• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thank you Hydrophase Ridesteady!!!

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Had an absolutely perfect surf session (WITH THE WIFE DRIVING) this afternoon thanks to my Ridesteady!! Had the ballast dialed in, the Wake Wedge was at the perfect angle making the wake the best I have seen yet off my 212x. I did run an 1100 instead of my usual 750 bag on my swim platform so I'm sure that improved my wave, but more importantly NO ARGUMENTS in the middle of the lake!! Thanks Hydrophase!

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's awesome. Sounds like you're having a blast. It's nice to be able to take some stress out of the situation.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One day I'll have it. It'll be a marriage saver lol

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Heck yeah!!!! Having something that controls speed is so nice and like you said little to no arguments in the lake.

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider - I found out yesterday while surfing that you need to have the Wake Wedge at a very specific angle to get that perfect wave. Even the slightest variance (I mean slightest!) up or down either washes out the wake or produces a rooster tail that hinders the surf board on the wave face. I am considering finding a way to permanently lock in my perfect angle. By the way, the WW was spittin out a perfect wave yesterday. Thanks again for a great product.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I disassembled the turnbuckle and put jam nuts on each side, then reassembled. Small PITA, but it's all good now. :thumbsup:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider - I found out yesterday while surfing that you need to have the Wake Wedge at a very specific angle to get that perfect wave. Even the slightest variance (I mean slightest!) up or down either washes out the wake or produces a rooster tail that hinders the surf board on the wave face. I am considering finding a way to permanently lock in my perfect angle. By the way, the WW was spittin out a perfect wave yesterday. Thanks again for a great product.
I was wondering about that!
@jcyamaharider @ar240owner if it's okay to ask - do you guys recommend your "traditional" or automated WW adjustment style these days - which works best?

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the traditional but both have their value. Just all in what you like.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ditto on a perfect run with Ridesteady yesterday. Wakeboarding in my case. Wife's first time pulling me with this installed and she loved it. On the stock settings I found I dig in hard enough on heel or toe side at times to cause speed to bleed of momentarily but the system recovers very quickly.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Blenderhead , great to hear about the ridesteady success. How much ballast in total did you have on your boat for that perfect wave? Also, were you able to go ropeless with the wave produced?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Blenderhead , great to hear about the ridesteady success. How much ballast in total did you have on your boat for that perfect wave? Also, were you able to go ropeless with the wave produced?
Absolutely was able to go rope-less! Will post video on my next outing. I didn't think my wife would be able to navigate the boat (for the first time) and take video of me surfing lol.

Ballast - factory 1100lbs, plus 1100 on swim deck (more towards the Surfside), 750 on rear Surfside bench seat
Enhancements - Wake Wedge and Hydrophase Ridesteady
Speed - 10.4 mph

My profile pic shows a wave produced with full factory ballast and two 750 lb bags. That was when I was first able to slack the rope.

thcobb1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you by chance measure the angle for your wedge? or how many 1/2 turns from straight?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
did you by chance measure the angle for your wedge? or how many 1/2 turns from straight?
I did not because I was adjusting it back and forth while in the water between rides until I found "it". I can say though, at first I angled it down as specified by @jcyamaharider at about 10 degrees, however at that angle it produced a lot of spray and almost a rooster tail. The wave was decent but visibly covered by all the wash and I could also feel the wash pushing against my rear leg as I was on the wave face.

For the next iteration I moved the wedge up slightly, then adjusted it again until the extra spray was eliminated and the face cleaned up. At that point I had a nice steep wave with a considerable amount of push to go ropeless.

Note -Before I angled it down, I had the wedge all the way up which definitely cleaned up the wave but allowed a considerable amount of the jet wash that washed out the wake.

All I can say it was all trial and error with ZERO scientific method as to remembering how many rotations I turned the turnbuckle. What I will do is go out tomorrow and take a picture at dead hang (while on my boat lift) and post it. I will also try to take a picture of the turnbuckle and hopefully not drop my phone into the lake. I could try to remove the wedge for a better picture, however I then run the risk of dropping that shit in the lake - no Bueno.

Remember that there are a some assumptions here. 1. That all Yamaha Jetboats in the past few years have the same measurement from the top of the jet to the transom ceiling below the water. This would really determine your angle as you really want the wedge to block the wash, allow the water to flow past the angled portion of the wedge, but not hinder the thrust (too much). and 2. The "play" in the Wake Wedge may be different from boat to boat, and wedge to wedge and should be measured against/even to the top of the jet output in the (wedge) "tensioned" or as in the driven position. and 3. finally all your adjustments will be relevant and must supplement your ballast amount and how much the boat is listed by the additional weight.

The 212x has 1100lbs of factory ballast which I max out. I additionally add another 800-1100lbs on the rear swim deck and another 750-800lbs on the rear Surfside bench seat. If I didn't have a 212x with the factory ballast I think could could effectively reproduce a good wave with an 1100lb bag on the rear deck, an 800lb bag on the rear seat and a 800lb bag in the ski locker or bow floor. At least that is what I would try as a starting point.

By the way the Tsunami ballast pump is pretty awesome and moves water with authority in and out of the ballast bags. Make sure you match your fittings (from experience).

I, by no means am an expert regarding this. Hell, I have only had my boat since April and only had the wedge a month after that. I will defer to @jcyamaharider to validate my comments.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would say you are dead on, great explanation!!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did not because I was adjusting it back and forth while in the water between rides until I found "it". I can say though, at first I angled it down as specified by @jcyamaharider at about 10 degrees, however at that angle it produced a lot of spray and almost a rooster tail. The wave was decent but visibly covered by all the wash and I could also feel the wash pushing against my rear leg as I was on the wave face.

For the next iteration I moved the wedge up slightly, then adjusted it again until the extra spray was eliminated and the face cleaned up. At that point I had a nice steep wave with a considerable amount of push to go ropeless.

Note -Before I angled it down, I had the wedge all the way up which definitely cleaned up the wave but allowed a considerable amount of the jet wash that washed out the wake.

All I can say it was all trial and error with ZERO scientific method as to remembering how many rotations I turned the turnbuckle. What I will do is go out tomorrow and take a picture at dead hang (while on my boat lift) and post it. I will also try to take a picture of the turnbuckle and hopefully not drop my phone into the lake. I could try to remove the wedge for a better picture, however I then run the risk of dropping that shit in the lake - no Bueno.

Remember that there are a some assumptions here. 1. That all Yamaha Jetboats in the past few years have the same measurement from the top of the jet to the transom ceiling below the water. This would really determine your angle as you really want the wedge to block the wash, allow the water to flow past the angled portion of the wedge, but not hinder the thrust (too much). and 2. The "play" in the Wake Wedge may be different from boat to boat, and wedge to wedge and should be measured against/even to the top of the jet output in the (wedge) "tensioned" or as in the driven position. and 3. finally all your adjustments will be relevant and must supplement your ballast amount and how much the boat is listed by the additional weight.

The 212x has 1100lbs of factory ballast which I max out. I additionally add another 800-1100lbs on the rear swim deck and another 750-800lbs on the rear Surfside bench seat. If I didn't have a 212x with the factory ballast I think could could effectively reproduce a good wave with an 1100lb bag on the rear deck, an 800lb bag on the rear seat and a 800lb bag in the ski locker or bow floor. At least that is what I would try as a starting point.

By the way the Tsunami ballast pump is pretty awesome and moves water with authority in and out of the ballast bags. Make sure you match your fittings (from experience).

I, by no means am an expert regarding this. Hell, I have only had my boat since April and only had the wedge a month after that. I will defer to @jcyamaharider to validate my comments.
What awesome write up! Love it. And kudos to the Wake Wedge guys, again.
Also why I asked about the automated version. I would personally always err on the side of simplicity, also not too keen on sticking yet another non essential gauge/controller into my dash, but having an option of making small adjustments on the fly could be helpful. Just thinking out loud though, no real wedge experience here, yet.

--