• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tell me about our "charging system"

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I never really understood how our 1.8s charge batteries. I have had great luck with my starting battery and dont know how the system works. Who can give me some insight on how it works

Short story.......The Stator is attached to the engine crank and spins around in a housing of magnets. This creates an AC current that is passed into the regulator/rectifier that converts it to a DC current. That DC current is then supplied over to the batteries to keep them charged. It's also used to power other things on the craft like engine controls, connext, etc.

This is in regards to a motorcycle engine, but our 1.8's are essentially marinized versions of this same premise:

Here's a cool video about Alternators:
The only difference between an alternator and a stator/generator is that an alternator has the magnetic fields artificially generated (they're electromagnets), instead of them being permanent magnets.

Just to add a little bit more...

Automobiles have a lot of room under the hood and are expected to be used for years and years and there is a duty cycle life to moving parts (alternators, water pumps, A/C, fuel pumps etc) so they make them as components that are easily replaced. PWC's and these Jet Boats (as well as motorcycles) have limited space so the charging system is located directly on the crank shaft by way of the flywheel which is bowl shaped and has magnets installed on the walls of the "bowl". A set of copper wire coils is attached to a "stator plate" which has a round hole in the center and is slid over the crankshaft end and bolted to the crank case. The Flywheel is placed on the crank and when seated, the Flywheel covers the coils with just a little bit of space between. When it spins under the power of the running engine it creates an electrical charge which is used to run the engine management, fire the spark plugs, charge the battery and run your other electrical components. This flywheel is covered by the front engine cover so there is nothing spinning out in the open on the PWC-JetBoat-Motorcycle engine.

Back