• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on Water

Keith Gray

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have a 2009 Yamaha 212ss. I had some problems with the cleanout plugs and you guys gave me some great advice a few weeks ago. They are working great now and I bought the locks that keep them in place. I do still have a broken t - handle that opens the hatch where the plugs are and just have not had time to replace it. but meanwhile I am taking on water. I have had the guys at our Marina take a look at it and they can not figure out where it is coming from. My bilge will pump it out but I am constantly pumping out water going down the river - a little scary.
Does anyone have any ideas or have a similar experience ? Could water somehow be coming into where my t-handle is broken and making its way in ? That doesn't seem likely as it is quite a bit of water fairly quickly!
Help anyone!!

Where is your scupper valve located at on your boat? If it is below the water line and still plastic I would bet that is it.

* Edit I just found a picture * It is below the water line.

Best way to find would be to fill the bilge area with water and see where it comes out at while on the trailer.

@Keith Gray. The easiest way to find the leak is to put your boat on your trailer. You will most likely see water leaking out where it is leaking in. It's likely it's the scupper valve or drain line attached to it. If so you don't want to play with it while in the water. If it comes apart on you you will end up with a 2 inch hole with water gushing in.

Does it leak when sitting or running is the water hot or cool? if hot look for broken clamps or hose issues if cold and leaking when sitting look for the places they told you and your intermediate bearing seals Also tape the kill switches for the rear hatch and see if the cleanout plugs have water coming in around the seals.

Another way to check your scupper is to put a block of wood under your tongue jack and then raise your tongue as high as you can. Then put in your drain plug and run 10 -15 gallons of water into your bilge from the garden hose. Check for leaks around your drain plug and scupper area. You can also spray some baby powder on the outside of the hull near these two spots and if they turn wet before you drain your hull, the baby powder will help you ID where.

Be aware if you fill the bilge with water while on the trailer you need to block the rear of the trailer or at least have it hooked up to your truck. (To prevent the tongue from going airborne)

Also keep an eye on the water level in your engine compartment.

You’ve gotten a lot responses, one more to say it is likely your scupper. I owned that same make and year, had to replace my scupper. Do it soon, mine was also just cracked till it broke while pulling it out, luckily no damage, but very scary!

While I agree the scupper is a big concern, as jeff said above, knowing if the water is warm or lake temp. will help you decide if it's a engine/clamp issue, if you're constantly pumping water while underway I would also suspect a cooling line leak, take some time and put it in the water without the engine running tied to the dock and see if the bilge comes on,

be sure to look at the link in my signature below for common issues found with your boat,

Back