• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tell me about your Chevy Equinox

Gmmastertech1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Just saw this post thanks to the tag! What year Equinox are we talking about? Yes, the 07-early 2011 3.6L LLT and LY6 engines had issues with the timing chain stretching due to a cheap supplier. This was corrected. I don't agree with staying away from the 3.6's. It is now GM's flagship engine. It is being used in the Equinox, Malibu, Impala, Colorado, Traverse and others. My wife's 2014 Impala with the 3.6 has extreme power, smooth operation, and nails 33 mpg on the highway. I have MANY 3.6's I work on that have close to 200,000 miles on them. They have continually perfected it. I know a lot of techs don't like it because it is a complicated engine.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks for the input @Gmmastertech1 . All the engines today are too complicated for the shade tree mechanic to do more to, than normal annual service maintenance. My sales guy that is no longer in sales directly is ordering the vehicle to my preference, whether I take it or not. So we are going to have the exact car we want. I am glad you took the time to reply. Do you have an opinion on the Steering on the V6, whether the optional hydraulic variable assist is better and more reliable than the standard electric power assist on the LTZ Equinox? Also is the optional front dual-flow dampers better than the standard suspension? Living in Texas, no sunroof for us, and since we don't have kids in the back, no DVD entertainment either, but all the rest we will install. Any additional technical history or info is appreciated!

Gmmastertech1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Hey Mel! I've enjoyed all your input you've given over at YJB. I'm still a member there. Not sure what all happened over there that started this forum but glad I've joined here. The electric power steering were dominately installed on the 4 cylinder models, while the hydraulic were found mainly on the V6. Although you could get either way. Very little concerns on the electric steering, more on the hydraulic. For whatever reason, most problems with them are on the Traverse. Multiple pumps and rack issues. GM issued a special coverage adjustments on the Traverse that covers them for 10 years/120,000. As far as feel, not an excessive amount of difference. Suspension, most order the standard so I don't have a lot of input on the dual damper. When GM went global architecture in around 08, things were definitely improving, but some poor choices here and there. They are continually improving. Very impressed with what I'm seeing in the last 2-3 years. Lower warranty repairs and a lot of other brands on our used lot.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks so much again @Gmmastertech1 , having had two hybrids (3 actually) for years, electric everything works well, is clean, quiet, and runs even when the engine wasn't turning. Of course the engine doesn't shut down on this vehicle, so not a player. I am glad I don't need to order those two other options. Hydraulic racks can be a real PIA. If your bored sometime, you can read the "why I am here" posts in the Founders Forum...but it is only there for members with an interest and that want to see it, so it is by request only...and I will leave that at that. I like to help and I learned so much from many of our founding members here when over there, once I was banned over there, it was an easy transition to a place that wanted to be "for the member". Anyway, we are glad your spending some time here and hopefully, you will make it a home!

Gmmastertech1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Well, that was interesting! Have no idea how it took me over a year to find you guys over here. Yeah, I'm home!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It is just a mild update, no new features other than grille styling, some changes in colors available, and the addition of LED lights. It is not the refresh that many are waiting for, and I hear rumors that 2017 may bring an complete upgrade of the vehicle. My concern isn't with cosmetic appointments. I feel GM/Chevy does a good job in that department, but to get some of the benefits of their capability, you have to go with higher trim levels. I don't want to go all the way to a caddy to get that level of trim, the Nox LTZ is nice enough for me. We actually don't like the new saddle brown interior vs the outgoing brownstone. And the light gray titanium is nice with certain exterior colors, but not sure I like the contrast between the black and titanium. All of this stuff is just personal taste IMO, and doesn't play a role in the foundation of the vehicle. But you gotta live with these type purchases a long time, so compromise is made. The harsher ride and less creature comfort of the jeep for daily driving is just hard to take. Visibility in all of these vehicles, along with the less flexible bodies that we have compared to those of you just 10 years younger, means the back up cameras and the warnings are not only good to have, but a needed asset. I took a test drive yesterday in the nox V6 LTZ trim, and it saved my ass backing up! The sun was glaring on the backup display and I didn't see the truck that came whizzing by, but the warning sounded causing me to stop! I like that, fail safe is good if it isn't a nuisance. The jeep just doesn't provide that kind of info to the driver, and the camera is even an add on. The road noise in the jeep is so loud compared to the quieter environs of the nox. But again, compromises...the nox takes a great deal more work to install the backplate for the blue ox tow bar connection to the coach, and getting lights and brakes for it may be so much more work I have to pay someone to do it over self install I could do on the jeep. Just so many variables and desire to get it right...it may have me holding off and having no choice but a '16 nox if that is what we want. It is my understanding I have to order it by this weekend if I want to go that route to get the '15...if I wait, I can order a '16 next week, but it won't be delivered until September. Such is life. I appreciate all the different perspectives! I might add that I would throw the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel into the mix...if the acquisition cost wasn't 30k more for similar trim levels. Again, compromise.
Mel, you will be pleased. 2 people in our office have '14's and love them. I love how much Chevy has put into them and they are reliable. The experiences that some have noted with the older models is difference and you will not have to worry about that.

DoubleThrust

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Deep down brother, you know you should stay with Toyota...