• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tesla electric truck

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just for discussion.....did some quick math.

100kWh battery = 360mil Joules of energy
25gal of gasoline = 3bil Joules of energy......an order of magnitude more than the battery
25gal of diesel = 3.6bil Joules of energy

Really shows the effeciency of the electric motors, to be able to travel 200 miles on such little energy. Also highlights why the ICE is better at towing, as any hill your energy consumption should be a linear increase with weight. It simply has more energy available to keep moving longer.

Also to keep some perspective.....I'm just really interested in these kinds of things. I'm not trying to be pro or against either side.

Side thought.......I had never considered the idea of always waking up to a "full tank" so to speak. Wonder what the time savings are in terms of dollars? Guess that depends on your billable rate right? Interesting thoughts.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not often - but it is nice to have that option. I might be the only one - but I would rather grind out a 6-7 hour drive without stopping then make it 8-9 hours by stopping. Our last big trip - we made it from Tampa to Lake Wissota,Wisconsin in 20 hours with a pair of skis. I think we stopped three times. At your rate, that would have cost us another 4 hours.

Hell right now - I am not sure if I could safely make it to Miami in an electric. I would def want to recharge before alligator alley (80 mile stretch of nothing). Or I could I make it round trip without stopping to refuel with my truck.
I understand, as that used to be me - I would drive from Wisconsin to Maryland (about 800 miles) with one stop. I haven't done it in the S yet, but it would now take 3-4 stops (adding about 2 hours) and have determined that I am much more refreshed when I get to my destination with the stops.

To each their own - neither option is right for everyone :)

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just for discussion.....did some quick math.

100kWh battery = 360mil Joules of energy
25gal of gasoline = 3bil Joules of energy......an order of magnitude more than the battery
25gal of diesel = 3.6bil Joules of energy

Really shows the effeciency of the electric motors, to be able to travel 200 miles on such little energy. Also highlights why the ICE is better at towing, as any hill your energy consumption should be a linear increase with weight. It simply has more energy available to keep moving longer.

Also to keep some perspective.....I'm just really interested in these kinds of things. I'm not trying to be pro or against either side.

Side thought.......I had never considered the idea of always waking up to a "full tank" so to speak. Wonder what the time savings are in terms of dollars? Guess that depends on your billable rate right? Interesting thoughts.
It is wind resistance (profile of the towed item) rather than weight that makes the larger difference in towing efficiency, unless you are experiencing significant altitude/speed changes.

FYI, When I tow my boat with my SUV I go from ~24mpg to ~ 14mpg, so going from 300Wh/mi to 500Wh/mi (or 300 miles of range to 200) with an X is a VERY CLOSE comparison.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is wind resistance (profile of the towed item) rather than weight that makes the larger difference in towing efficiency, unless you are experiencing significant altitude/speed changes.

FYI, When I tow my boat with my SUV I go from ~24mpg to ~ 14mpg, so going from 300Wh/mi to 500Wh/mi (or 300 miles of range to 200) with an X is a VERY CLOSE comparison.
Agreed. Wind resistance is the biggest factor in steady state conditions. Altitude changes further increase the energy needed.

I think they are close comparisons for certain. Interesting that it's a 67% (200/300) decrease for the electric and a 42% (10/24)decrease for the gas. Wonder what drives that discrepancy.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. Wind resistance is the biggest factor in steady state conditions. Altitude changes further increase the energy needed.

I think they are close comparisons for certain. Interesting that it's a 67% (200/300) decrease for the electric and a 42% (10/24)decrease for the gas. Wonder what drives that discrepancy.
You have it backward. 100/300 decrease for electric (33%).

Both of those are anecdotal, however, rather than controlled experiments.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have it backward. 100/300 decrease for electric (33%).

Both of those are anecdotal, however, rather than controlled experiments.
Percentage change = Difference between new and old divided by old......SO....(500Wh/mi-300Wh/mi)/300Wh/mi = 200/300 = 66.67%

Can't compare consumption rate of fuel with range of electric. Must be same quantities for comparison........

SO, to be fair (.0417gal/mi - .0714gal/mi)/.0417gal/mi = 71.22%

I thought something was peculiar in the disparity between the two. This looks much better.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Looks just like mine except with 22s and Limited package lol.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cool - you are welcome to PM me with any questions you might have.

I have charged away from home less than 5 times, other than using Superchargers when we travel. It really is a shift in thinking, that you NEVER have to stop for gas/electricity (other than when you travel) because you always wake up to a "full" car.

I might do that.

since were on the subject of Tesla Truck... Im sure batts wouldnt last long with that kinda power usage...but how fun would that short time be! LOL

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Won't happen, Tesla will be liquidated long before they can produce anything.

Elon Musk is all talk, no results. He just runs his mouth about ideas and throws made up numbers out, and his cult followers eat it up.

You wont see a new roadster or a truck from Tesla. They will be but a footnote in history with any of their worthwhile assets bought up.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder how far i could drive towing my boat through the hills of PA with a electric truck?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Elon Musk is all talk, no results. He just runs his mouth about ideas and throws made up numbers out, and his cult followers eat it up.

You wont see a new roadster or a truck from Tesla. They will be but a footnote in history with any of their worthwhile assets bought up.
Not going to get into a debate here (since this is a boat forum) but
http://www.thedrive.com/news/22676/the-tesla-model-3-is-one-of-the-top-ten-best-selling-cars-in-america and
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-ranked-by-owner-satisfaction/

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder how far i could drive towing my boat through the hills of PA with a electric truck?
Edited to clarify... I meant this for a Model X. No one knows what the non-existent truck will do :)

I would anticipate ~ 140-150 miles. You could probably stretch it closer to 190 miles by doing what the semis do - momentum gain on the way down and scrub speed on the way up.

Here are the Superchargers around PA (gray are opening in the rest of 2018):
upload_2018-8-11_10-2-59.png

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Maybe so... But he put a dummy... In a space suit.. Sitting in a car.... Into space!!! !! I am a car guy... Don't much like electric cars so I have no opinion on elon but COME ON! A freaking car into space... And with style! !

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe so... But he put a dummy... In a space suit.. Sitting in a car.... Into space!!! !! I am a car guy... Don't much like electric cars so I have no opinion on elon but COME ON! A freaking car into space... And with style! !
As a Roadster owner that somewhat pained me, but it was pretty cool "advertising" for Tesla.

I am a car guy too and somewhat pooh-poohed electric... until I drove one. Then I bought two, lol.

There is no comparison to the instant torque and rate of acceleration possible with electric. 2.2 seconds 0-60 for a large premium sedan? Unfair :)

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a Roadster owner that somewhat pained me, but it was pretty cool "advertising" for Tesla.

I am a car guy too and somewhat pooh-poohed electric... until I drove one. Then I bought two, lol.

There is no comparison to the instant torque and rate of acceleration possible with electric. 2.2 seconds 0-60 for a large premium sedan? Unfair :)
Oh I get the responce and torque... Now if they can make it sound like a meaty v8 then I am in!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Hmm... I think I may need to stop paying attention to your coments.
https://electrek.co/2018/08/10/tesla-semi-prototype-truck-inspection-cleared/

--

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I get the responce and torque... Now if they can make it sound like a meaty v8 then I am in!
Done! that was easy, I think they have it available in any flavor you desire. With a good sound system, you could feel like a NACAR driver (with a faster car), lol.

I must say, I'm with you on the whole thing! And pretty much sure I will die driving my Toyota LC, lol. But, the argument is really over. At this point there is probably nothing that would stop EVs to be the future of transportation, and self driving for that.
We are fortunate to live in interesting times when it's just not in plain sight. Kind of like the once-upon-a-time steam power vs gas debate.

--

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
0-60 is fine and all, but they suck at everything else. They handle like crap, the interior is really poorly done for their price, they have no feedback, and they trail off quickly after that 0-60 sprint.

Teslas are great for bragging about 0-60, but they're total jokes on a track, on curvy roads, or anything other that their one trick.

Tesla has repeatedly shown that they can't actually manufacture things. They can design them, prototype them, but they can't transition to production. This is something that the actual auto makers CAN do, and why Tesla's assets will have value to them.

Tesla is a few court cases away from having to go back to franchised dealers, and the ev tax credits are phasing out for them. Meanwhile, the big players are offering battery powered cars that deliver on the hype and promises of Tesla. Things dont look good for them in the future, and it doesn't take much to see that. They BLEED money like crazy and act like they have unlimited funds, but eventually they have to turn a profit for shareholders (and venture capitalists) if they want to stay in business.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
0-60 is fine and all, but they suck at everything else. They handle like crap, the interior is really poorly done for their price, they have no feedback, and they trail off quickly after that 0-60 sprint.

Teslas are great for bragging about 0-60, but they're total jokes on a track, on curvy roads, or anything other that their one trick.

Tesla has repeatedly shown that they can't actually manufacture things. They can design them, prototype them, but they can't transition to production. This is something that the actual auto makers CAN do, and why Tesla's assets will have value to them.

Tesla is a few court cases away from having to go back to franchised dealers, and the ev tax credits are phasing out for them. Meanwhile, the big players are offering battery powered cars that deliver on the hype and promises of Tesla. Things dont look good for them in the future, and it doesn't take much to see that. They BLEED money like crazy and act like they have unlimited funds, but eventually they have to turn a profit for shareholders (and venture capitalists) if they want to stay in business.
Since you won't give up (and apparently are ignoring the fact that they were the highest selling american-made car in July), here's MotorTrend's "first taste" of the performance Model 3...

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/2018-tesla-model-3-dual-motor-performance-review/

Remember that freeway onramp we "missed" before Nelson took the wheel? It's a sweet 700-foot short-chute that whips into a right-hander I know very well, and I wasn't going to simply wait for the next freeway entry. "Hang on," I'd told everybody, whipping a U-turn and stamping the accelerator. Even with four aboard, the Model 3 DMP surged ahead so startlingly that it stopped conversation. Except maybe for an uttered "Oh my god." I braked pretty hard and arched up the on-ramp toward the freeway. It was a flourish more akin to swiping a navigation route on your phone than driving a car on the actual road. Carol might have been upside down by the time I backed off.

In maybe 120 wheel revolutions, a high-performance hierarchy has been rattled. The European marques perennially atop the sport sedan podium are about to have trapdoors release beneath them.
And a quick Google search shows a TON of 1/4 miles (stock) vs modified Hellcats, Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens etc.... I'll let you search for yourself, but in case you don't want to...Tesla wins almost all of them. So much for "trail off quickly after that 0-60 sprint."

P.S. In order to "go back to franchised dealers" you have to have actually have had them at some point. Other manufacturers (BMW and Volvo, for instance) are trying to move away from dealers in (at least at the moment) limited ways, so it is a good bet that it will flip the other way, rather than Tesla losing that right.

P.S.S. You sound a little perturbed...might be on the short side of a trade with a big paper loss? :rolleyes:

Finally, sorry for my responses to an off-topic (troll?). With over 100,000 trouble free and happy miles on our Teslas I thought I could contribute to the discussion about the potential Tesla truck.