• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

The boat leans forward when idle on the water

nicknick

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 2010 AR240 sits in the water in the marina, and one thing I noticed is that floor level is lower in the bow and higher in the back. Thus when I rinse it inside the water doesn't flow to the back to go out. Instead it flows to the bow and even goes to the ski locker. Also it stays under the driver's seat. I have only two anchors at the bow, no other heavy stuff. Empty or full fuel tank and full 40 liters water tank at the stern makes very little difference. I tried to attach the mooring line to the back so it pulls down a bit, but still no big difference - the boat leans forward. The only thing that helps is two people standing on a swimming platform while I rinse. But still after every rain I have water on the floor and in the ski locker.
Anybody has the same issue?

This sounds very odd to me, the weight of the motors and swim platform should be more than enough to sit the stern lower I'm the water.

My 192 definitely pools water the same way towards the bow when just floating.
I figured it was just a function of the hull design.
Several people on the swim platform or plowing through the water below plaining speed will bring water to the stern.
Seemed to be normal for the boat design.

@nicknick glad to have you on board, update your profile page with your location and it will automatically put you on the map,

I've not heard of this before but I could understand the potential problem with the scupper at the back of the boat, hopefully some more 2010 ar240 owners will comment,
@Boat Crazy is the 2010 the same hull design as yours?

Last edited:
Probably a lot to do with how flat the bottoms of the aft end of our boats are. I haven't noticed this in my boat, but I could totally see this happening in the 19' boats. In looking at the pictures of various boats lined up, the "flatness" of the 19' boats seems to be a larger percentage of he hull than the 24' boats.

I fixed mine....by going WFO......lol

The scupper valve is a centrifugal drain. You have to be moving to get maximum use from it. Washing the boat down while on the water won't get much drainage at all. You will have to try to get the water into the bilge and up to the bilge pump. So that water level may be a few gallons in there, and it will certainly be along the entire keel beam, adding to the water level in the boat. The only way to drain these boats is to get the bow higher, and most boats are like that when on the water. They do have a trap generally, as do these boats, but your still floating a 29 to 24 foot boat level, and that water will spread out over the entire bilge and even into some compartments before the bilge pump can pick it up. @latitudeadjuster is joking, but he hit the nail on the head. An easy way to get rid of the water after a bath, is to just go run it for 10 minutes...it will drain fast that way!

Thank you for your answers! Once I forgot to open drain plug in the ski locker when the boat was docked in the marina, and after a heavy rain it was full of water as well as the storage compartment, up to the floor level :). If the bow is higher than the stern the water would pass right to the drainage pipe (not to the bilge!) and would not go to the ski locker. But the bow is lower, the water overflows the groove under the edges of ski locker hatch and goes inside ski locker and then to the bilge if the drain plug is open. The same happens when I wash the boat on the water, and I do it after every ride because I use the boat in salt water.
It's interesting if Yamaha improved this in 2015 models.

Nick, do you keep your boat on a lift? It isn't advisable to keep a Yamaha in the water permanently in salt water. I see you only have two posts and I missed that, I should have welcomed you first! Your boat is in Greece? Did you buy it there or have it shipped there? Once again, welcome!

@txav8r, @Scottintexas, thanks for welcoming! I am from Moscow, Russia actually and spend about 2 months a year in Greek waters. Not possible to keep the boat on a lift, the only two choices are:
a) keep in in the marina with shore power and fresh water
b) mooring in the "open sea" 50 m from the shore in front of the house - no fresh water, no electricity.
For three previous seasons with the outboard motor (Yamaha 150) I used mooring in front of the house, no problems at all. The hull was clean, there were no problems with batteries, never rinsed it with fresh water for 2 months, no single trace of corrosion on the engine.
When bought AR240 decided to try to keep it in the marina. I did not use the boat much this season, but keeping in the marina is great - good service, fresh water to rinse, shore power to charge batteries, convenient loading/unloading, but the hull becomes very dirty in 10 days. Already tired of cleaning it all the time :)
The boat I bought was very intensively used by previous owner, there are some tracks of corrosion, not fatal I hope :) I will check anodes every out. And of course cleaning/winterizing in the end of the season. 11 months in dry dock and 2 month in the water should not be a problem for a boat.

Last edited:
Welcome @nicknick , glad to have you here.... MOSCOW RUSSIA!!!! and we complain about our boating season here.. you only get 2 months when you are in Greece. I feel bad for you my friend...:D:Welcome:

Welcome Aboard!

My 2010 AR240 sits in the water in the marina, and one thing I noticed is that floor level is lower in the bow and higher in the back. Thus when I rinse it inside the water doesn't flow to the back to go out. Instead it flows to the bow and even goes to the ski locker. Also it stays under the driver's seat. I have only two anchors at the bow, no other heavy stuff. Empty or full fuel tank and full 40 liters water tank at the stern makes very little difference. I tried to attach the mooring line to the back so it pulls down a bit, but still no big difference - the boat leans forward. The only thing that helps is two people standing on a swimming platform while I rinse. But still after every rain I have water on the floor and in the ski locker.
Anybody has the same issue?
That's an interesting problem @nicknick. When was the last time this boat was out of the water. If you can trailer the boat I would raise the nose up using the trailer jack and remove ALL plugs including the bilge plug and see how much water drains out. I would also check the hull for gelcoat blisters. You have an AR model. Do you have the stock Yamaha tower? Do you have any ballast bags on board even if you don't use them? I suspect no on the bags but I had to ask. Do you have an after market stereo, amplifier and additional batteries? Any other after market add ons? Try moving your two anchors as far back as possible (temporarily) just to see if that changes your center of gravity. Is your anchor locker dry and the locker drain unblocked?

@Gym, last time I raised the nose on the trailer having all plugs open the amount of water was quite significant - about 20-30 litres (5-7 gal). It was definitely from somewhere in front because I pumped out all water from the engine compartment before I took the boat out. The ski locker was dry, the anchor locker is dry as well, I have drainage in it so all water goes outside. The tower is stock but there are four speakers and wakeboard holders on it, and bimini of course. On the front wall of the right storage there are two amplifiers. Two anchors - one in the anchor locker and one under the left bow seat.
In the back I have two batteries, the charger, all things like tools, shore power cable, flares, rope lines etc. AND 5 gals of gasoline in the canister AND 40 l (9 gal or so) water tank. This tank alone when full should overweight the extra anchor and amplifiers. Next time I will try to move the anchor under the back seat.
For the next season I will also remove the front ladder, never used it, and actually it is annoying to put it out just to get the anchor. Also I would put a cleat for the anchor somewhere in the middle of the nose, as it is much better, comfortable and safe to keep the nose straight against the wind/waves while anchoring in the choppy sea. Where do you guys tie the anchor rope?

@GymWhere do you guys tie the anchor rope?
In the anchor locker, the plate on the back of the bow eye bolt has a hole designed into it where the "bitter end" of the anchor rode is intended to be tied off secure. If your plate is missing, installing it there is a piece of cake.

@txav8r , as far as I understand this plate is just for safety, so that when the main anchor tie (on a left bow or right bow cleat) fails you won't loose your anchor. Any other options besides left/right bow cleats? Bow eye maybe, but it is not very convenient to lean outside to secure the rope...

In my 2014 242, this was the first thing I noticed. All of my gear is in the mid or aft part of the boat.

I loop my anchor line through the bow eye then tie it off to a cleat, so it pulls straight from the bow but I have it tied to the cleat

@billyb , Do you keep your boat in the water?
Probably I should put some weight on a swim platform while in the marina, e.g. ballast bag for 25 gal? :)

I keep my boat on a lift in the water.

I noticed it the first time I drove my boat bone dry. Just something I got used to...

Back