• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tested new boat speed tonight. 2016 ar192

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok is there something wrong with the performance on this boat. Been hearing about heat soak. 5 adults on boat 850lb. Right when cold ran it across lake. 39 maybe 40 mph. Then at end of ride 36 mph then again only 32 mph. Elevation is about 2000ft. Water is 75 degrees. Love the boat but I want more performance. If it is what it is I will have to live with it or buy a bigger boat. Give it too me straight. I hear 50 mph. I have hit 42 43 with 3 or 3 people on. Most of the time I will have 4 to 8 people on boat. Mix of kids and adults.

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
There are multiple threads about the heat soak. Most all of us with the 192's suffer from it. The good news is there are ways to help that with an upgraded intercooler. I will defer to the more experienced in that arena to help you with that. With 8 people on the boat, that will definitely hurt you as well.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for reply. Yes I have read about that and asked about this before. My question is is this all thats wrong. With 5 people it would not hit 40 mph right off the Trailer. I forgot to look at rpm on first run but last one it was 6700rpm and I've never seen much over 7000 rpm. I hear this 50 mph and 76-7700 rpm. If I would do that or hit say 45 with 5 adults I would be happy. I'm not really about speed but torque for cornering.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have been giving it to you straight. I've posted in all your threads what to do. UPGRADE THE INTERCOOLER! The stock intercooler is a bottleneck for any efficiency and performance of the boat. It's too small and doesn't allow for enough cooling to maintain efficient power. Others who have done it have posted the great results they've had. Even if its just the SVHO it helps this boat a ton.

I will be upgrading mine in the winter and I'll do a video of the entire installation process so that it will help others.

Also is your boat a 4-star CARB version? Do you see a 4-star graphic on your windshield or side bow area?

Devin Jensen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
We have been giving it to you straight. I've posted in all your threads what to do. UPGRADE THE INTERCOOLER! The stock intercooler is a bottleneck for any efficiency and performance of the boat. It's too small and doesn't allow for enough cooling to maintain efficient power. Others who have done it have posted the great results they've had. Even if its just the SVHO it helps this boat a ton.

I will be upgrading mine in the winter and I'll do a video of the entire installation process so that it will help others.

Also is your boat a 4-star CARB version? Do you see a 4-star graphic on your windshield or side bow area?
I plan on watching video and then copying you.... hahah

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do they make CARB rated SHOs?
Maybe outboards, never heard of it in a jet inboard.
But that would not be an issue, anyway, as @Mainah has recently demonstrated with his boat.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Thank You, I know I sound like a broken record, I will order a new intercooler. I am just worried there is something else holding it back. Even instantly after unloading it will only hit 7000rmp. Plus not perform up to snuff, I appreciate your patiants. lol

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Witch way you going with intercooler?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Witch way you going with intercooler?
More tha likely I'm going with a used SVHO intercooler unless some crazy deal pops up for a Fizzle or other aftermarket.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do they make CARB rated SHOs?
Maybe outboards, never heard of it in a jet inboard.
But that would not be an issue, anyway, as @Mainah has recently demonstrated with his boat.
If they want to sell and appeal to California greenies then yes. If it's anything like motorcycles you'll find a lot of CARB units in Cali mainly because it's mandated in some areas to ride. Not sure how strict they are with boats. The 192 owners manual shows where to identify if your boat is 4 star so I assume they make them.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The intercooler will help with the heat soak and will maintain the power from the get go but it will not really INCREASE any power. The ribbon delete will help, somewhat, from what I hear. But dont expect a night and day difference. I have the AR192 and have the same problem from the get go so if you are in a position to do so, BUY THE BIGGER BOAT. If you have a complaint not, it will only bug you more and more....Ask me how I know...:(

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Actually the a better intercooler will increase power in a sense, especially when you're working with a gimped system from the factory. The reason the boat is slower after heat soak is because it lost power due to inefficiency and higher air temps. By providing a cooler, denser charge you will make more efficient power. It's the recipe for any internal combustion engine.

On big turbo cars you can see huge gains (sometimes 30+ hp) in having the right IC installed. I'm sure the same principle applies to any boosted application be it car, motorcycle, PWC, etc.

Last edited:

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The gain on this would be very little and hardly noticeable. You would notice more sustained power more than any power GAIN. To do that, boost must be increased, being fuel injected-the engine needs to be tuned for ANY upgrade done to this. The principle is simple. Just as any car/truck. Most everyone wants more power so the cheapest, easiest way to buy a Cold Air Intake kit. Well, this sounds good in theory but the vehicles now adays have a mass air meter or other metering device measuring the intake air volume/temp. If the computer sees more intake volume due to the new CAI that was installed, it will simply "de-tune" the fuel in conjunction to essentially not make any more power. Once you TUNE the computer to read more air and not follow predetermined parameters, it will add more fuel for the added air and THEN make more power. The same applies to these boats. All the upgrades need to be tuned to gain their full potential-ribbon delete, intercooler installs, re-pitch on the impellers, etc.

Once we have a hand held tuner available for these boats, thats when we will see them come alive. ESPECIALLY with them being supercharged. I honestly dont know why they didnt go turbo. Turbo is free power and supercharged isnt. You are constantly using power to make power on a supercharged engine. If I had the money or time, I would love to fab up a turbo on one of these engines and mess with the air/fuel to really see what these little engines are capable of. They say they are rated at 220ish HP now, I see 275 being easily achievable with a turbo, larger injectors, and a nasty tune (All be it negatively affecting the gas mileage which is already terrible). Getting it "too the ground" or water in this case would be the hard part. Playing with the impeller pitch and other variables.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The gain on this would be very little and hardly noticeable. You would notice more sustained power more than any power GAIN. To do that, boost must be increased, being fuel injected-the engine needs to be tuned for ANY upgrade done to this. The principle is simple. Just as any car/truck. Most everyone wants more power so the cheapest, easiest way to buy a Cold Air Intake kit. Well, this sounds good in theory but the vehicles now adays have a mass air meter or other metering device measuring the intake air volume/temp. If the computer sees more intake volume due to the new CAI that was installed, it will simply "de-tune" the fuel in conjunction to essentially not make any more power. Once you TUNE the computer to read more air and not follow predetermined parameters, it will add more fuel for the added air and THEN make more power. The same applies to these boats. All the upgrades need to be tuned to gain their full potential-ribbon delete, intercooler installs, re-pitch on the impellers, etc.

Once we have a hand held tuner available for these boats, thats when we will see them come alive. ESPECIALLY with them being supercharged. I honestly dont know why they didnt go turbo. Turbo is free power and supercharged isnt. You are constantly using power to make power on a supercharged engine. If I had the money or time, I would love to fab up a turbo on one of these engines and mess with the air/fuel to really see what these little engines are capable of. They say they are rated at 220ish HP now, I see 275 being easily achievable with a turbo, larger injectors, and a nasty tune (All be it negatively affecting the gas mileage which is already terrible). Getting it "too the ground" or water in this case would be the hard part. Playing with the impeller pitch and other variables.
Did you miss this thread?
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx-192-mods.6550/page-17

"Once we have a hand held tuner available for these boats" -- there already is a Maptuner X (V-Tech), works really well for SHOs...

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Apparently so...;). I'll have to look into the tuner.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Doesnt look very user friendly. Is there anything that is truly "hand held"? Meaning that every modification you do, you can go back and re-tune it based off the addition of the mod.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
once you go above 4 people the performance takes a hit. I had 6 adults on a few weeks ago and the boat was a dog

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I just wish the tuning software is where the automotive industry is now. Maybe a few more years.....

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Check out the Haltech ecu. It gives you complete control of all parameters and also has some base maps that come with it. That is what I would be doing if I had the time to spend on it.

The "Heat Soak" that we talk about may be more about safeguards built into the stock tuning. Example: ECU sees a high intake air temp, and it detunes. The bigger intercooler may not be added power, it might just be keeping the temps down to keep the ECU happy.

I was out yesterday. Air was 90 deg, water was 88 deg. Had 4 adults and 5 kids (I know it's one too many), and it never felt sluggish. Pulled kneeboards and tubes and the boat felt peppy the whole time. The bimini was up, so I didn't go over 40mph

To the OP. Check the throttle adjustment and make sure its going full throttle.