• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Little Prius that could ( transmission fluid & engine oil analysis after towing)

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
quick update on the little Prius that could...

I did brake fluid change on both the Prius ( june 2016 purchase) and the f150 ( November 2016 purchase) . The brake fluid looked rather clean on all 4 wheels, while the F150 rear wheel has very dark fluid in them (front was rather clean). Kind of interesting since the Prius has retrieved the ski more often than the truck has retrieved the boat. And the Prius has been dipped in salt water while the truck never tasted salt water.

I wonder if the fact the Prius is hybrid and does not use its brakes very much has to do anything with it. Or maybe just awesome Toyota engineering!!! no clue.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regenerative breaking helps reduce wear on brakes a great deal. Those pads only get used if you stop abruptly, otherwise the charging/regenerative breaking takes over with no pad wear.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regenerative breaking helps reduce wear on brakes a great deal. Those pads only get used if you stop abruptly, otherwise the charging/regenerative breaking takes over with no pad wear.
I can see it on the pads themseves. I am have 127,000 miles on them and they are not even half way through, but fluid too!!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is no direct connection from the brake pedal to the brakes. It is all electronic.
Brakes last forever on Prius
@Beachbummer is 100% correct
Not even a safety fail over? I thought even the new C8 (that had a lot of drama over the brake by wire system at release) had an emergency override setup?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not even a safety fail over? I thought even the new C8 (that had a lot of drama over the brake by wire system at release) had an emergency override setup?
Almost every brake system has a direct mechanical connection from the pedal with a power assist of some kind to the master cylinder. A prius and other toyota hybrids use an electronic brake pedal. The master cylinder is on the passenger side which has no mechanical connection only wired connection

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The fail over is most likely like air brakes. No air (connection) the brakes will lock up.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Quick note on my love affair with my 127,000miles Prius.

This is quite redundant and fully consistant with what @Neutron and yall have said. But because I cannot help myself I will make a comment.
I just finished changed the transmission fluid on my 150 ( 67,000 miles). That was dirty as hell. however both times that I have changed on the prius, it looked almost like new.

I am so very itching to buy the hybrid Tundra when it comes out, but my F150 is in such a good shape, and aside from that it has been all but very faithful to our household. A workhorse indeed. Maybe I should have 2 truck, as a back up you know....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeeze, where are you driving that you need to change the oil every month?!
well... simple math. Base on the mileage and truck age, those changes would average around 5k miles, maybe a touch more, up to 10k, no?

Caught my eye, too, as that's actually what I do, too, I follow "severe" PM service schedule due to towing, a fair amount. in my case it averages every 5-6 months or so.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick note on my love affair with my 127,000miles Prius.

This is quite redundant and fully consistant with what @Neutron and yall have said. But because I cannot help myself I will make a comment.
I just finished changed the transmission fluid on my 150 ( 67,000 miles). That was dirty as hell. however both times that I have changed on the prius, it looked almost like new.

I am so very itching to buy the hybrid Tundra when it comes out, but my F150 is in such a good shape, and aside from that it has been all but very faithful to our household. A workhorse indeed. Maybe I should have 2 truck, as a back up you know....
That f150 will always have a good home in my driveway, go ahead and get the tundra

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
well... simple math. Base on the mileage and truck age, those changes would average around 5k miles, maybe a touch more, up to 10k, no?

Caught my eye, too, as that's actually what I do, too, I follow "severe" PM service schedule due to towing, a fair amount. in my case it averages every 5-6 months or so.

--
I guess if you break it down - 161 miles a day is all. If it was a business vehicle I could see that easily. I'd be interested in what, if any, preventative maintenance he did to the transmission and drive components. Also, that's a break job once a year at the least!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That f150 will always have a good home in my driveway, go ahead and get the tundra
you know the biggest hick up with the tundra is that do not offer jump seat on the front and we really like that. Btw I just ordered a 10.1 Android radio display for the CrV. Keeping my fingers crossed it will work out like I am hoping.