• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Thanks Glassman!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I found a small dime sized hole in a corner on the transom. It had a void between the gelcoat and the fiberglass. It chipped away pretty easy if I messed with it. It would be covered under a new purchase and dealer warranty I am sure, but they would keep it a good while. Anyway, I just repaired it pretty quick a la @Glassman instructions.

I didn't want to chip it away to find out how far the void went in each direction. It was up under the starboard ride plate on the starboard corner. Glassman suggested I blow it out with compressed air to remove any moisture, I did and there was none.

Then squirt acetone into it to clean it out and discover how far back in each direction it went. I did, and it didn't go more than an inch in either direction. It actually flaked off more when I hit it with compressed air.

After the acetone, mix up your West system 105 and 205. And have Colloidial Silica handy to use as a thickener. I also had a supply of epoxy tints that I use in the wood shop. So I tinted it white after mixing it in a 5 parts resin to 1 part catalyst ratio. I didn't pump it, I used our food scale and put .50 oz of resin on a paper plate, and .10 oz of catalyst and mixed. Then added the tint and mixed. Then added the silica and mixed. I had bought a couple of syringes along with the other supplies. The total at West Marine was a little less that a $C Note.

I filled the syringe, and grabbed some blue painters tape and paper towels. I filled the void as deep with the pointed syringe as it would go, and just let it ooz out. I did this on both sides in both directions. I then wiped it flush, and taped it up leaving an area to fill "proud", or actually fill beyond the hole itself. I did this so I can sand it back flush. I think this will be a permanent fix without even needing gelcoat. But if it does, I ordered a couple of patch kits of gelcoat to fix it with. I fully expect it to disappear completely after I am done. But it is in an area that you really can't see easily. I looked the boat over thoroughly before I bought it, and I didn't see it at all. It may have been covered with caulk from the seal job on the ride plate to the transom cutout.

I should be good to go after I sand and polish it...Thanks @Glassman !!!

Mel, You are one calm dude...Cheers.

How do you like that West System epoxy? good stuff, huh....

You're done, go have fun! :cool:

Yes! It mixed easily and completely. I have used System III for years and like it too, but I have to admit, the West was easier in the tins than the plastic jugs of System III. I have filled holes with two part epoxy putty for years, but the technique you gave using the syringe and silica was AWESOME! Thanks again! BTW, I am going to be in Carson at the Doubletree Friday late afternoon and don't leave until noon Saturday. If your around...can I buy you a beer? I think Redondo beach is just down the road.

Nice write up for successful repair

Be careful with your blue tape!!! I had surrounded the repair area with it, and it will become part of the repair. You will then have to sand into the gelcoat to get rid of it all. But overall, an easy way to fix a void. I should have made it a little thicker, and not used the tape, using cellophane instead, and that would have put a finished surface on it instead of the tape issue. And for credit where credit is due...Glassman said if I was careful and laid it up with some saran over it, it might need nothing more. Should have added more silica to the epoxy.

Back