.

BOAT
Boat/trailer dry - 4224
Full tank in the boat - 315
Total tow weight - 4539 lbs (gear goes in vehicle)

VEHICLE
Curb weight with full tank gas - 4614
People onboard combined weight - 420
All gear including food/boating supply - 400
Total Vehicle Weight - 5434 lbs

Vehicle and Tow combined weight - 9973 lbs

10219 - 9973 = only ~246 lbs buffer

I agree that it’s not a comfortable cushion. Especially if traveling up to 75 mile distances.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Here are the actual numbers:

Our Max Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is 10219 lbs. per user manual.

BOAT
Boat/trailer dry - 4224
Full tank in the boat - 315
Total tow weight - 4539 lbs (gear goes in vehicle)

VEHICLE
Curb weight with full tank gas - 4614
People onboard combined weight - 420
All gear including food/boating supply - 400
Total Vehicle Weight - 5434 lbs

Vehicle and Tow combined weight - 9973 lbs

10219 - 9973 = only ~246 lbs buffer

I agree that it’s not a comfortable cushion. Especially if traveling up to 75 mile distances.
Anchor and a second battery will take up all of your buffer....lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Towing shouldn't just be about "Will this tow my boat to the ramp?", it also needs to be about safety for you as well as others on the road. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it is the best/safest choice.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks, based on the feedback we’re heavily leaning towards the AR210.
Nice decision...the tower is well worth it to us.
But one last question, should we be worried towing with a 5K rated VW Atlas V6 AWD? The AR210 dry weight with trailer is 4226 lbs, with a full tank of gas and some gear approx ~4700 lbs. Too close for comfort?
Depends on your towing situation, distance, traffic, experience, etc. Towing limits are based on actual capability of the vehicle, so if you're under the capacity limits then towing is legal and can be done safely. But the closer you are to the limit, the more cautious you need to be of your situation and surroundings. If you're worried and don't feel comfortable, don't do it. If you're comfy and sensible, shouldn't be an issue.

Your vehicle is similar to mine, and I tow my 212s with an SUV with 5k capacity. Boat and trailer weighs in at 4900 lbs with full tank so yeah it's up there. But I only need to tow less than 30 mins to three ramps in my area, and an hour to several others. I can feel it back there, but I'm not concerned as the trailer brakes work well (tested in an empty parking lot under heavy braking and maneuvering conditions as I learned to do years ago) and she handles great. I'm completely legal by being within capacity and have years of trailering experience, so I have no issue towing it. Having said that, I don't think my SUV was built for towing as much as for comfort, so the rear suspension is soft and sloppy, and towing through mountains would be off my list as the drivetrain could do it but fuel mileage is aweful with a V6 - need the torque of a V8 really, especially if you load up the vehicle. Yet towing every weekend to the lakes and rivers in my area is not an issue at all. Towing 2 hours from time to time isn't a problem either, except for the hit to the wallet. I'll upgrade to a V8 pickup in the not too distant future as we want to camp and boat at the same time with one vehicle and the SUV isn't up for that total GVWR limit.

As others have mentioned, you can buy the boat you really want now, and upgrade your tow vehicle later as boats can last for decades. That's what we decided to do and we love our boat so we're really happy we didn't compromise over the tow vehicle.

Here's a funny anecdote...was pulling the boat out of the water one day and a couple walking by stopped to watch and I heard the guy say, "that's a big boat for that SUV"...I chuckled to myself. As we started to clean and prep for departure, I walked back and said to the guy, "she looks big, but the little jet engines makes her lighter than she looks" and the guy stared in disbelief not realizing Yamaha makes jetboats as well as jetskis. Yeah a wide body high freeboard 21ft inboard would probably weigh another 800 lbs or more and would be too much. Way to go Yamaha.

orionone

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Nice decision...the tower is well worth it to us.

Depends on your towing situation, distance, traffic, experience, etc. Towing limits are based on actual capability of the vehicle, so if you're under the capacity limits then towing is legal and can be done safely. But the closer you are to the limit, the more cautious you need to be of your situation and surroundings. If you're worried and don't feel comfortable, don't do it. If you're comfy and sensible, shouldn't be an issue.

Your vehicle is similar to mine, and I tow my 212s with an SUV with 5k capacity. Boat and trailer weighs in at 4900 lbs with full tank so yeah it's up there. But I only need to tow less than 30 mins to three ramps in my area, and an hour to several others. I can feel it back there, but I'm not concerned as the trailer brakes work well (tested in an empty parking lot under heavy braking and maneuvering conditions as I learned to do years ago) and she handles great. I'm completely legal by being within capacity and have years of trailering experience, so I have no issue towing it. Having said that, I don't think my SUV was built for towing as much as for comfort, so the rear suspension is soft and sloppy, and towing through mountains would be off my list as the drivetrain could do it but fuel mileage is aweful with a V6 - need the torque of a V8 really, especially if you load up the vehicle. Yet towing every weekend to the lakes and rivers in my area is not an issue at all. Towing 2 hours from time to time isn't a problem either, except for the hit to the wallet. I'll upgrade to a V8 pickup in the not too distant future as we want to camp and boat at the same time with one vehicle and the SUV isn't up for that total GVWR limit.

As others have mentioned, you can buy the boat you really want now, and upgrade your tow vehicle later as boats can last for decades. That's what we decided to do and we love our boat so we're really happy we didn't compromise over the tow vehicle.

Here's a funny anecdote...was pulling the boat out of the water one day and a couple walking by stopped to watch and I heard the guy say, "that's a big boat for that SUV"...I chuckled to myself. As we started to clean and prep for departure, I walked back and said to the guy, "she looks big, but the little jet engines makes her lighter than she looks" and the guy stared in disbelief not realizing Yamaha makes jetboats as well as jetskis. Yeah a wide body high freeboard 21ft inboard would probably weigh another 800 lbs or more and would be too much. Way to go Yamaha.
Thanks for the reply! May I ask what kind of SUV you are towing with? Does it have AWD? Tow package? What’s worse for me is that I’m in a mountainous area and at 3K elevation. The N/A V6 has to work even harder on hills. However, the AWD is nice!

Great story! Lol, I would have been sweating not having much towing experience.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
following this thread.... we are at the beginnings of looking. Debating between a 19' or 21'. 24' would be nice, but I think more than we would need (at the moment). We have a Volvo XC90 T6 engine. Supercharged, turbo charged inline 4. Towing capacity is 5,000 if the trailer has brakes and max tongue weight of 500. Seems like we would be fine.

When we get a boat, it will be docked at our lake house. Only time it will be out, will be for service, or winterizing. And I am not sure if we would drag the boat home to be in a garage (2.5 hours), or leave at lake house outside, less than 5 min. drive to ramp.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply! May I ask what kind of SUV you are towing with? Does it have AWD? Tow package?
Kia Sorento V6 AWD with the tow package (tranny cooler).
What’s worse for me is that I’m in a mountainous area and at 3K elevation. The N/A V6 has to work even harder on hills. However, the AWD is nice!
That might make it struggle a bit more. In those conditions, I'd probably be looking at an upgrade to a stronger tow vehicle.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
following this thread.... we are at the beginnings of looking. Debating between a 19' or 21'. 24' would be nice, but I think more than we would need (at the moment). We have a Volvo XC90 T6 engine. Supercharged, turbo charged inline 4.
The inline 4 will really suck the fuel as the chargers will both be spinning hard to develop power...other than that it should be fine. A few SUV's have 4 cyl engines and ratings up to 7700lbs.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@orionone

We tow our AR210 with a '14 Acura MDX SH-AWD. Handles it like a champ. Acura's AWD is one of the best out there with wheel differential distribution, can't speak for VW's, but it's fine. One thing I would highly recommend is upgrading the factory trans-cooler. Make sure you have one, but I'd assume with 5k towing (like ours), it has one, just upgrade it. I bought the most high-end I could install on it, because I knew we'd use it for towing. Don't go cheap here or try to cut corners. Another recommendation is that a lot of aftermarket trans coolers can be installed with the factory as well ... so you'll have two.

Height question... if it's that close to fitting in the garage, you could also deflate the tires a little to lower the boat as well. Not sure about your tire size, but you could shave off a decent amount.