• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190/AR190/SX192/AR192 Stereo Upgrade

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
d_coyne1984; 1st off, I've got to say awesome job on the tower speaker DIY!

As to your question about the free air subs and the fiberglass, I personally like my sub placement and look, but I'd imagine that a sealed box would outperform my setup. I have not had any issue with the fiberglass cracking, but I've only had the sub installed for 1 season. I plan on adding another sub in the near future. Just to optimize my amp's power output. (4ohms to 2 ohms) Not 100 on where I'd place it or if it'll be free air or not.

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been seeing SX190 owners ask about adding speakers on the back swim deck, so...

Attachments

Christopher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are those 6.5" speakers you out in the transom?

Christopher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What head unit did you go with? Any issues wiring the remotes. I am planning on doing an upgrade soon. Swap head units, change out the factory speakers and add two more speaks on the stern.

Christopher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking about doing the same. How do you like the setup? Is there anything you would change if you had to do it again?

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What head unit did you go with? Any issues wiring the remotes. I am planning on doing an upgrade soon. Swap head units, change out the factory speakers and add two more speaks on the stern.
I went with the Clarion M303 mated to the MF1-R wired remote kit. (the "R" is for the kit that comes with a 25' cord) I'm sure they probably have something new and improved by now. I had my local stereo shop put it in. I do know the stereo and remote are plug and play. If I wanted an additional wired remote, I'd need a splitter.

I really like my set up. I do have limitations though. The factory radio only has 4 pre amp outputs and the Bluetooth sometimes looses connection.

If I could do it again, I'd relocate the remote. I bump it a lot right in the center. I'd probably move it to the ladder side, with the remote facing starboard.

Christopher

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking about the transom remote. I wasn't sure about the center mount location.

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Be sure to post pictures of your progress!

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@riderP - couple of questions, i was thinking about almost identical set up. The Alpines 7" on the transom but i am worried about the large amounts of water that rushes up and would potentially flood the speakers. Ever had any issues with that happening or dependability of the Alpine?

riderP

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jwiley I haven't had any problems with the alpines and they are scores ahead of the stockers. I don't believe 7" speakers will fit back there where I have mine.

Skyler Yelton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is my setup on my AR192

2x Fusion bullet style tower speakers
10" Fusion sub
Fusion 1600w 5 channel amp
Factory Polk 6 1/2"'s
Factory (crappy) Clarion head unit

Originally I installed the sub as free air in the helm console wall. I have never been happy with the bass output either. Today I put the sub in a sealed box and it made a HUGE difference!! Without any adjustments to the amp. So I'll be covering that hole with a custom speaker grill soon. I think it will look fine.

Next investment will be a new head unit.
What batteries are you using? I am getting ready to do a similar install(around 1500 watt peak) and I am trying to decide what batteries to add. Anybody have suggestions?

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 1 Optima "yellow top" battery wired to the amp and that's it. The original house battery is still in place for the engine, etc. I hook the Optima up to a battery charger each night at the house. The positive from the Optima goes directly to the amp, the negative bridges to the house negative so everything has a common ground. Very simple and cost effective.

Skyler Yelton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 1 Optima "yellow top" battery wired to the amp and that's it. The original house battery is still in place for the engine, etc. I hook the Optima up to a battery charger each night at the house. The positive from the Optima goes directly to the amp, the negative bridges to the house negative so everything has a common ground. Very simple and cost effective.
And you don't have any issues with that draining the battery? I am adding a 80x4 to the stocks, a 185x4 to 4 tower speakers, and a 750x1 to a 12" sub and I am being told that I will need a lot more battery. I was looking at getting 2 200 amp hour batteries and seeing if that will be sufficient to run the whole stereo system. Those will be 300+ a piece. Do you think I need that much?

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And you don't have any issues with that draining the battery? I am adding a 80x4 to the stocks, a 185x4 to 4 tower speakers, and a 750x1 to a 12" sub and I am being told that I will need a lot more battery. I was looking at getting 2 200 amp hour batteries and seeing if that will be sufficient to run the whole stereo system. Those will be 300+ a piece. Do you think I need that much?
You may with that many different amps. I have 1 5 channel amp running it all. Factory stock speakers are bridged on the "front" channels of the amp, tower speakers are wired to the "back" channels, and then the sub to sub out. Last Saturday we ran the entire system, LOUDLY (party cove.... you know how it goes), for about 6 hours straight and never had a problem (mainly rap with a lot of bass too).

Skyler Yelton

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You may with that many different amps. I have 1 5 channel amp running it all. Factory stock speakers are bridged on the "front" channels of the amp, tower speakers are wired to the "back" channels, and then the sub to sub out. Last Saturday we ran the entire system, LOUDLY (party cove.... you know how it goes), for about 6 hours straight and never had a problem (mainly rap with a lot of bass too).
That's pretty impressive. Did you run it much to charge it?

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's pretty impressive. Did you run it much to charge it?
No, the Optima is not connected to the engine at all (well, except the ground). I have to charge it every night when we get home.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went with the EXIDE Deep Cycle 27MDCST... It has 182 Reserve Capacity and 105 AmpHours. And for $79.99 at Tractor Supply plus EXIDE is currently offering $10 rebate... couldn't beat it.

Jwiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speaking of adding speakers to the rear/aft/transom whatever you want to call it... I noticed that the 2x212 has a smaller backrest with the speakers mounted in the corner of the seat... Anyone know if the sx212 seat would fit on our 190 boats? if they fit, then we can have rear facing speakers also without cutting holes next to the water line.

AdamB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
This is my setup on my AR192

2x Fusion bullet style tower speakers
10" Fusion sub
Fusion 1600w 5 channel amp
Factory Polk 6 1/2"'s
Factory (crappy) Clarion head unit

Originally I installed the sub as free air in the helm console wall. I have never been happy with the bass output either. Today I put the sub in a sealed box and it made a HUGE difference!! Without any adjustments to the amp. So I'll be covering that hole with a custom speaker grill soon. I think it will look fine.

Next investment will be a new head unit.
Where did you buy the cable gland for going through the hull? I see them on amazon but they look like the threads are not long enough to get through the hull. how thick is the hull?