• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thanks everyone

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks so much for all the advice over the past few months. Bought a 23 255xd in February due to the fact that our dock goes dry in winter and from April-September it’s no more then 4.5’ high -

because of you all I was able to take it to the marina by myself and put it in the water off the trailer and take it to my dock which currently has 2.5’ of water. I came to the marina prepared and I did a number of checklists over the last few weeks to get it ready whether it was Noco 5x2 or having my rope tied and dock fenders ready - no one probably thought I was a first time boat owner.

The boat handled incredibly well first time out with the exception of one thing which I would like advice - but maybe it’s just the downfall of this boat in general. I even researched a bunch and knew going in it could be a problem.

but the jet spray on the 1.8 SVHO is crazy even with 70’ rope. Anything over 20 MPH the jet spray just makes it not fun. second day I put an ORB to try to knock some down and did help a touch but nothing great.

so right now I’m at a two / 30 ft ropes / the orb which is 3’ and a 3’ bungee. Maybe I can learn to keep the tube out of the jet spray?

I’m wondering if only super Mable’s towed chariot style can block the jet spray. As my oldest said who doesn’t embellish anything said it felt like someone took a pressure washer to his face.

other than that the boat is amazing. We do have access to a pontoon through a boat club so we may have to use that for tubing then use the Yamaha for everything else.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
First rule of towing is inflate the tubes hard so they slide on the water and do not dig into it , this is very important and your boat looses a lot of speed in turns all this requires more thrust and creates more spray so if you want a lot better handling boat and better at all speeds look into my super magnum ak-19 deluxe steering it makes a huge difference . having the correct steering lets you do things at all speeds you would not really expect. here is the wake behind one with my steering system added https://youtu.be/OYPEQuOgZPY here is the boat in the video and it has the system I mentioned.
1714353374868.png and here is what I do with tubes.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pics/vids of what you're talking about.

I've got 60' and towing from the tow point in the middle of the swim platform gives me good results. I also used an Airhead tow yoke, attaching each hook to a transom tie down loop. That added about 5', but it was low in the water, and the rope would cause spray in turns, but nothing like what you're describing. Wrapping the hooks of the yoke around the lower section of my tower kept the rope up and out of the spray, but I lost enough length that it wasn't worthwhile, as well as the fact that nobody could sit in the rear section of the cockpit at all.

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Pics/vids of what you're talking about.

I've got 60' and towing from the tow point in the middle of the swim platform gives me good results. I also used an Airhead tow yoke, attaching each hook to a transom tie down loop. That added about 5', but it was low in the water, and the rope would cause spray in turns, but nothing like what you're describing. Wrapping the hooks of the yoke around the lower section of my tower kept the rope up and out of the spray, but I lost enough length that it wasn't worthwhile, as well as the fact that nobody could sit in the rear section of the cockpit at all.
The rope isn’t the issue at its length. No spray coming from rope. The boat has all the power in the world. The pic where you see there’s a gap between the jet spray and tube is going about 18-20mph.
The pic with the jet spray in there face is going 25. So it’s not like I’m going super fast. Our pontoon goes about 20 mph pulling tubers so anything above that on the 255xd the jet spray goes way out

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
An extended rope will help get them away from the jet wash as it puts them further back but the further back you go the harder it is to have real control over the tubes that is why the steering helps because it keeps the boat from becoming lethargic in turns and the tube being inflated properly makes the tube slide on TOP of the water .

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have you tried putting using the ballast system in the boat to get the stern lower in the water?

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Have you tried putting using the ballast system in the boat to get the stern lower in the water?
I haven’t. That was my next thought as I progress thru the options on the boat.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That really is a ton of spray! I don't have anywhere close to that, it looks like you are high in the stern which is causing that, but I'm not certain why. Do you have people in the bow on that picture? That would help to cause that as well

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
An extended rope will help get them away from the jet wash as it puts them further back but the further back you go the harder it is to have real control over the tubes that is why the steering helps because it keeps the boat from becoming lethargic in turns and the tube being inflated properly makes the tube slide on TOP of the water .
There’s nothing lethargic about this boat….. The boat has plenty of power. So much so the jet spray is incredibly powerful and goes out pretty far. Tubes /rope is all at forum member recommendations.
That really is a ton of spray! I don't have anywhere close to that, it looks like you are high in the stern which is causing that, but I'm not certain why. Do you have people in the bow on that picture? That would help to cause that as well
Ha thanks ! Thanks to you and others I have definitely done my research over the past 6 months so I know this would be an issue but seems like even for the length of rope / tube inflation ect it was pretty severe. Yes, I would say 1 person was in back and rest (2 kids and an adult) are up front ) so maybe both adults in back. I will try the ballasts and see if they sinks the back enough. The boat has plenty of power so my guess it will help putting some weight in back. Next time I’m out I’ll report back.

Dumb question but if I use surfpointe/ballast but don’t have a speed setting can I tube at a pretty high rate (25-35 mph) without doing any damage other than horrible gas mileage ?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There’s nothing lethargic about this boat….. The boat has plenty of power. So much so the jet spray is incredibly powerful and goes out pretty far. Tubes /rope is all at forum member recommendations.

Ha thanks ! Thanks to you and others I have definitely done my research over the past 6 months so I know this would be an issue but seems like even for the length of rope / tube inflation ect it was pretty severe. Yes, I would say 1 person was in back and rest (2 kids and an adult) are up front ) so maybe both adults in back. I will try the ballasts and see if they sinks the back enough. The boat has plenty of power so my guess it will help putting some weight in back. Next time I’m out I’ll report back.

Dumb question but if I use surfpointe/ballast but don’t have a speed setting can I tube at a pretty high rate (25-35 mph) without doing any damage other than horrible gas mileage ?
I don't have either of those systems, but that's around what I tow at. I have a wide open lake, and just adults, so I would look to others for more appropriate advice on that. If it's at all busy, like on holidays, we hit the Sandbar instead.

It just hit me, that I also have the Thrust Vector Wake original version, and the ladder attachment may be what's limiting my spray as well, in comparison to yours, but your weight displacement of the passengers could be the issue, and your ballast system can overcome that. I expect using that, you'll have a much better experience.

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I don't have either of those systems, but that's around what I tow at. I have a wide open lake, and just adults, so I would look to others for more appropriate advice on that. If it's at all busy, like on holidays, we hit the Sandbar instead.

It just hit me, that I also have the Thrust Vector Wake original version, and the ladder attachment may be what's limiting my spray as well, in comparison to yours, but your weight displacement of the passengers could be the issue, and your ballast system can overcome that. I expect using that, you'll have a much better experience.
Appreciate it . I will look into that. I do have the ladder attachment in back as well.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You could try some heavy horse mat to help cut down on the spray. Some were trying that as a means to help clean up spray when surfing. Might work at higher speeds for tubing. Check the water sports section for horse mat mods.

Also consider if enough people are sitting in the bow it can cause the bow to drop and the stern to lift which will also throw more spray.

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You could try some heavy horse mat to help cut down on the spray. Some were trying that as a means to help clean up spray when surfing. Might work at higher speeds for tubing. Check the water sports section for horse mat mods.

Also consider if enough people are sitting in the bow it can cause the bow to drop and the stern to lift which will also throw more spray.
Thanks for the info. I’ll look up that info