• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Florida Keys. (a lil' advice request)

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, looking for a little advice. My Mom has offered to pay for a stay somewhere for my sisters family and mine this spring/summer. Its my sis 40th bday. shes picked KEY WEST-I've Never been further south than Jacksonville..

The only "beachy" vibe with clear, warm water (in the US) i have to compare it to is Gulf shores/orange beach. We loved that, but all 4 got sick on the trip :(

I generally find that asking fellow boaters questions, even about completely non-boating related topics provides pretty accurate answers... being we share a similar view on how to have fun.... and the work it takes to do it. Generally, similar demographics... Also, theres seemingly a TON of you jetboat guys in Florida lol So throwing this in here, Hoping maybe someone can help me out with some Advice for best place to stay, beach or other place to visit, boat/jet ski and scooter to rent...etc

thinking out loud here....im sure Ill think of other stuff.

-trip will be mid june, unfortunately. I'd rather it be sooner.... but I've taken another soccer coaching gig that will keep me busy until then.
-thinking it will be 4 days staying there. Then a day of driving - exploring the keys/miami either side.
-8 people. 4 adults 4 children. she has younger non-adventurous type daughters. My boys are 13 and 17 and will be snorkeling etc..
-This will be a Non boat trip, but watersports by way of jet ski or boat will be happening for certain. Also renting scooters(for us and our boys)
-we prefer condo style with kitchen, but hotel or resort wont be bad
-beachfront is preferred but not a deal breaker since i'm not paying for it lol ocean view would be nice though. Place to sit and watch boats go by...
-not crazy enthused about huge throngs of people, but understand its going to happen.
-oh....the first place I sent her was like 670/night and she balked at it. Not trying to break my mom here... LOL budget is a consideration, out of respect. :)
-not a fan of captive sea creatures for human amusement, but sis and her girls are so... some sort of dolphin experience would be in order.

This wasn't my choice, but again, it'll be partially paid for so....and the place looks gorgeous... So, help me make the best of it!

thanks!

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have done the trip a couple times and have stayed at THE GALLEON. It's a condo style with kitchen. Nice but not five star.
You can find some units on VRBO I believe

Last edited:

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If your looking for a beach vacation I wouldn’t pick key west. Not really but a couple of places with beachfront access. With out a boat I’m done in Key West in about 2 Days. You could stay in town then head to Bahia Honda state Park for beach fun. Upper and middle keys are a better for beach vacations. But if your looking for restaurants and bars and nightlife key west is your place.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done the trip a couple times and have stayed at THE GALLEON. It's a condo style with kitchen. Nice but not five star.
You can fine some units on VRBO I believe
thanks! dont need a bunch of stars :)

If your looking for a beach vacation I wouldn’t pick key west. Not really but a couple of places with beachfront access. With out a boat I’m done in Key West in about 2 Days. You could stay in town then head to Bahia Honda state Park for beach fun. Upper and middle keys are a better for beach vacations. But if your looking for restaurants and bars and nightlife key west is your place.

That's what I'm seeing. But that's what she picked lol And, really, anything within a few minutes is gonna be great, being midwesterners. Florida peeps have room to be picky. ;)

Where I should I look farther up?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Apologies in advance for a slight hijack, but we are headed down there in September and I'll likely rent a boat for a day. Anyone have any suggestions on places to go by boat?

To the topic at hand, I'd definitely do some work on VRBO, I've been down a half dozen times, and renting a house with that group size is definitely the way to go - you can usually get one with a small pool. As others have said, not much in the way of beaches.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you looking for more a resort style beach vacation Look at hawks cay resort. I really like islamorado area but again you will find small pieces of beach. The Theater of the Sea is there (I have never to it ). I think you can swim with dolphins there etc.

Ralph MIA

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Take a look at Hawks Cay Resort on Duck Key. Great amenities and plenty of activities to keep everyone busy.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Marathon-key largo.. will have rentals good food and day trip to key west for the experience.

Hawks cay resort seems super nice.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thanks folks! and hijack away @seanmclean more data is always better.

Funny though, i found something in my VRBO/homeaway searches randomly. I think Ill take just my fam to do on a future vaca... Somehow found myself looking at Sanibel, Ft myers, Cape Coral area... What you get for your dollar there is much better. Homes with the boat lift on a canal etc... Definitely on the list for us. If not... a place like that might be where we go and LIVE when the kidlets leave the nest.....

I did see one that you could rent their Yamaha jet boat with the property. Almost tried to redirect the whole vaca... but really...Don't think id take my sis and her fam. Id be pissy if they didnt want to go boating one day lol

Also, i think I might try out the Turo rental service. Either rent something cool. or just cheap....

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@seanmclean you like fishing middle to northern keys.. much more snorkeling in those areas as well.

Check out marvin key (ask rental place how to access it) it's nice area. Atlantic aide is deep. Gulf side shallow and can get trapped quickly.

I like key west as a day trip place but I'm not into tons of night life.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have stayed o. Bahia Honda before in a motor home. We did not have a boat. We were in the keys for a week. We drove to key west only twice, it was fun but there was only so much drinking to be done. Mallory square sunset was nice the first time. We spent a lot of our time in Islamorado and Marathon. We chartered from islamorado. Fun trip, it would have been a lot better in our own boat. Have fun and watch out for the key deer. They are tiny and are hard to see at night. I believe they are endangered or at least protected.