• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

The dreaded cover while trailering thread

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So Im going to lake winnipesaukee a good 3 hour plus highway ride. Seems around lately here a daily thunder storm is inevitable. Last year I traveled with the cover on and poles up. Not sure how Im gonna go this time.

Cover on, poles down. Rain won't pool at highway speeds!

Reactions: 007
When I trailer for an extended trip like that I leave the poles in, but not up. In other words, they're attached to the cleats with the cover secured over the straps, but I don't stand the poles up. This way, while driving, there's no tension on the cover, yet if I stop somewhere and it is raining, all I have to do is jump in and push the poles up. It's also helpful if you arrive at your destination late and you don't want to have to take the cover off to put the poles in, then put the cover back on.

I trailered mooring cover on without poles with a split noodle over the windshield approximately 2500 miles round trip to Fort Lauderdale averaging over 70 but up to 85 at some times. My cover is old but it held up fine.

Maybe you should start a pole.
Regarding how people trailer. Make it a 2 part, Less than 50 miles and more than 50 miles, for example. Maybe 3 part; type of cover

Personally I always trailer with poles always installed.
Whenever my cover is on, then my poles are installed.

I also use the pool noodle trick on the windshield like @Bruce. The cover was leaving residue on the metal frame of the windshield. It didn't take long to realize that the cover would wear through without protection.

I should add that I expected to see my old cover fall apart on the way to Fort Lauderdale so I was excited when it made it home!

No poles. I travel highway speeds often.
that being said, my cover is very faded from sun (previous owner) and may need to be replaced. Looks thin. I noodle the windshield

Noodled windshield and all of my towing is at highway speeds. I tow with the poles in but the back straps not hooked up so there is no sign of a pole when pulling. I think my cover is the original from 08 so it will be replaced this winter.

I do somewhere.....but not on my phone. There actually is one on the forum but I can't find it. I think I may have done overkill but it works. I did 3 noodles up top, one going all the way across and one on each side going down. I also did 2 smaller noodles up front (bow area )that cover the grab rails.

I think the age and style of the cover make a considerable difference in results. My 212x cover at about 4 years old shredded last year on the highway, the fail point was at the seam and joint that wraps around the rear tower mount, a real weak point. tore straight across the back left/right.

we did a 3 car convoy down 95 to Ft Lauderdale recently, the two others had new (tight) covers and no towers, nothing flapped or varied. it was a solid fit. One did poles, the other did not. I'd also guess their covers were of a better quality than mine . Mine is a Yamaha mooring cover.

As for the flapping: Last week I towed 1 hour at nominal speeds. Not known to me the rear ratchet clamp loosened up and was flapping !! End result was the black bag with 2 sharp edged ratchets in it beat the crap out of my swim deck and fiberglass at the step. This will be today's project to "repair".....
photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Non tower people, I left my bimini top upright with the cover on it. Should I be laying down for this trip

That is painful to look at....good luck on the repair.

Reactions: 007
Non tower people, I left my bimini top upright with the cover on it. Should I be laying down for this trip
I always tow with the bimini covered and lowered

Unless I'm traveling to Florida , I utilize my bow and cockpit covers with the poles in when I trailer the boat. I typically boat in Lake Erie and it's 180 miles round trip. I have the original shipping cover and I'm not sure it does any better for long distance travel.

If you have a new black mooring cover the manufacturer states to tow with the poles in. The shipping cover is poles out.

The bimini should be detached from the tower and stowed in the boat for long trips. I've had the clip tension loosen on my bimini and resulted in the bimini flapping against the tower.

I was the one who towed 20 hours each way to and from Ft. Lauderdale with poles in on my premium black mooring cover. No stretching or any damage.

I come from the pre-noodle towing days.....I used a wide roll of blue painter's tape over all the rub points, window edges, any spots where the cover rubbed the gel coat and even the rails on the bow. I wrapped towels around the lowered bimini cover. We went from Redondo Beach to Shasta with stops in between. Put about 1500 miles on the trailer that trip with no problems whatsoever - trailer or boat.
Now that the cover has "matured" I'm not sure it would handle a trip of any considerable distance, but I'd probably do things the same way - with the addition of the noodles on the window edges - so in answer to your question...

Go with what has worked for you in the past...improvements are always welcome. :cool:

Found it!!!

20140425_192410-jpg.4649

Back