• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX190 Vs SX192

VIPERGFX

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Guys,
I am wanted to get a 2014 sx192 but I am leaning to a sx190 now due to availability & price.
I do like all the little upgrades the 192 offers, especially the black framed glass, but the grey color is killing me. I really wish they would color them alike or offer a third color. It just seems that the grey is a little dull for this boat.

Performance wise.
Do you thing the speed, torque difference (43mph vs 49mph) would be a big deal? I have not been on a boat in 20 years so I don't know what fast is. I'm afraid I may wish for more top end if I get the 190.

Is it possible to put retractable cleats on the 190?

What should I expect to pay for a 2014 sx190 now that the 15s are coming?

Thanks!!

Mike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The only down side IMO of the 192 is the fuel consumption...my best cruise was at 26 mph @6000rpm burning about 10gph. Fastest 50.1 mph (GPS) @7400rpm +/- burning 30gph+... everthing else ( trim/radio/cup holder/cleats ect.. ) is better than the 190 and yes it is possible to put retractable cleats in the 190 as far as pricing the best deals are usually at a boat show. A good deal is MSRP out the door any cheaper is a steal.
Best of luck!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my 190, and I've had a fair few different boats in my time.

The two big differences I can see from a 190 to 192 is hole shot, a nice plus, and fuel consumption, a big minus. Most boats run between 40-50 mph, 190 owners have been quoting maxing out 42, 45, 47 mph etc, only real advantage to a supercharged is your elevation, do need forced induction?

I thought, yea, I'd like flush cleats, but in reality is it really worth laying out more bucks just for some trendy cleats? I find the 190 perfectly acceptable for my boating needs, I would like a 212, but I'll upgrade after I've had my use out of my 190 and I know a jet boat is for me.

If your running with 5/6 plus adults most of the time, well then I would contenplate a supercharged 19 footer, but with an average family at average weight levels a 190 will do exactly as it says on the tin!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A 190 is cheap to buy and cheap to run. A 192 costs more to buy and twice as much to run.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For the money, why not get a 210 vs a 192? Sure, the 192 seems peppy, but it is a fuel hog compared to the 190. It even burns about 75% of what my boat burns at WOT! And my 240 does 53 at WOT! My cruise numbers are better too, matter of fact, all the boats get better economy at cruise than does the 192
. The 210 will have performance like the 190, but it will give you tons more room for mods and family/friends. Be sure to study the numbers... Here is a .doc showing the numbers between the 190 and 192 and my own narrative and opinion. And it was written for 2013 so the pricing numbers on it are old. Also a speed comparison chart from boatest.com on the other models. Not saying the 192 isn't a great boat, but the operating costs are very different in it than any other model Yamaha.

Attachments

VIPERGFX

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply's!
I agree the fuel is not so good, I do like all of the added options and upgrades so even if I did get the 190 I may spend more change on getting the options.
Also the supercharged sticker and knowing it's supercharged, the hole shot, etc, just appeals to my Alpha Male brain, It's just hard to let it go!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get you, its the head over heart scenario. Many a time this comes into our life decisions, and it did with my 190 purchase and my heart now agrees with the head.

Overall though, if there was a significant gain from the Supercharger the fuel, price increase etc wouldn't be an issue, but there isn't.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply's!
I agree the fuel is not so good, I do like all of the added options and upgrades so even if I did get the 190 I may spend more change on getting the options.
Also the supercharged sticker and knowing it's supercharged, the hole shot, etc, just appeals to my Alpha Male brain, It's just hard to let it go!
Being you have been away from boating for the last 20 years, if you are anything like me, you know when you want that extra throttle and it is not there you get mad about it. I am certain the 190 is plenty sufficient for us who are used to days of old... I am willing to bet that back then you did most of your cruising at 25 mph and you will still do just that. Running WOT everywhere is fun at times but it is $$$ no matter what boat you do it in. I have opted fro the 192 over the 190 for finish items and goodies from one vs. the other. Fuel is really negligible when you really stop and think about it. I have talked to several owners as well as looked into other boats etc. and the 192 is right on par with just about everything else out there with twice the speed. Sure they will keep up with most jet ski's but even those little things burn through the fuel. The best advice I ever discovered was always go for max HP on a boat that you can. It will pay off when you really have a load and still want to be able to cruise, sure you will loose top speed but not by enough to cry about and the other side of things is one day you will decide to upgrade and that 192 will be a lot more inciting to someone vs. the 190. Good luck!

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I went with a 192 over a 190 not so much for the added power, but for all the other upgrades. Better stereo, cup holders, cleats, carpet, hydro turf on the lower deck, and probably the biggest for me was the 192 came with surge brakes on the trailer where as the 190 did not. Since I mostly tow with a mid size SUV that would help a lot with wear on my vehicle.

Flsupraguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seems like very low and very high range is best for the supercharged but mid range power is about the same?

Can a base /ar190 tow a tube plus 8 people on board?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems like very low and very high range is best for the supercharged but mid range power is about the same?

Can a base /ar190 tow a tube plus 8 people on board?
I would think it can, however I've had a max of 5 aboard mine and pulled a tube, so I have no direct experience. It pulled with power to spare in that situation though, so I wouldn't expect any problems.

8 adults will be crowded on an AR190 for any length of time beyond a "ferry" type situation where you are just transporting people from one place to another (party at the sandbar type deal). 8 adults for an entire day would be more hassle than relax I would think. I had 8 on my old Rinker 182, and while it was a shade smaller on interior space, it was far too crowded for a full day of fun. We were tired of being so close to one another by about 2-3hrs into the 7hr day on the water.