• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tested new boat speed tonight. 2016 ar192

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check out the Haltech ecu. It gives you complete control of all parameters and also has some base maps that come with it. That is what I would be doing if I had the time to spend on it.
Classic @SamCF. But -- for everyone else, if you do not know how to tune, data log or have a tuner that knows the software, I suggest a V-tech reflash. That would be the second thing I would do with an SHO, the first being intercooler upgrade.
It used to be that R&D reflash was most popular for Yamaha mass market, Dean's team if you were an afficionado. But right now, V-tech just about rules in that segment with Maptuner X. It is also not terribly expensive, and you get a license to any canned tunes, ready to go, suitable for any taste.

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really don't understand why a company hasn't stepped up to the plate to support these boats with canned reflash tunes. There is a large untapped market for it.

I'd be completely game for running 93 octane in the boat if it meant more ignition timing and a leaner burn. I don't even care about the power but a small bump in range would be welcomed.

I looked into the maptuner x previously and noticed we were not on the supported list.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really don't understand why a company hasn't stepped up to the plate to support these boats with canned reflash tunes. There is a large untapped market for it.

I'd be completely game for running 93 octane in the boat if it meant more ignition timing and a leaner burn. I don't even care about the power but a small bump in range would be welcomed.

I looked into the maptuner x previously and noticed we were not on the supported list.
You have an SHO engine, right?
http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=244745
Please email Jerry Gaddis at PWC Performance Store [pwcperformancestore@gmail.com], he would be the best person to guide you, I don't know which one of the Swedish V-Tech boys runs the boat show right now. These guys are pretty awesome, very responsive, but I have learned that going through Jerry is the fastest when you want things done.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Although not about SHO, there has been a good amount of discussion of the V-Tech reflash for the n/a 1.8, if you have time, I think most useful info would be towards the end.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/vtech-maptuner-ecu-reflash-first-impressions.7818/page-7#post-147420

Thomas DePriest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Thank You, I know I sound like a broken record, I will order a new intercooler. I am just worried there is something else holding it back. Even instantly after unloading it will only hit 7000rmp. Plus not perform up to snuff, I appreciate your patiants. lol
I have noticed a very large difference in my speeds depending not only on heat and weight but outside conditions as well. Rough waters, bimini top out, and a little head wind cut my speed by a huge margin. The only time I have ever hit 49 with good RPM's is straight off the trailer, late in the afternoon with smooth waters, and just me.

Thomas DePriest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Check out the Haltech ecu. It gives you complete control of all parameters and also has some base maps that come with it. That is what I would be doing if I had the time to spend on it.

The "Heat Soak" that we talk about may be more about safeguards built into the stock tuning. Example: ECU sees a high intake air temp, and it detunes. The bigger intercooler may not be added power, it might just be keeping the temps down to keep the ECU happy.

I was out yesterday. Air was 90 deg, water was 88 deg. Had 4 adults and 5 kids (I know it's one too many), and it never felt sluggish. Pulled kneeboards and tubes and the boat felt peppy the whole time. The bimini was up, so I didn't go over 40mph

To the OP. Check the throttle adjustment and make sure its going full throttle.
I would really like to know how to check the throttle adjustment. It seems that I always have a little more space when trying to run WOT, like say a 1/4 of an inch of play when it should be full-throtel. How to check and correct that?

Thomas DePriest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We have been giving it to you straight. I've posted in all your threads what to do. UPGRADE THE INTERCOOLER! The stock intercooler is a bottleneck for any efficiency and performance of the boat. It's too small and doesn't allow for enough cooling to maintain efficient power. Others who have done it have posted the great results they've had. Even if its just the SVHO it helps this boat a ton.

I will be upgrading mine in the winter and I'll do a video of the entire installation process so that it will help others.

Also is your boat a 4-star CARB version? Do you see a 4-star graphic on your windshield or side bow area?
I will also be waiting for you to post that video. I really want to upgrade the intercooler as well.

Thomas DePriest

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I would really like to know how to check the throttle adjustment. It seems that I always have a little more space when trying to run WOT, like say a 1/4 of an inch of play when it should be full-throtel. How to check and correct that?
Never mind, I just found the video about this.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
"Were going to need a bigger boat"...or more engine specifically. Your still going to be faced with the fact that you can't carry a full load and get 50mph. My boat did 52 from the factory. I did 50-52 the first time I ran it WOT after break in. But it was two people and no upgrades, and hardly any gear. Today, I am seeing 47ish, on the most recent trip. Because I have 2 group 27 batteries, a heavy enclosure for the upgraded stereo, the subwoofer, head modifications, and all the gear I carry. It is what it is...weight matters, as does the loading of that weight.

Pilot806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Elevation is also a huge factor even on the sc models. I purchased a new 2016 AR192 this past July. First outing after break in and it topped at 39 mph gps (6700 rpm) with just my wife and I on board. I was convinced something was wrong. I read forums, checked throttle gap, replaced spark plugs, pulled the air filter but nothing changed. So I called the dealer and he told me to check for debris in the pump, nothing. So we used the boat as normal. We took it for the 10 hour service. My local dealer was full, so we took it 4 hours to a dealer in Oklahoma. I told them about the issue and they checked everything and it looked fine to them. I had them lake test it and it ran 47 mph on the speedo. I was pumped to get it back to the lake, only to find out that it only ran 41 mph speedo. The only difference was the lake the dealer had it at was about 1000' elevation and the lake I frequent is 3000' elevation. I did not ever think the performance (especially RPM) would suffer that badly. I will be investing in a custom pitch impeller from Impros this off season. Hopefully i can squeeze some more mph out of her. Hope this helps anyone else that has performance issue at elevation.

Last edited:

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'm not sure elevation makes a big difference. The lake I am normally at, is 800'. I went last summer to a lake in North Carolina that was 3500'. It was really cool outside, and the water was 75 degrees also. I could run 48 mph with 2 adults, one child and a full tank of gas. I would say I lost 1-2 mph with the elevation.

Pilot806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@SamCF
I'm glad your experience has been better than mine. I can only take mine at face value. Air temperature at both lakes were high 90's and water temperatures were mid 80s. The only variable for me has been elevation.

Pilot806

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Update: I purchased a Solas pump from Impros pitched for 3000'. We launched this past Sunday. Air temp 78 and water temp 68.
So much better all around performance and less rattle at idle. Top RPM 7750 and top speed 45 mph gps confirmed. I cant wait for warmer water!
Finally got to order my new gear and most important, my twin 400 lbs ballast bags!!!