• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Taking on water

danielcasey01

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Everyone--
I own a 2008 SX 230. Yesterday, while teaching my youngest how to operate the boat, he got into a little trouble as he did not use enough power to navigate a turn. As we were headed toward the bank, he put the boat into a "hard" reverse which prevented us from running a ground. After that, the engines ran rough and we had to get an assist from SeaTow to get back to our marina. Got the boat tied up and left for the night figuring I would deal with this sometime in the next couple of days. Early this morning, the marina called and said the boat almost sank as it was taking on water. A friend of mine at our marina (he has a 2016 Yamaha) told me he thinks the problem is with the "scupper valve"? We put the boat back in the water and you could hear water rushing in, with the engine cover open. Boat was only in the water for 5-10 minutes and, when the pulled it back out, a tremendous amount of water was rushing out of the plug hole. When this first happened, yesterday, I though it was probably the clean out plugs but they were in and secure. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dan

Hi Everyone--
I own a 2008 SX 230. Yesterday, while teaching my youngest how to operate the boat, he got into a little trouble as he did not use enough power to navigate a turn. As we were headed toward the bank, he put the boat into a "hard" reverse which prevented us from running a ground. After that, the engines ran rough and we had to get an assist from SeaTow to get back to our marina. Got the boat tied up and left for the night figuring I would deal with this sometime in the next couple of days. Early this morning, the marina called and said the boat almost sank as it was taking on water. A friend of mine at our marina (he has a 2016 Yamaha) told me he thinks the problem is with the "scupper valve"? We put the boat back in the water and you could hear water rushing in, with the engine cover open. Boat was only in the water for 5-10 minutes and, when the pulled it back out, a tremendous amount of water was rushing out of the plug hole. When this first happened, yesterday, I though it was probably the clean out plugs but they were in and secure. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dan
He's probably right, easy enough to find out!!

Although the leak could be coming from the scupper, I’m not sure how the scupper would relate to riding rough after putting her in reverse. Was there any water in the engine compartment?

Open the inspection port next to the clean out plugs under the hatch and shine a light down in there. You may be able to see it if exhaust parts are not in the way.

Could anything have happened while being towed if the intake hoses weren’t clamped? Maybe they were but thought it would be worth raising the question.

My guess is that the scupper valve has failed, the boat was running on plane but taking on water which was unnoticed. When reverse was applied and the boat stopped or slowed water shifted forward in the hull. The "engines running rough" was likely the perspective of having a hull full of water causing the boat to be sluggish. Worst case would be that the engines were sucking in some water.

It would be a good idea to check the oil to make sure it does not look milky.

Dan, I think it's your exhaust tube on the port side. This is the picture they took of the water dumping out of the port exhaust. You still have to pull the clean-out hatch and get a look around.
Good luck.
Andy
water draining.jpg

Dan, I think it's your exhaust tube on the port side. This is the picture they took of the water dumping out of the port exhaust. You still have to pull the clean-out hatch and get a look around.
Good luck.
Andy
View attachment 180425
That exhaust (water box) could have filled up from being towed....

Scupper looks in decent shape as does the drain plug.

I would plop it back in the water with the back hatch off and see if you can determine where the water is coming in.

On a different note, that anode looks like it might need to be replaced. (The pic could be deceiving though.) Just pointing this out so perhaps it can prevent other damage.

Hey Andy--
Yes, I am back!! Blew a couple of hose clamps off both engines and somehow the spark plugs got fouled. Pretty easy fix but my boat guy was so backed up, it took 2 weeks for him to get to it.
Thanks again for your help and checking in on me. Hope to see you, out on the water, soon.
Dan

Every Jet boater should have one of these in the engine compartment if you start taking on water you will know before it really gets swamped. Hang the sensor a few inches off the engine floor if it rings you have a problem and you can hear it clearly with the engines running.

Back