• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sx195 power loss

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@ScottS Thanks for your message!
Planning on changing my plugs this weekend. I have the round plug gapper. So even though it's not super accurate I'll make sure all four plugs have about the same gap.
Where would you apply silicone in the intake? I've just changed my air filter. What do you call tunnel?
I believe he’s referring to sealing all the crevices in front of the impeller also referred to as the tunnel/intake for the jet pump. Smoothing this section decreases cavitation.

sebmcadet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks for your response guys.
I did read your long thread, and it sounds like I've got plenty of room for further improvement.
However, here is where I stand:

1. A month ago my engine would go above 7000rpm. Now it often settles around 6600rpm
2. After running at WOT for 30-40min my pisser temp is hot but not scalding. I don't suspect heat soak but I can't be 100% sure.
3. I've removed a little bit of oil, changed the plugs, tightened the throttle cable this weekend.
Right out the gate (cold engine, water temp 82-83F) I almost hit 7000rpm (more like 6900).
When tubing I would hit 6600.
After an hour it would not go over 6600rpm -- Unless turning right (leaning on starboard side) and I would gain 200rpm! => Could this be a injection issue?? (Injection is on the starboard side)

I don't feel it runs terribly wrong, it's just frustrating that it doesn't seem to run perfectly (it's > 5yrs old, but only has 170hrs!!!)

Let me know your thoughts.

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@sebmcadet I am not an expert by any means. Take this with a grain of salt.

1 & 2 - I attribute to warm weather and warm water. I'll bet in the next month or two as temps start to fall you see your RPM's rise back up. After an hour or so, your engine is up to temp, depending on load and use you may be getting the temperatures into the performance limited mode. There is no warning sent to the dash when it enters this limited mode that I am aware of and usually running the engine at no-wake speeds for a little bit can cool the engine and help you regain performance. But with water in the 80's and Air temps likely above that, it doesn't surprise me that you are hovering in the 6000's.

3 - Less confident on this, but I wonder if when you are turning right you are loading the pump differently and it is able to pull water with less turbulence. This may be related to the need to check the sealing of the intake tunnel. If one side of the tunnel has a better seal than the other, perhaps when the pump loads differently the water is flowing with more or less turbulence.

—Яiвs>

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@sebmcadet I am not an expert by any means. Take this with a grain of salt.

1 & 2 - I attribute to warm weather and warm water. I'll bet in the next month or two as temps start to fall you see your RPM's rise back up. After an hour or so, your engine is up to temp, depending on load and use you may be getting the temperatures into the performance limited mode. There is no warning sent to the dash when it enters this limited mode that I am aware of and usually running the engine at no-wake speeds for a little bit can cool the engine and help you regain performance. But with water in the 80's and Air temps likely above that, it doesn't surprise me that you are hovering in the 6000's.

3 - Less confident on this, but I wonder if when you are turning right you are loading the pump differently and it is able to pull water with less turbulence. This may be related to the need to check the sealing of the intake tunnel. If one side of the tunnel has a better seal than the other, perhaps when the pump loads differently the water is flowing with more or less turbulence.
He might be into something here, perhaps a short jog in no wake to clear out some heat and a retest would yield some kind of result. I did find a cooling upgrade kit for our SVHO and a thermostat delete on GreenHulk seems with any performance mod you want to keep cool. If we are surfing, boarding or running WOT across the lake still generating a descent amount of heat with water temps in the 80s might just need a breather.

sebmcadet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thanks @ScottS and @—Яiвs> for your replies.
I think I'm feeling a bit better about the whole power loss thing. It did happen the first time during a very warm weekend at sea with water temperature as high as it can get at the end of the summer.
I had found plenty of posts from 1-2 years ago about the SHVO upgrade for $200-$300. These parts are now 10x more expensive. So that will have to wait.
I'll look into the intake tunnel and see what can be improved next.
And lastly I will keep in mind to run the engine at no-wake speed more often :)

ScottS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@sebmcadet You are in an SX195 correct? The 195's are already an SVHO, so I am curious about which upgrade you are considering.

sebmcadet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
No, AR192. I have an SHO IC.