• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

T-Handle Latch Replacement

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure if it's my year boat or something else.

2007 AR 210. The T-Handle on my anchor locker completely broke off. I ordered a new one from Overton's. One customer review even stated he used this one to replace in his Yamaha Jetboat. Good to go.

So the new T-Handle Latch came in. Took the old one off and went to put the new one in. Won't go through the hole. It's the width of the threads keeping it from going though. I even tried to screw it in, but it's too tight.

Compared it to the one I took off. The top (face) match at 3 inches. On the new one ,the base (threads) are 2 1/2 inches. The OEM is not 2 1/2 inch base, but slightly less (poss 2 3/8).

Thinking it might just be the anchor locker, I pulled the T-Handle Latch off my floor storage to replace it there. Same results.

Called Overton's and that's the only size they have. I've searched Overton's, iboats, and some others with no luck. Did find one T-Handle latch with 2 3/8 base, but out of stock. Not really wanting to pay the cost and shipping charge for Yamaha Sports Plaza (although I'm sure that would fit).

Why am I having a hard time finding a replacement? Has anyone else replaced theirs?

Also, I've already read this thread and did not find a match. https://jetboaters.net/threads/latch-replacement-piece.3335/

That's why I was wondering if it was my year. @itsdgm have you replaced yours?

Adding pics so y'all don't think I'm crazy.

Broken handle

20150607_121724.jpg

Same size

20150607_121716.jpg

Not the same base size

20150607_121810.jpg

New one won't fit

20150607_121824.jpg

Old one no problem

20150607_121853.jpg

Last edited:

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have two original latches I took off of the floor lockers in my 08 sx210. I'd be happy to send them your way for the shipping costs plus a couple bucks. Conversation me if you are interested and I will measure them when I am back home.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ToddW850 no I haven't had to replace any handles on mine. I was going to suggest trying to use the base from the broken one and put the new mechanics into the old base. But going with @jawsf16 's replacement ones might be the best idea.

PS, I wonder what make and model jaws got with the key option. If those keyed ones worked, yould think that a non keyed one would be available in the correct size too.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes @itsdgm I failed to mention I tried to take the insides out of the OEM Latch but wasn't exactly sure the process. Might just be stuck. But I took the bottom black plastic cover off and tried to unscrew it, but it wouldn't budge.

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Why not just enlarge the hole?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've replaced almost all of my latches with locking ones from Great Lakes skipper. There are two to three manufactures of such handles as I recall. Some also come with remove able sleeves to increase / decrease the width. Another source for the eom handle is yamaha sports plaza where your can specify the part by number according to the year and model of your boat. Good luck.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @Ronnie. Yamaha Sports Plaza has them for $35, but that is only the top piece (according to their diagram). The bottom piece is more. But I really only need the top.

And @Glassman and @Englewoodcowboy the thought did cross my mind using a dremel to make the opening bigger. But I started to worry about any kind of permanent damage I may do. Looks like wood on the inside of the hole. Is that stuff coated with any kind of protection? If I dremel it, will it cause damage or will it allow water to get in and then cause further damage? This very well may be the option I go with now. If I do, should I coat it with something after?

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would think at the age of it it should be a polyester type material, not wood but you never know till you get in there. Now if it is wood, all you need is to get a small can of resin and hardener and a throw away chip brush and some acetone for cleanup. Mix the resin to hardener and paint the edges of the wood with it, 2 coats should be enough. Let it dry (about a half hour then install your part. Use the acetone to wipe up any excess. If it is all glass which I think it would be, then there is nothing needed to be done. If it is wood and it looks very dry, you can do a single "Hot coat" which is the resin, hardener and acetone to thin. You will use a little more hardener with the acetone. It makes it very thin and the wood will soak in in very fast, then follow up with a regular coat or two of just resin and hardener.

Top Bottom