• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tell me about your Chevy Equinox

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have been looking at Jeep Wranglers, Subarus, Smart Cars, Fiat 500, Ford C-max, and the Chevy Equinox.
We narrowed it down to the Jeep and the Chevy. I know, not too similar. But to us, the provide a decent vehicle we can tow behind the bus, and a decent daily driver for the wife and a good road vehicle when we make a trip without other means.

So tell me, anyone have a V6 AWD? Do you have the 19" wheels and tires? We are looking at an LTZ trim level so we won't add much other than leather, tow hitch, mats and nav. We may have settled on the Champagne Silver Metallic with the Brownstone/Black leather interior. Anything I should know?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the Equinox is still the same as the Torrent.....run!

We have an '06 Torrent with 110,000 miles. The wife had to have it because it was purple!(purchased new) No more GM for me.

Wheel bearings, head gasket, suspension is shot and paint is delaminating. Not too bad I guess but the quality lacks imho.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have a buddy I have flown with that has a 2010 Nox with 150,000 4 cyl. He has some issues but has towed with it, and it is rated for 1500 pounds without the V6, then 3500 pounds. But we won't be towing more than a single axle utility with it occasionally. We still have a truck! This is to be a daily driver and toad for the coach. Not sure about a Torrent, will google it. Hmm...seems they share much of the same lineage. But the torrent was discontinued in '09 and the Equinox has been updated twice since the Torrent was last. Not sure about that. How did you use the vehicle @Murf'n'surf ? Garaged? Towing? 110,000 miles is low mileage to me. My Prius with 160K is like a new vehicle almost, as is my Silverado with 90K. All of the above mentioned defects are not players in my current vehicles, never a worry to speak of. Other than I may need brakes at 90K on the truck. Being hybrids, they don't use much brake since they use regen braking. But glad to have the feedback...I have going to research further before I order the vehicle.

4link

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
stay away from the awd and the hi feature 3.6l. go with the 4cyl and front wheel drive. you will be a much happier consumer

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
My sister-in-law has one and loves it. No issues.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Daily driver for the wife. Religious oil changes. Yes, garaged every day of its pampered life.

In the early years the Torrent and Nox were the same vehicle just branded differently with the Nox having some extra bs features.

A/C compressor failed around 80,000. Forgot about that one! Rear seal has been leaking since 90,000.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You guys are scaring me a little. Maybe not the vehicle for us. We eat the AWD and the 3.6L v6. Not interested in the 4cyl. Too small.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Cadillac crossover is the same platform but higher quality suspension and interior. Not sure about the motor.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Cadillac crossover is the same platform but higher quality suspension and interior. Not sure about the motor.
Are you talking about the Caddy SRX suv? I know it's got a 3.6 v6 and the newer ones are direct injected. They're a direct compitition to the Lexus RX350.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Please do!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Same engine and transmission in the SRX? Not sure that the caddy would make any better car. The LTZ is plenty nice for us. I've had Chevys a long tine and unless it has engine or tranny issues, most of the other stuff is just wear and tear. Not too many vehicles don't need some suspension and brake service by 100k or more miles. But I don't want to be pulling heads or having transmissions overhauled before the car serves its purpose. Chevy trucks are strong and long lived, just like ford trucks. Cars are a different matter as they just aren't built as strong. But my Prius has 160k and narry an issue. but I niw hear the battery isn't good but for 150-200k. So we want to trade before that.

thcole

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife has a 2010 equinox, v6, awd, and we like it. Had an issue with the throttle body but had it replaced either under warranty or recall. It has been good to us so far.

ArmyChief

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stay away from GM 3.6, especially early versions. All have chain issues. Early have cam walking, that GM "fixed", with a shim :)

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not really the right person to comment on US vehicles, but I can give my "outside" opinion due to renting mid SUV's when I'm in the US.
I had an Equinox two years ago and I was pretty impressed, not sure on spec but it was kitted out fairly good, rear camera etc, but it was gutless so I'd imagine it was the four pot. At the time some friends had a very similar vehicle but I think it was a Chrysler equivalent, I can't remember the name.
Jeep Patriot is appalling, never have I driven such a bad vehicle for a long time. Enjoyed driving the Wrangler, but maybe thats because of the soft top.

I read the Equinox is based on a Suzuki platform, have you considered a Rav 4?

DonWon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The Wrangler will hold it's resale value way better than the Chevy. Besides the Wrangler is a much cooler vehicle!

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
X2 on wrangler resale value. It's not as smooth of a ride as the chevy, but it is so much more fun to drive on gorgeous days. The Nox just doesn't have any personality.

eastcoaster

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
GM will re style and update the Equinox for 2016, if that has any bearing on your decision

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is just a mild update, no new features other than grille styling, some changes in colors available, and the addition of LED lights. It is not the refresh that many are waiting for, and I hear rumors that 2017 may bring an complete upgrade of the vehicle. My concern isn't with cosmetic appointments. I feel GM/Chevy does a good job in that department, but to get some of the benefits of their capability, you have to go with higher trim levels. I don't want to go all the way to a caddy to get that level of trim, the Nox LTZ is nice enough for me. We actually don't like the new saddle brown interior vs the outgoing brownstone. And the light gray titanium is nice with certain exterior colors, but not sure I like the contrast between the black and titanium. All of this stuff is just personal taste IMO, and doesn't play a role in the foundation of the vehicle. But you gotta live with these type purchases a long time, so compromise is made. The harsher ride and less creature comfort of the jeep for daily driving is just hard to take. Visibility in all of these vehicles, along with the less flexible bodies that we have compared to those of you just 10 years younger, means the back up cameras and the warnings are not only good to have, but a needed asset. I took a test drive yesterday in the nox V6 LTZ trim, and it saved my ass backing up! The sun was glaring on the backup display and I didn't see the truck that came whizzing by, but the warning sounded causing me to stop! I like that, fail safe is good if it isn't a nuisance. The jeep just doesn't provide that kind of info to the driver, and the camera is even an add on. The road noise in the jeep is so loud compared to the quieter environs of the nox. But again, compromises...the nox takes a great deal more work to install the backplate for the blue ox tow bar connection to the coach, and getting lights and brakes for it may be so much more work I have to pay someone to do it over self install I could do on the jeep. Just so many variables and desire to get it right...it may have me holding off and having no choice but a '16 nox if that is what we want. It is my understanding I have to order it by this weekend if I want to go that route to get the '15...if I wait, I can order a '16 next week, but it won't be delivered until September. Such is life. I appreciate all the different perspectives! I might add that I would throw the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel into the mix...if the acquisition cost wasn't 30k more for similar trim levels. Again, compromise.