• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sx230 ignition switch help

Captn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had one of my ignition switches break and would like to replace with push button start and stop. My ideal setup would be one key to turn both motors to on then a sperate push button for port motor start and stop and a different button for starboard start and stop. Is this possible? I am not knowledgeable about electrical components. So need some help from you geniuses.
Thanks

Yes I remember that but not sure if it would work with what I am looking for. I have read through those threads but not smart enough to figure out how to apply it without some help

You need a DPST (Dual Pole Single Throw, So you can turn one switch and activate both sides independently) key switch. What you also want to remember is to keep the 2 systems isolated from each other. Don't connect both computers to each other.

You can use your dual pole, dual throw switch to simulate ON behavior, and get your 4 push buttons. Two simulate start, and two simulate stop. One for each engine.

You want to ensure you can power off each engine independently. You don't know when you need to run on one engine and shut down only engine X leaving engine Y running.

Otherwise, you can indeed come up with any creative combinations. Just adhering to the diagram on that post. (If you want both engines to be powered off, you might instead use a simple On-Off Key (known as SPST = single pole, single throw) and then wire it to 2 relays that have both Open and Closed poles, which will allow you to wire ON and Off options in the wiring diagram for each engine independently, but acting from the same key, then you can add start and stop buttons in addition. )

I suggest if you are not familiar with how relays work, look into that a little bit and look at that wiring diagram I linked to. I think the questions you might have are answered in those 2 topics. In any case, because of some troubleshooting I've had to do with the neutral switch and the hatch switches, I've learned the electrical system that shuts the boat off and keeps it from running is actually quite simple. Your project is quite doable once you figure out what you want, and then figure out the right parts to make it happen.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If it was me I'd consider these parts...

Relays (need 2)

Key: (Just the one)

Push buttons (Black, Red or Silver) Need 4, two to start each engine separate, and 2 to stop each engine separately.

Anything that causes the desired behavior will work. This is just an idea on how to make it happen, I'm certain there are many many ways to make it happen.

Best of Luck!

Back